* setting LAA in token ring
@ 2003-04-10  5:01 Prasanta Sadhukhan
From: Prasanta Sadhukhan @ 2003-04-10  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Our cardbus driver   supports LAA but when
we are giving this command 'ifconfig  tr0 hw tr 4000DEADBEEF' but we are
getting
SIOCSIFHWADDR: Invalid argument

Is there any prerequisites fot this command to be given?

Thanking you all
Prasanta

* Re: setting LAA in token ring
@ 2003-04-10 21:02 ` Mike Phillips
From: Mike Phillips @ 2003-04-10 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:31:42AM +0530 or sometime in the same epoch, Prasanta Sadhukhan scribbled:
> Hi,
>     Our cardbus driver   supports LAA but when
> we are giving this command 'ifconfig  tr0 hw tr 4000DEADBEEF' but we are
> getting
> SIOCSIFHWADDR: Invalid argument
>
> Is there any prerequisites fot this command to be given?

There is a requirement for certain bit in the MSB to be set, bit 6 of 7
iirc.

Also, there is an issue with ifconfig and TR. During the 2.3 dev kernels
we changed the IEEE type of TR from 6 to a value in the 800 range. This
was done when multicast support was added as we needed to split out TR
from the other 802 protocols.

ifconfig and friends didn't realize this and barf because the return
type is wrong. I've tried submitting patches to net-tools for this
several times, but it wasn't fixed. It may be by now, but don't quote me
on it.

Mike Phillips
Linux Token Ring Project
http://www.linuxtr.net

* Re: setting LAA in token ring
@ 2003-04-11  9:24   ` Prasanta Sadhukhan
From: Prasanta Sadhukhan @ 2003-04-11  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Phillips wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:31:42AM +0530 or sometime in the same epoch, Prasanta Sadhukhan scribbled:
> > Hi,
> >     Our cardbus driver   supports LAA but when
> > we are giving this command 'ifconfig  tr0 hw tr 4000DEADBEEF' but we are
> > getting
> > SIOCSIFHWADDR: Invalid argument
> >
> > Is there any prerequisites fot this command to be given?
> >

> There is a requirement for certain bit in the MSB to be set, bit 6 of 7
> iirc.
>
> Also, there is an issue with ifconfig and TR. During the 2.3 dev kernels
> we changed the IEEE type of TR from 6 to a value in the 800 range. This
> was done when multicast support was added as we needed to split out TR
> from the other 802 protocols.
>
> ifconfig and friends didn't realize this and barf because the return
> type is wrong. I've tried submitting patches to net-tools for this
> several times, but it wasn't fixed. It may be by now, but don't quote me
> on it.

But the LAA feature was working in RH 7.1 which is kernel 2.4.2-2
So why suddenly this feature is returning Invalid argument in 7.2 7.3 and 8.0.
Does it mean SIOCSIFHWADDR is not supported in the kernel

> Mike Phillips
> Linux Token Ring Project
> http://www.linuxtr.net
>
> -

|            __    __          | Tata Elxsi Ltd         |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://www.tataelxsi.com             |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | Prasanta Sadhukhan                   |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  mailto:prasanta_sadhukhan@yahoo.com |