* Kernel patch release checklist available
@ 2003-06-26 11:01 Peter Chubb
From: Peter Chubb @ 2003-06-26 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

After being burnt a few times in forgetting something that I should
have done when releasing a patch against the kernel, I've created a
Kernel Patch Release Checklist at

http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/PatchReleaseChecklist

If you want to you can add new stuff I haven't thought of to this
list:  but you need to register on the Wiki to do so.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
You are lost in a maze of BitKeeper repositories,   all slightly different.

* Re: Kernel patch release checklist available
@ 2003-06-26 13:22 ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2003-06-26 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Chubb; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:01:02PM +1000, Peter Chubb wrote:

> After being burnt a few times in forgetting something that I should
> have done when releasing a patch against the kernel, I've created a
> Kernel Patch Release Checklist at
>
> http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/PatchReleaseChecklist

Good idea. I think this should go into the Documentation directory.
I would personnaly add :
- "1.4.3 have you described side-effects you're aware of, or incompatibilities
  or breakage of other patches ?"
- "1.5.2. Have you checked that your patch still applies without fuzz on latest
dev kernel ?" (which is not implied nor excused by 1.4.2).

Cheers,
Willy

* Re: Kernel patch release checklist available
@ 2003-06-26 19:24 ` David Mosberger
From: David Mosberger @ 2003-06-26 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Chubb; +Cc: linux-kernel

  Peter> After being burnt a few times in forgetting something that I
  Peter> should have done when releasing a patch against the kernel,
  Peter> I've created a Kernel Patch Release Checklist at

  Peter> http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/PatchReleaseChecklist

  Peter> If you want to you can add new stuff I haven't thought of to
  Peter> this list: but you need to register on the Wiki to do so.

Good stuff!

You might also want to mention that the patch should apply with "patch
-p1".

	--david