* Re: inode number
@ 2003-05-06  3:52 Sumit Narayan
From: Sumit Narayan @ 2003-05-06  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

Actually, what I meant with this was, suppose I have a file name, how do I get the inode for that? And also suppose I have the inode number, how do I get the complete object of that inode for use and manipulation?

Thanks in advance

Sumit
--

On Mon, 05 May 2003 23:27:32
 Sumit Narayan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>How do I know which file has what Inode number? and its under which super block?
>
>Thanks
>
>Sumit

* Re: inode number
@ 2003-05-06  3:54 ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2003-05-06  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumit Narayan; +Cc: linux-kernel

An unnamed Administration source, Sumit Narayan, wrote:
% Hi,
%
% Actually, what I meant with this was, suppose I have a file name, how do I get the inode for that? And also suppose I have the inode number, how do I get the complete object of that inode for use and manipulation?

If you have a filename, stat(2); see also lstat(2) and fstat(2).

Kurt
--
Error in operator: add beer

* Re: inode number
@ 2003-05-06  6:43 ` Lucas Correia Villa Real
From: Lucas Correia Villa Real @ 2003-05-06  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sumit_uconn; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

You can give a look on user_path_walk() and user_path_walk_link() (see
include/linux/fs.h), given you have the pathname.
Given you have the inode number, you can get one of the references to it by
using d_path() (see include/linux/sched.h). I just don't know how it works
when there is multiple references to the same inode number (hard links).

Lucas

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 00:52, Sumit Narayan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Actually, what I meant with this was, suppose I have a file name, how do I
> get the inode for that? And also suppose I have the inode number, how do I
> get the complete object of that inode for use and manipulation?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sumit
> --
>
> On Mon, 05 May 2003 23:27:32
>
>  Sumit Narayan wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >How do I know which file has what Inode number? and its under which super
> > block?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Sumit

* Re: inode number
@ 2003-05-06  6:51   ` Lucas Correia Villa Real
From: Lucas Correia Villa Real @ 2003-05-06  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sumit_uconn; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 03:43, Lucas Correia Villa Real wrote:

> Given you have the inode number, you can get one of the references to it by

Sorry, I mean the struct file.

Lucas

* Re: inode number
@ 2003-05-06  4:09 ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2003-05-06  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sumit_uconn; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 05 May 2003 23:27:32 EDT, Sumit Narayan <sumit_uconn@lycos.com>  said:
> How do I know which file has what Inode number? and its under which super blo
ck?

There's no single answer - multiple files can have the same inode number
(they're called hard links).  Finding which filesystem they are on
involves walking through the mount table..

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* inode number
@ 2003-05-06  3:27 Sumit Narayan