* generate-modprobe question and USB fatal error during INIT:-resending
@ 2003-07-11 18:20 Ronald Jerome
From: Ronald Jerome @ 2003-07-11 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

For soem reason it looks like my first post did not go
thru.  I am sending this again.  SOrry if it posts
twice

I unsubcribed from softhome.net and subscribed
with this address.  Softhome did not give me enough
space.

Anyhow I think I know what the problem is?  Its with
the modprobe.conf.

I updated both my mkinitrd and mod-utils with the aid
of Paul Nasrat.  I dunno if you know who he is.

Anyhow when I run "generate-modprobe.conf >
/etc/modprobe.conf

I see that the the sections for "usb-uhci" "mousedev"
and "keybdev".   Those are incorrect.  They should be
"uhci-hcd", "usbmouse" and "usbkbd".  Once I changed
the "usb-uhci" to "uhci-hcd"  at least the usb
installed ok but those changes I made for the mouse
and keyboard still does not work.

Is there something screwed up somewhere else?

If I rerun  "generate-modprobe.conf >
/etc/modprobe.conf

Everything defaults back to "usb-uhci", "mousedev" and
keybdev"?

WHy I am not sure.

Is there a fix for this to get the modprobe.conf to
correlate to the new kernel modules?

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* Re: generate-modprobe question and USB fatal error during INIT:-resending
@ 2003-07-11 22:27 ` Greg KH
       [not found]   ` <20030711232612.64205.qmail@web13310.mail.yahoo.com>
From: Greg KH @ 2003-07-11 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Jerome; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:20:15AM -0700, Ronald Jerome wrote:
> I see that the the sections for "usb-uhci" "mousedev"
> and "keybdev".   Those are incorrect.  They should be
> "uhci-hcd", "usbmouse" and "usbkbd".  Once I changed
> the "usb-uhci" to "uhci-hcd"  at least the usb
> installed ok but those changes I made for the mouse
> and keyboard still does not work.

Bleah, we are calling those drivers by their wrong names internally.
The code needs to be fixed, care to send me a patch?

thanks,

greg k-h

@ 2003-07-11 23:29     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-07-11 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Jerome; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 04:26:12PM -0700, Ronald Jerome wrote:
> I don't have any patch at the moment.  Still trying to
> figure out why I cannot get the USB mouse nor USB
> keyboard HID devices to load during the INIT:

Just use the HID driver, do NOT use the usbkb or usbmouse drivers.  Read
the config help entries for those drivers for why you don't want to do
that.

thanks,

greg k-h