* DTE 3181e
@ 2003-02-26  5:44 Pablo B
From: Pablo B @ 2003-02-26  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi!

I am trying to use an ancient DTC 3181e SCSI card with
the 2.4.20 kernel. However, whenever I load the
g_NCR5380 module with a SCSI device on, it inmediately
freezes the computer hard. The system gets completely
hung, needs a hard reset to restart (no Alt-SysRq
magic keys available).
I've been looking for information on the Net, but I
could not find anybody with similar problems.

Does anyone have current information about this
card/driver combination? Or whom I could reach to ask
questions about the driver?

Please CC to me, as I am not subcribed to the list if
you have information.

Thank you very much!

Bye & Good Luck!

Pablo B.

------------
¡Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión!
Usuario "yahoo", contraseña "yahoo".
Desde Buenos Aires, 4004-1010.
Otras ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar/avanzados.html

* Re: DTE 3181e
@ 2003-02-26 14:06 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-02-26 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 05:44, Pablo B wrote:
> I am trying to use an ancient DTC 3181e SCSI card with
> the 2.4.20 kernel. However, whenever I load the
> g_NCR5380 module with a SCSI device on, it inmediately
> freezes the computer hard. The system gets completely
> hung, needs a hard reset to restart (no Alt-SysRq
> magic keys available).
> I've been looking for information on the Net, but I
> could not find anybody with similar problems.

The driver is a bit cranky to say the least. It gets deeply
upset if the bus locks for example. I did a lot of work on it
in 2.5 and the 2.5 one seems to be stable and a lot better
on my test box with a similar card (53c400a with no IRQ)

* Re: DTE 3181e
@ 2003-02-27 11:40 ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2003-02-27 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo B; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Pablo B wrote:

> I am trying to use an ancient DTC 3181e SCSI card with
> the 2.4.20 kernel. However, whenever I load the
> g_NCR5380 module with a SCSI device on, it inmediately
> freezes the computer hard. The system gets completely
> hung, needs a hard reset to restart (no Alt-SysRq
> magic keys available).
> I've been looking for information on the Net, but I
> could not find anybody with similar problems.
>
> Does anyone have current information about this
> card/driver combination? Or whom I could reach to ask
> questions about the driver?

If I recall correctly (I sold my DTC-3181E), you need to use the
sym53c400 driver with dtc3181e= option (check the sym53c400 code or
README in drivers/scsi/ for the exact syntax), not the g_NCR5380 driver.

It used to work for me, but I don't recall which kernel version, likely
2.2.18 or something.

Better get a real adaptor if you have a spare PCI slot though... the
DTC-3181E doesn't do DMA as far as I know and will hardly exploit the
Fast-SCSI bandwidth to the full extent: ISA is the bottle's neck.

--
Matthias Andree

* RE: DTE 3181e
@ 2003-02-26  6:41 Jonathan Thorpe
From: Jonathan Thorpe @ 2003-02-26  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel; +Cc: pablob127

Pablo,

This may not be the most appropriate group to post this message, but I too
have such card. It's an ancient ISA SCSI device that lacks an IRQ
capability. I had mine briefly working on an old Genius ColorPage-CS
scanner, but it would only do very low (70dpi!!) resolution (the g_NCR5380
does not work too well with this card - there are no other drivers that
will even touch it) otherwise it would hang.

I am currently in the process of replacing this card with one that is more
supported on Linux. I don't think (unfortunately; for the both of us) that
this card will ever work properly on Linux (there were discussions about
it in 1997-1998 when the card was more available - bundled with devices
such as scanners, but nothing ever came about).

If you manage to prove me wrong (which I wish you would), please let me
know. I really wouldn't mind getting my card working on Linux.

Thanks,
Jonathan Thorpe