* RHAS kernel upgrade?
@ 2003-04-30  9:16 Yang-Hwee TAN
From: Yang-Hwee TAN @ 2003-04-30  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

hi,

i'm wondering is it good build if i upgrade my
RedHat Advance Server kernel via the use of the
kernel tarball downloaded from kernel.org?

--
Yang-Hwee TAN
Systems Engineer (Cluster Computing)

Bioinformatics Institute
http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg
Tel: +65 6874-1271

* Re: RHAS kernel upgrade?
@ 2003-04-30  9:26 ` venom
From: venom @ 2003-04-30  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang-Hwee TAN; +Cc: linux-kernel

why it should not?

if you do not need any particular driver not included into vanilla kernel...

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Yang-Hwee TAN wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:16:08 +0800 (SGT)
> From: Yang-Hwee TAN <tanyh@bii.a-star.edu.sg>
> To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: RHAS kernel upgrade?
>
> hi,
>
> i'm wondering is it good build if i upgrade my
> RedHat Advance Server kernel via the use of the
> kernel tarball downloaded from kernel.org?
>

> --
> Yang-Hwee TAN
> Systems Engineer (Cluster Computing)
> http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg/~tanyh
>
> Bioinformatics Institute
> http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg
> Tel: +65 6874-1271
>

> -

* Re: RHAS kernel upgrade?
@ 2003-04-30  9:30   ` Yang-Hwee TAN
From: Yang-Hwee TAN @ 2003-04-30  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: venom; +Cc: linux-kernel

looking at the rhas kernel src rpm, there's alot of patches
made into the kernel, i'm not sure if i use the plain vanilla
kernel tarball would i disable some kernel options and
"cripple" any of the RH's advance server's functionality(s).

has anyone use RHAS in a cluster environment with manual
upgrading of kernel to perhaps 2.4.20, and everything goes
well on the AS functionalities/add-ons?

-yanghwee

> why it should not?
>
> if you do not need any particular driver not included into vanilla
> kernel...
>
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Yang-Hwee TAN wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 17:16:08 +0800 (SGT)
>> From: Yang-Hwee TAN <tanyh@bii.a-star.edu.sg>
>> To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
>> Subject: RHAS kernel upgrade?
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> i'm wondering is it good build if i upgrade my
>> RedHat Advance Server kernel via the use of the
>> kernel tarball downloaded from kernel.org?
>>

>> --
>> Yang-Hwee TAN
>> Systems Engineer (Cluster Computing)
>> http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg/~tanyh
>>
>> Bioinformatics Institute
>> http://www.bii.a-star.edu.sg
>> Tel: +65 6874-1271
>>

>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
>> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
>> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

* Re: RHAS kernel upgrade?
@ 2003-04-30  9:37     ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2003-04-30  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang-Hwee TAN; +Cc: venom, linux-kernel

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 11:30, Yang-Hwee TAN wrote:
> looking at the rhas kernel src rpm, there's alot of patches
> made into the kernel, i'm not sure if i use the plain vanilla
> kernel tarball would i disable some kernel options and
> "cripple" any of the RH's advance server's functionality(s).
>
> has anyone use RHAS in a cluster environment with manual
> upgrading of kernel to perhaps 2.4.20, and everything goes
> well on the AS functionalities/add-ons?

well you will miss some of the cluster stuff; afaik IPVS isn't merged in
2.4.20 yet.

* Re: RHAS kernel upgrade?
@ 2003-04-30  9:43     ` Paul Nasrat
From: Paul Nasrat @ 2003-04-30  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang-Hwee TAN; +Cc: venom, linux-kernel

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 05:30:18PM +0800, Yang-Hwee TAN wrote:
> looking at the rhas kernel src rpm, there's alot of patches
> made into the kernel, i'm not sure if i use the plain vanilla
> kernel tarball would i disable some kernel options and
> "cripple" any of the RH's advance server's functionality(s).
>
> has anyone use RHAS in a cluster environment with manual
> upgrading of kernel to perhaps 2.4.20, and everything goes
> well on the AS functionalities/add-ons?

I've noticed this kicking about on people.redhat.com, which contains
patches and configs against 2.4.20 so you can brew a 2.4.20 rpm.

http://people.redhat.com/laroche/kernel-2.4.20-2.1.23.ent.src.rpm.tar.gz

It may provide a useful starting point to work out what you want to add
to 2.4.20 for RHAS, however I haven't used this in a production
environment so usual disclaimers apply :)

Paul