* Wonderful World of Linux 2.6 - Linux 2.6 features document (first revision)
@ 2003-07-14 14:24 Joe Pranevich
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Joe Pranevich @ 2003-07-14 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: jpranevich, lwn

Hello,

I've recently put together the first draft of a features document describing the changes in Linux 2.6. (I did similar documents for both Linux 2.2 and Linux 2.4.) It's based almost entirely on BitKeeper changelogs (with clarifying information pulled from the lists and the web), so there is a chance that I misunderstood something or that I missed something else entirely. Please give it a look over and if you see anything that needs a look-over, please let me know. As it stands now, I feel pretty good about how it turned out so I'm finally comfortable mailing what I have around. (There are still a couple areas that need expanding on, I think...)

As of right now, you can find the latest versions of the document available online.

Text version: http://www.kniggit.net/wwol26.txt

Tersely formatted HTML: http://www.kniggit.net/wwol26.html

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Joe Pranevich
jpranevich<at>kniggit.net

* Re: Wonderful World of Linux 2.6 - Linux 2.6 features document (first revision)
@ 2003-07-15 15:45 ` Felipe Alfaro Solana
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Felipe Alfaro Solana @ 2003-07-15 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpranevich; +Cc: LKML, jpranevich, lwn

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 16:24, Joe Pranevich wrote:

> Text version: http://www.kniggit.net/wwol26.txt
> Tersely formatted HTML: http://www.kniggit.net/wwol26.html
>
> Please let me know what you think.

An excellent and well-written document, indeed.
It's been worth reading :-)

* Re: Wonderful World of Linux 2.6 - Linux 2.6 features document (first revision)
@ 2003-07-15 19:26 ` Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
From: Jose Luis Domingo Lopez @ 2003-07-15 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Pranevich; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Monday, 14 July 2003, at 10:24:39 -0400,
Joe Pranevich wrote:

> Please let me know what you think.

First of all, thank you for the great work you have done again, it is
worth each line :-). Now, a couple of corrections:

"And finally, Linux 2.6 will include improved 64-bit support
on block devices that support it, even on 32-bit platforms such as i386.
This allows for filesystems up to 2TB."

This should read "This allows for filesystems greater than 2 TB", or
even better "This allows for block devices greater than 2 TB". I think
maximun block device and filesytem sizes are independent, but I could be
wrong, because I am not an expert :)

And now, an omission. Linux kernel 2.4.x had LVM1, and has been replaced
by DM (Device Mapper), that is said to be a better thought
implementation of the same concept. The nice part is DM in 2.6.0 will be
able to activate and drive 2.4.x LV (Logical Volumes), provided a recent
version of the LVM2 userspace tools are used.

Apart from this, I think EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System)
deserves some credit. It was never included in standard 2.4.x kernels,
but now that EVMS userspace tools use DM (as LVM2 does) and provide for
a complete disk management system, maybe it also could have a little
place in your excellent document.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.0-test1)

* Re: Wonderful World of Linux 2.6 - Linux 2.6 features document (first revision)
@ 2003-07-15 22:30 ` David Gómez
From: David Gómez @ 2003-07-15 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Pranevich; +Cc: linux-kernel, jpranevich, lwn

Hi ;),

Great document :) !! It was definetily more interesting that BitKeeper
Changelogs ;). I think you should mail this document to linux documentation
projects, kernelnewbies and such, sure it'll be useful for a lot of people.

--
David Gómez

"The question of whether computers can think is just like the question of
 whether submarines can swim." -- Edsger W. Dijkstra

* RE: Wonderful World of Linux 2.6 - Linux 2.6 features document (first revision)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-16  0:22 ` Ruth Ivimey-Cook
From: Ruth Ivimey-Cook @ 2003-07-16  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jpranevich, linux-kernel; +Cc: jpranevich, lwn

Well done :-)

One small typo: at the end, "abuse" should be "about".

Ruth