* ioctl to get partitions infos
@ 2003-04-17 10:01 Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2003-04-17 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi !

As I need more than 'cat /proc/partitions', I wondered if there's an
ioctl in 2.4 or 2.5 which will kindly return me all the information the
kernel knows about partition (start sector, length, type) ? (pls, don't
say that I need the parse the partition table myself ;-( )

Ludovic DROLEZ                                       Free&ALter Soft
152, rue de Grigy - Technopole Metz 2000                  57070 METZ
tel : 03 87 75 55 21                            fax : 03 87 75 19 26

* Re: ioctl to get partitions infos
@ 2003-04-17 12:23 ` Andries Brouwer
From: Andries Brouwer @ 2003-04-17 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Drolez; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 12:01:32PM +0200, Ludovic Drolez wrote:

> As I need more than 'cat /proc/partitions', I wondered if there's an
> ioctl in 2.4 or 2.5 which will kindly return me all the information the
> kernel knows about partition (start sector, length, type) ? (pls, don't
> say that I need the parse the partition table myself ;-( )

There are ioctls that will tell you start sector and length.
HDIO_GETGEO gives you start
BLKGETSIZE gives you length

I do not know what you mean by type, but the kernel doesn't know it.

(A partition may be found from a DOS-type or BSD-type or Amiga-type
or ... partition table. Each has its own ways of indicating a type
of partition. A partition can also be created by ioctl where no
partition table is involved. Then there is no type at all.
No type is used by the kernel, roughly speaking.)

Andries