* v2.5.32 - v2.5.64+ Locks at Boot with Athlon Machine
@ 2003-03-12 16:32 Jim Peterson
From: Jim Peterson @ 2003-03-12 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

  I've tried versions 2.5.32, 2.5.59, 2.5.61, and 2.5.64, as well as version 2.5.31 and
  earlier on my machine.  Every version from 2.5.32 and above locks up after printing:

        Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.

  I've noticed there have been some significant changes in what I understand of the boot
  process at this point, but I can't decipher the assembly hardly at all well enough to
  try to investigate further.  Is there any place that I can acquire a set of the
  separate, unrelated patches that happened between 2.5.31 (which boots) and 2.5.32?
  I'm basically a trained monkey when it comes to debugging this kind of thing, so I'm
  going to have to try the old "back out a patch and see if it works" technique.

  My config file is pretty bare-bones, I've tried with and without the "mem=nopentium"
  and "noauto" kernel parameters (as dredged up via Google).  I've also tried replacing
  setup.S from v2.5.31, this just immediately reboots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
--Jim

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 4
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 1391.718
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 2778.72

CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_ISA=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_MK7=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=6
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_3DNOW=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_8139TOO=m
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=m
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y
CONFIG_I8042_REG_BASE=60
CONFIG_I8042_KBD_IRQ=1
CONFIG_I8042_AUX_IRQ=12
CONFIG_SERIO_SERPORT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=m
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_QUOTA=y
CONFIG_QUOTACTL=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_JBD=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=m
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_MINIX_FS=m
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_3=m
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES=y

* Re: v2.5.32 - v2.5.64+ Locks at Boot with Athlon Machine
@ 2003-03-14 12:09 ` Karl Vogel
From: Karl Vogel @ 2003-03-14 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On 12 Mar 2003, you wrote in linux.kernel:

>   I've tried versions 2.5.32, 2.5.59, 2.5.61, and 2.5.64, as well as
>   version 2.5.31 and earlier on my machine.  Every version from 2.5.32
>   and above locks up after printing:
>
>         Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
>
>   I've noticed there have been some significant changes in what I
>   understand of the boot process at this point, but I can't decipher
>   the assembly hardly at all well enough to try to investigate
>   further.  Is there any place that I can acquire a set of the
>   separate, unrelated patches that happened between 2.5.31 (which
>   boots) and 2.5.32? I'm basically a trained monkey when it comes to
>   debugging this kind of thing, so I'm going to have to try the old
>   "back out a patch and see if it works" technique.
>
>   My config file is pretty bare-bones, I've tried with and without the
>   "mem=nopentium" and "noauto" kernel parameters (as dredged up via
>   Google).  I've also tried replacing setup.S from v2.5.31, this just
>   immediately reboots.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
> --Jim

I'm having the same problem with 2.5.64 (haven't tried another dev kernel
yet). The system boots, prints the

'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.'

message and then locks up. After 2-3 seconds the capslock led turns off and
then the system is totally locked, requiring a press of the reset button to
reset the system (CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work). SysRq doesn't work either.

My system specs:
- AthlonXP 1700
- VIA KT266A chipset / 512Mb DDR ram
- normal keyboard (no USB) and PS/2 mouse
- GeForce4 Ti4600 videocard (kernel not compiled with framebuffer)
- 3 IDE UDMA harddisks, 1 IDE CD-RW attached

* Re: v2.5.32 - v2.5.64+ Locks at Boot with Athlon Machine
@ 2003-03-15 13:45   ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2003-03-15 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Vogel, linux-kernel; +Cc: Jim Peterson

Did you turn on console support in your .config?
	CONFIG_VT=y
	CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
You will need to compile input support into the kernel (i.e. not as a module):
	CONFIG_INPUT=y
I hope this helps,

Duncan.

* Re: v2.5.32 - v2.5.64+ Locks at Boot with Athlon Machine
@ 2003-03-17 16:09     ` Jim Peterson
From: Jim Peterson @ 2003-03-17 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Duncan Sands, Karl Vogel, linux-kernel

At 02:45 PM 3/15/2003 +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:
>Did you turn on console support in your .config?
>        CONFIG_VT=y
>        CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
>You will need to compile input support into the kernel (i.e. not as a module):
>        CONFIG_INPUT=y
>I hope this helps,

Drat!

  This was indeed the problem.  I'm not sure how my .config file lost that setting.
  Anyhow, I'm now happily running 2.5.64.  Sorry for the trouble.

Thank you,
--Jim

* Re: v2.5.32 - v2.5.64+ Locks at Boot with Athlon Machine
       [not found]   ` <20030315135007$71e8@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2003-03-15 23:03     ` Karl Vogel
From: Karl Vogel @ 2003-03-15 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

> Did you turn on console support in your .config?
> CONFIG_VT=y
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> You will need to compile input support into the kernel (i.e. not as a
> module): CONFIG_INPUT=y
> I hope this helps,

Whoopsy.. was missing the first 2. Stupid error on my part. Thanks for the
tip.