* 2.5.75 everything looks ok!
@ 2003-07-12 18:54 Martin Sarsale
From: Martin Sarsale @ 2003-07-12 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Im not sure if you appreciate this kind of messages, but I've just booted linux 2.5.75 and after installing module-init-tools everything works as expected :)

PIII 450
Realtek 8139 (using 8139too)
3 Reiser fs partitions (including root)
ADSL

I found only one rare thing: when I run "make modules_install" a lot of modules had missing symbols.  Im not sure but it think it has something to do with the crc32 module: when I got the messages about the missing symbols, I hadn't compiled crc32, after that I compiled and loaded it, "make modules_install" worked like a charm

Another thing:
Using module-init-tools 0.9.13-pre when I try to load any module using modprobe I get a "FATAL: Module module not found":

modprobe crc32
FATAL: Module crc32 not found.

Instead, I have to use insmod and the full module path (insmod /lib/modules/2.5.75/kernel/lib/crc32.ko  works ok).

* Re: 2.5.75 everything looks ok!
@ 2003-07-12 21:36 ` Nathaniel W. Filardo
From: Nathaniel W. Filardo @ 2003-07-12 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Sarsale; +Cc: linux-kernel

If this is your first time running 2.5, that makes sense.  The
modules_install would have taken place running under a 2.4 kernel so
depmod would have called the modutils (2.4) depmod and not generated the
appropriate files.  Calling "depmod -ae" when running under 2.5 should
generate these (stored in /lib/modules/2.5.75/) and allow modprobe to work
again.

Best of luck.
--nwf;

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Martin Sarsale wrote:

> Im not sure if you appreciate this kind of messages, but I've just booted linux 2.5.75 and after installing module-init-tools everything works as expected :)
>
> PIII 450
> Realtek 8139 (using 8139too)
> 3 Reiser fs partitions (including root)
> ADSL
>
> I found only one rare thing: when I run "make modules_install" a lot of modules had missing symbols.  Im not sure but it think it has something to do with the crc32 module: when I got the messages about the missing symbols, I hadn't compiled crc32, after that I compiled and loaded it, "make modules_install" worked like a charm
>
> Another thing:
> Using module-init-tools 0.9.13-pre when I try to load any module using modprobe I get a "FATAL: Module module not found":
>
> modprobe crc32
> FATAL: Module crc32 not found.
>
> Instead, I have to use insmod and the full module path (insmod /lib/modules/2.5.75/kernel/lib/crc32.ko  works ok).
>

> -

* Re: 2.5.75 everything looks ok!
@ 2003-07-13  7:24   ` Tomas Szepe
From: Tomas Szepe @ 2003-07-13  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel W. Filardo; +Cc: Martin Sarsale, linux-kernel

> [nwf@andrew.cmu.edu]
>
> If this is your first time running 2.5, that makes sense.  The
> modules_install would have taken place running under a 2.4 kernel so
> depmod would have called the modutils (2.4) depmod and not generated the
> appropriate files.  Calling "depmod -ae" when running under 2.5 should
> generate these (stored in /lib/modules/2.5.75/) and allow modprobe to work
> again.

With module-init-tools properly installed,

	depmod -a -F /path/to/System.map-2.5.x 2.5.x

should work correctly regardless of the version of the running kernel.

--
Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>