* FRAMEBUFFER policy
@ 2003-06-16  1:00 Ian Molton
From: Ian Molton @ 2003-06-16  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi.

What is the policy as regards linux framebuffer drivers when presented
with a mode they cannot handle.

eg, suppose a driver can only handle even numbers of pixels and a
request is made for a mode with 639 pixels - should it allocate a 640
pixel wide mode?

or should it extend the height of a mode to allow hardware scrolling in
multiples of the font height?

Thanks.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
ketchup.

* Re: FRAMEBUFFER policy
@ 2003-06-16 12:12 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-06-16 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Molton; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Ian Molton wrote:
> What is the policy as regards linux framebuffer drivers when presented
> with a mode they cannot handle.
>
> eg, suppose a driver can only handle even numbers of pixels and a
> request is made for a mode with 639 pixels - should it allocate a 640
> pixel wide mode?
>
> or should it extend the height of a mode to allow hardware scrolling in
> multiples of the font height?

If you pass a mode that cannot be handled, the driver must try to round up some
values to make it work. If that's not possible, an error is returned.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: FRAMEBUFFER policy
@ 2003-06-16 16:02   ` Ian Molton
From: Ian Molton @ 2003-06-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:12:45 +0200 (MEST)
Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

> If you pass a mode that cannot be handled, the driver must try to
> round up some values to make it work. If that's not possible, an error
> is returned.

Great, thanks.