* Re: Digital Rights Management - An idea
@ 2003-05-14 15:40 Dean McEwan
From: Dean McEwan @ 2003-05-14 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: core; +Cc: linux-kernel

> How exactly would you do this specifically for "downloaded" files except
> by snooping into every ftp/http, much less having to decrypt the
> protocols like https or scp?

Files would be recompiled for DRM...

> Anyway, assuming you meant "downloaded file == any file", that's simple,
> and already being discussed, most likely by companies like TiVo, etc.

FOR LINUX?
http://www.linuxmail.org/

Powered by Outblaze

* Re: Digital Rights Management - An idea
@ 2003-05-14 16:46 ` Shawn
From: Shawn @ 2003-05-14 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dean McEwan; +Cc: linux-kernel

LINUX == their business

@ 2003-05-15  9:25 ` Paul Rolland
From: Paul Rolland @ 2003-05-15  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dean McEwan', core; +Cc: linux-kernel

> > How exactly would you do this specifically for "downloaded" files
> > except by snooping into every ftp/http, much less having to decrypt
> > the protocols like https or scp?
>
> Files would be recompiled for DRM...

Which would make it impossible to import even the simplest text data
file on such a machine ????

Paul

* Re: Digital Rights Management - An idea
@ 2003-05-15 10:46 Dean McEwan
From: Dean McEwan @ 2003-05-15 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Rolland, core; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Which would make it impossible to import even the simplest text data
> file on such a machine ????

You would be asked to pick a license for file, pick artistic,
and anyone could use it, encryption would also compress file...

> Paul

http://www.linuxmail.org/

Powered by Outblaze

* Re: Digital Rights Management - An idea
@ 2003-05-14 14:27 ` Shawn
From: Shawn @ 2003-05-14 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dean McEwan; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2003-05-14 10:50 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-05-14 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mer, 2003-05-14 at 09:30, Dean McEwan wrote:
>     I had an idea for DRM, what about a kernel that forces everything downloaded to have a
> valid signature, and doesn't let the file/program be accessed otherwise?

You can set this up with both rsbac and selinux

* Re: Digital Rights Management - An idea
@ 2003-05-14  8:39 ` Paul Rolland
From: Paul Rolland @ 2003-05-14  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dean McEwan', linux-kernel

Hello,

>     I had an idea for DRM, what about a kernel that forces
> everything downloaded to have a
> valid signature, and doesn't let the file/program be accessed
> otherwise?

Waoh....

If I want to install a new soft, I'm gonna have to find someone
having the .tgz file signed so that I can get it ????

Is that what U mean ?

Regards,
Paul

* Digital Rights Management - An idea