* IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interrupt load
@ 2003-04-22 19:19 Chuck Ebbert
From: Chuck Ebbert @ 2003-04-22 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joe briggs; +Cc: linux-kernel

> I am today replacing the IDE RAID with a 3WARE IDE-RAID that emulates SCSI on
> the premise that the problem has to do with hardware bus arbitration.  But as
> of yet I don't have any data to support that or show improvement.

  Did you use hdparm to enable unmaskirq and 32-bit IO on normal IDE?

  With lots of activity I find 8 sector IO to work better than 16,
and 32-bit IO with sync to be no slower than 32-bit IO without it, so
I put a line like this in /etc/rc.local for each disk on HPT370:

        hdparm -c 3 -u 1 -m 8 -a 8 /dev/hde

------
 Chuck

* IDE corruption during heavy bt878-induced interrupt load
@ 2003-04-22 18:45 joe briggs
From: joe briggs @ 2003-04-22 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: motion, linux-kernel

I am seeking comments or suggestions to this problem:

I create multi-channel digital surveillance systems using cards with 4 or more
multiplexed bt878 framegrabbers; each one capturing 5 or more frames per
second on each of its two input channels (total 4 * 2 * 5 = 40 fps).
Typically I run using either a Promise or Adaptec HPT370 IDE-RAID controller
with 2 WD-120GB/8MB-cache drives striped in RAID-0, with another IDE as hda
for my system drive.  What happens is that every few seconds I get a "BTTV:
RISC ERROR - resetting" from the frame grabber driver.  After a few days of
this I have corruption on my Reiser file system; which usually I am able to
clean up with mkreiserfs --fix-fixable or --rebuild-tree.  The corruption is
both on my RAID and my system drive.  Missing doing this maintenance action
can really ruin my day.

I am today replacing the IDE RAID with a 3WARE IDE-RAID that emulates SCSI on
the premise that the problem has to do with hardware bus arbitration.  But as
of yet I don't have any data to support that or show improvement.

All comments/suggestions/etc. appreciated.

Joe

--
Joe Briggs
Briggs Media Systems