* Re: simple pnp bios io resources bug makes  system unusable
@ 2003-07-01  5:54 CarlosRomero
From: CarlosRomero @ 2003-07-01  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

my one line patch just skips an io registration with a simple sanity check.
never once have i heard a device with an ioport of 0x0.
question is why it happens and only once.
tested with

ISA Plug and Play:
U.S. Robotics Sportster 33600 FAX/Voice Int
Creative ViBRA16C PnP
Crystal Codec

Host/PCI Bridge:
VIA Technologies, In VT82C585VP [Apollo V
VIA Technologies, In VT82C586/A/B PCI-to-
VIA Technologies, In VT82C586/B/686A/B PI
VIA Technologies, In USB
VIA Technologies, In VT82C586B ACPI

(also noticing cutoff in /sys/devices/pci0/*/name)

@ 2003-07-01 21:33 Shawn Starr
From: Shawn Starr @ 2003-07-01 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: caberome

The problem I experienced was when I disable parport in the IBM BIOS, PnP
gets invalid values it set io 0x0 -> 0xfffffffffff and some other misc
values for IRQ and DMA.

This might fix that issue.

isapnp: Card 'Crystal Audio'
isapnp: Card 'Creative SB32 PnP'
isapnp: Card 'U.S. Robotics Sportster 33600 FAX/Voice Int'
isapnp: 3 Plug & Play cards detected total

There some other issues though that are being worked on.

Shawn S.

@ 2003-07-01  7:30 Shawn Starr
From: Shawn Starr @ 2003-07-01  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Adam Belay

@ 2003-07-01  3:38 CarlosRomero
From: CarlosRomero @ 2003-07-01  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00\:0c/name
Reserved Motherboard Resources

cat /sys/devices/pnp0/00\:0c/resources
state = active
io 0x4d0-0x4d1
io 0xcf8-0xcff
io 0x3f7-0x3f7
io 0x401-0x407
io 0x298-0x298
io 0x00000000-0xffffffff
mem 0xfffe0000-0xffffffff
mem 0x100000-0x7ffffff

fixup: check for null io base, other devices are now able to initialize.

static void current_ioresource(struct pnp_resource_table * res, int io,
int len)
{
        int i = 0;

+      if (!io) return;
        while ((res->port_resource[i].flags & IORESOURCE_IO) && i <
PNP_MAX_PORT) i++;
        if (i < PNP_MAX_PORT) {
                res->port_resource[i].start = (unsigned long) io;
                res->port_resource[i].end = (unsigned long)(io + len - 1);
                res->port_resource[i].flags = IORESOURCE_IO;  // Also
clears _UNSET flag
        }
}