* Process falls into uninterruptible sleep
@ 2003-04-09 17:26 Michael Buesch
       [not found] ` <20030410091050.1bd8a8b2.hv@mail.tm>
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-04-09 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi.

I have a problem, since I'm using linux-2.4.21-pre6

Sometimes (there seems to be no reason for it) a process
(doesn't matter what process) falls into an
"uninterruptible sleep" while doing something with it.
This problem isn't reproducible or bound to a specific process.
It happens when it "want's to happen" :)

Here an example of a locked kmail:

mb@lfs:~> ps aux | grep kmail
mb       27979  0.2  8.8 43124 22728 ?       D    15:56   0:35 kmail

I'm not able to kill the processes.
I don't know if it is really a kernel-problem, but I think it is one.

Regards
Michael Buesch.

--
My homepage: http://www.8ung.at/tuxsoft
fighting for peace is like fu**ing for virginity

* Re: Process falls into uninterruptible sleep
       [not found] ` <20030410091050.1bd8a8b2.hv@mail.tm>
@ 2003-04-10 14:41   ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-04-10 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thursday 10 April 2003 03:10, hv wrote:
> I have the same fault when I use galeon or mozilla.
> If I want to use galeon or mozilla again,I must reboot my pc first.

It happened to me with mozilla
(and some other apps, that I don't remeber), too.

Regards
Michael Buesch.

--

@ 2003-04-09 20:48 ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-04-09 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 22:39, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
> Do this, try to get again kmail [or any other app to freeze]. When it is
> hung in there, do:
> [...]

Yea, I'll try it. But you know: If you try to trigger something,
it doesn't happen. :)
I'll do my very best...

Regards
Michael Buesch.

--

@ 2003-04-09 20:39 Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky
From: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky @ 2003-04-09 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Buesch'; +Cc: 'linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org'

> Michael Buesch
>
>On Wednesday 09 April 2003 21:39, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
>> uniterruptible processes cannot be killed :)
> I know. :)
> But it shouldn't fall into this sleep.

Do this, try to get again kmail [or any other app to freeze]. When it is
hung in there, do:

$ ps axfwl > ps.log.

Now get the PID of the guy and do:

$ find /proc/PID -ls -perm a+r -exec cat {} \; > proc.log

Then go to a console and do Ctrl+ScrollLock - get that output from the
klogd->syslogd and look for the entry that matches the hang process and the
PID. Record the trace and send everything. The traces will look like:

kmail         S 00000001 4291079704  4518    394                     (NOTLB)
Call Trace:
 [<c013d3b5>] do_clock_nanosleep+0x1c5/0x360
 [<c011e5c0>] default_wake_function+0x0/0x20
 [<c011e5c0>] default_wake_function+0x0/0x20
 [<c013cfa0>] nanosleep_wake_up+0x0/0x10
 [<c01107c0>] do_gettimeofday+0x20/0xb0
 [<c013d03e>] sys_nanosleep+0x6e/0x100
 [<c0109a7f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

I am trying to see what it is exactly waiting for. From your data, it is
evident that it is somewhere in the rw process where he is getting
stuck, but it needs to be confirmed and traced to a where.

Iñaky Pérez-González -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
(and my fault)

* Re: Process falls into uninterruptible sleep
       [not found] <A46BBDB345A7D5118EC90002A5072C780BEBA43A@orsmsx116.jf.intel.com>
@ 2003-04-09 20:23 ` Michael Buesch
From: Michael Buesch @ 2003-04-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 21:39, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
> uniterruptible processes cannot be killed :)
I know. :)
But it shouldn't fall into this sleep.

> Can you give more information? Like what machine do you have,
Intel Pentium 4 1.6Ghz Northwood
256MB Apacer DDR Ram CL2
MSI 845 Ultra ARU Board with latest BIOS
GeForce 4 Ti 4400
BT878-TV
SoundBlaster 128
FritzCard PCI v2
NE2k compatible NW

mb@lfs:/proc> cat devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty
  3 ttyp
  4 ttyS
  5 cua
  6 lp
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 14 sound
 21 sg
 43 ttyI
 44 cui
 45 isdn
 68 capi20
 81 video_capture
 89 i2c
 99 ppdev
108 ppp
128 ptm
136 pts
162 raw

Block devices:
  2 fd
  3 ide0
  7 loop
  9 md
 11 sr
 22 ide1
 80 i2o_block

mb@lfs:/proc> cat cmdline
root=/dev/md0 hdd=ide-scsi hdb=ide-scsi es1371=0x200 js=2btn mce vga=779 mem=262080K

mb@lfs:/proc> cat filesystems
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   sockfs
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   pipefs
        ext3
        ext2
nodev   ramfs
        msdos
        vfat
        iso9660
nodev   nfs
        reiserfs
nodev   devpts

mb@lfs:/proc> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/md0        /                       reiserfs        auto                0 1
/dev/hdc1       /boot                   ext2            auto                0 0
/dev/cdrecorder /mnt/cdrecorder         auto            ro,noauto,user,exec,nodev,nosuid 0 0
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/dvd                auto            ro,noauto,user,exec,nodev,nosuid 0 0
/dev/dvd        /mnt/dvd                auto            ro,noauto,user,exec,nodev,nosuid 0 0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy             auto            noauto,user,sync,nodev,nosuid    0 0
proc            /proc                   proc            defaults            0 0
/dev/hda1       /mnt/win                vfat            noauto,user         0 0
/dev/hdc6       /mnt/suse               reiserfs        noauto,user         0 0
#/dev/hdc5      /mnt/suse/boot          ext2            noauto,user         0 0
/dev/hda2       swap                    swap            pri=42              0 0
/dev/hdc2       swap                    swap            pri=42              0 0
#usbdevfs       /proc/bus/usb           usbdevfs        defaults,noauto     0 0
192.168.0.50:/mnt/nfs_1 /mnt/nfs_1      nfs             rw,hard,intr,user,nodev,nosuid,exec         0 0

mb@lfs:/proc> cat cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 2240.055
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 4469.55

> what hard disks type,
two IBM IC35L040 (I know, these disks are not the best :)
with software RAID 0 on reiserfs

mb@lfs:/proc> cat mdstat
Personalities : [raid0]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid0 hdc5[1] hda5[0]
      39065792 blocks 4k chunks

unused devices: <none>

mb@lfs:/proc> cat partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   9     0   39065792 md0
  22     0   40209120 hdc
  22     1       9544 hdc1
  22     2     292824 hdc2
  22     3          1 hdc3
  22     5   19530976 hdc5
  22     6    9765472 hdc6
  22     7   10610176 hdc7
   3     0   40209120 hda
   3     1    3903763 hda1
   3     2     289170 hda2
   3     3          1 hda3
   3     5   19535008 hda5
   3     6   16474626 hda6

>what was kmail doing when it got stuck.
I only clicked "save as..." to save a message to disk. Just after clicking
(the save-dialog didn't open) it freezed.
There were some other apps in the past, that freezed and felt into
uninterruptible sleep. There never seemed to be a reason for it.

> Memory, swap space,
(This is mem-status *now* after rebooting to kill kmail)
mb@lfs:~> cat /proc/meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  261718016 157396992 104321024        0  9895936 56741888
Swap: 595943424 41193472 554749952
MemTotal:       255584 kB
MemFree:        101876 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:          9664 kB
Cached:          49892 kB
SwapCached:       5520 kB
Active:          26460 kB
Inactive:       103076 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       255584 kB
LowFree:        101876 kB
SwapTotal:      581976 kB
SwapFree:       541748 kB

mb@lfs:/proc> cat swaps
Filename                        Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda2                       partition       289160  20120   42
/dev/hdc2                       partition       292816  20108   42

> attached devices,
There's no external device connected. (no printer, scanner, etc...)

> distro,
LinuxFromScratch

> configuration of the kernel ... etc?
grep "=[y|m]" .config
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_KMOD=y
CONFIG_MPENTIUM4=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_HAS_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_PGE=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_X86_F00F_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_UP_IOAPIC=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_NET=y
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_KCORE_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_PM=y
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_1284=y
CONFIG_PNP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_MD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=y
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_NET_IPGRE=y
CONFIG_INET_ECN=y
CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MAC=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_PKTTYPE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MARK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ECN=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LENGTH=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TCPMSS=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_UNCLEAN=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MIRROR=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TOS=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MARK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=y
CONFIG_ATM=y
CONFIG_ATM_CLIP=y
CONFIG_ATM_CLIP_NO_ICMP=y
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y
CONFIG_I2O=y
CONFIG_I2O_PCI=y
CONFIG_I2O_BLOCK=y
CONFIG_I2O_LAN=y
CONFIG_I2O_SCSI=y
CONFIG_I2O_PROC=y
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=y
CONFIG_EQUALIZER=y
CONFIG_TUN=y
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_NE2K_PCI=y
CONFIG_PPP=y
CONFIG_PPP_FILTER=y
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=y
CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=y
CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=y
CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=y
CONFIG_PPPOE=y
CONFIG_PPPOATM=y
CONFIG_SLIP=y
CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED=y
CONFIG_SLIP_SMART=y
CONFIG_SLIP_MODE_SLIP6=y
CONFIG_ISDN=y
CONFIG_ISDN_BOOL=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_BSDCOMP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_AUDIO=y
CONFIG_ISDN_TTY_FAX=y
CONFIG_ISDN_DIVERSION=y
CONFIG_ISDN_DRV_HISAX=y
CONFIG_ISDN_HISAX=y
CONFIG_HISAX_EURO=y
CONFIG_HISAX_FRITZ_PCIPNP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI=y
CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI_CAPI20=y
CONFIG_ISDN_CAPI_CAPIDRV=y
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_PRINTER=y
CONFIG_PPDEV=y
CONFIG_I2C=y
CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT=y
CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV=y
CONFIG_I2C_PROC=y
CONFIG_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_PSMOUSE=y
CONFIG_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_SOFT_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_INTEL_RNG=y
CONFIG_NVRAM=y
CONFIG_RTC=y
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_JBD=y
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFS_V3=y
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_15=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SOUND_BT878=y
CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371=y
CONFIG_SOUND_TVMIXER=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE=y
CONFIG_ZLIB_DEFLATE=y

mb@lfs:/proc> cat version
Linux version 2.4.21-pre6 (root@lfs) (gcc version 3.2.2) #3 Sam Apr 5 20:23:37 CEST 2003

> It looks like the process is getting really stuck while reading/writing
> from/to disk. You want to check the kernel messages, to see if there
> is something there.
Nothing unusual in syslog.

Thank you for your help.