* Different dev name in inode structure
@ 2003-05-27 16:23 Michael Zhu
From: Michael Zhu @ 2003-05-27 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies, linux-kernel

Hi, I have a question about the inode structure. My
kernel version is 2.4.7-10, Red Hat Linux 7.2

In fs.h header file I found the prototype of inode
structure. In this inode structure there are the
following definitions.

kdev_t i_dev;
kdev_t i_rdev;
struct block_device * i_bdev;
struct char_device * i_cdev;

My question is what is the exact difference of i_dev
and i_rdev? Which one I should use?

Another question is what that i_bdev and i_cdev are
used for? They stand for what?

Thanks

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-05-27 16:26 UTC | newest]