* epoll support in libevent-0.7
@ 2003-04-14 20:26 Niels Provos
From: Niels Provos @ 2003-04-14 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I just released a new version of libevent that supports Linux new
epoll mechanism; see

  http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent/

The page contains some performance comparisons for different event
notification mechanisms.

The library supports platform independent high performance network
applications.  It chooses the fastest notification mechansims
supported by the operating system.

Niels.

* re: epoll support in libevent-0.7
@ 2003-04-14 20:50 Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2003-04-14 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, provos

Niels Provos <provos () citi ! umich ! edu> wrote:

> I just released a new version of libevent that supports Linux new
> epoll mechanism; see
>
>   http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent/
>
> The page contains some performance comparisons for different event
> notification mechanisms.

Very cool.  This will probably be quite useful for many users.

BTW, Niels should perhaps mention that only the new,
level-triggered version of sys_epoll is supported.

> The library supports platform independent high performance network
> applications.  It chooses the fastest notification mechansims
> supported by the operating system.

That may not be *quite* true.  Davide and I feel the edge-triggered
version of sys_epoll can be slightly faster than the level-triggered version.
Niels disagrees, but presumably a benchmark could be arranged to
settle the question.  Of course, after Davide and I win the
argument :-), Niels will say "but the level-triggered version is easier to use",
and he'll be mostly right.

I'm stuck in /dev/epoll-land for a while, but one of these days,
maybe I'll do that benchmark.

- Dan