* hard lockups with 2.5.75
@ 2003-07-12 18:25 Udo Hoerhold
From: Udo Hoerhold @ 2003-07-12 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I switched from 2.5.73 to 2.5.75 yesterday, and I've encountered three hard
lockups in the 24 hours I've been running the new kernel.  When I reset the
machine, I don't see anything unusual in the logs.

The machine is a dual PIII with aic7899 SCSI and 3c905c network on the
motherboard.  In all three cases where I locked up, there was network and
disk IO going on.  I don't really have any more info.

If anyone would like to give me a list of things to try, I'd be happy to do
some testing.

Udo

* Re: hard lockups with 2.5.75
@ 2003-07-12 18:43 ` Lou Langholtz
From: Lou Langholtz @ 2003-07-12 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Udo Hoerhold; +Cc: linux-kernel

Udo Hoerhold wrote:

>I switched from 2.5.73 to 2.5.75 yesterday, and I've encountered three hard
>lockups in the 24 hours I've been running the new kernel.  When I reset the
>machine, I don't see anything unusual in the logs.
>
>The machine is a dual PIII with aic7899 SCSI and 3c905c network on the
>motherboard.  In all three cases where I locked up, there was network and
>disk IO going on.  I don't really have any more info.
>
>If anyone would like to give me a list of things to try, I'd be happy to do
>some testing.

Do you already have all the kernel hacking options turned on?
Particularly the CONFIG_DEBUG_* options? If not, rebuilding and getting
the same lockup may provide some additional info. You may also want to
try with the PREEMPT option turned on (if not aleady).