* Re: Fwd: Re: Bug Report: 2.4.22-pre5: BUG in page_alloc (fwd)
       [not found] <20030721190226.GA14453@matchmail.com>
@ 2003-07-21 19:45 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-07-21 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Fedyk; +Cc: linux-kernel

You don't need the tags, use dates.  You can get the date range you want
with an rlog of the ChangeSet file and then use those dates.

--
---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm

* Re: Fwd: Re: Bug Report: 2.4.22-pre5: BUG in page_alloc (fwd)
@ 2003-07-21 21:21   ` Andrea Arcangeli
From: Andrea Arcangeli @ 2003-07-21 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy, Mike Fedyk, linux-kernel

Hi Larry,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:45:14PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> You don't need the tags, use dates.  You can get the date range you want
> with an rlog of the ChangeSet file and then use those dates.

I realized I could do this, and it can of course be automated with an
additional bkcvs specific hack in cvsps. But the tag in every file would
have kept the functionality generic with the already available -r
option, and since I can't see any downside in the tag in the files, I
prefer that generic way.

But if you're sure the tags aren't coming back we can start adding the
automation to cvsps.

thanks,

Andrea

* Re: Fwd: Re: Bug Report: 2.4.22-pre5: BUG in page_alloc (fwd)
@ 2003-07-21 21:31     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-07-21 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Arcangeli; +Cc: Larry McVoy, Mike Fedyk, linux-kernel

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 05:21:55PM -0400, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:45:14PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > You don't need the tags, use dates.  You can get the date range you want
> > with an rlog of the ChangeSet file and then use those dates.
>
> I realized I could do this, and it can of course be automated with an
> additional bkcvs specific hack in cvsps. But the tag in every file would
> have kept the functionality generic with the already available -r
> option, and since I can't see any downside in the tag in the files, I
> prefer that generic way.

The tags means that each file gets modified for each tag and then we have
to transfer the whole tree after a tag.  It thrashes the hell out of the
disk too, for no good reason.

Also note that there are nowhere near as many tags as there are commits
in the CVS tree.  So by using tags you are restricting yourself to coarse
granularity in your bug hunts.

> But if you're sure the tags aren't coming back we can start adding the
> automation to cvsps.

Please do, we're not adding the tags.
--
---

@ 2003-07-21 22:00       ` Andrea Arcangeli
From: Andrea Arcangeli @ 2003-07-21 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy, Larry McVoy, Mike Fedyk, linux-kernel

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 02:31:59PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 05:21:55PM -0400, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 12:45:14PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > > You don't need the tags, use dates.  You can get the date range you want
> > > with an rlog of the ChangeSet file and then use those dates.
> >
> > I realized I could do this, and it can of course be automated with an
> > additional bkcvs specific hack in cvsps. But the tag in every file would
> > have kept the functionality generic with the already available -r
> > option, and since I can't see any downside in the tag in the files, I
> > prefer that generic way.
>
> The tags means that each file gets modified for each tag and then we have
> to transfer the whole tree after a tag.  It thrashes the hell out of the
> disk too, for no good reason.
>
> Also note that there are nowhere near as many tags as there are commits
> in the CVS tree.  So by using tags you are restricting yourself to coarse
> granularity in your bug hunts.

the granularity wasn't the issue, I need this feature anyways out of
cvsps (cvsps is exactly the thing that generates the changesets out of
the coarse granularity of the tags). the checkout/rsync being more
expensive sounds a fair enough argument for implementing the feature in
cvsps where it will be zero write cost.

since we're talking about bkcvs, I also would have a feature wish for
the repository export in rsync.kernel.org: would it be possible to
export a sequence number increased once before a transfer, and increased
a second time after the tree is coherent again? When the sequence number
is even and it didn't change before and after the rsync, we'll know the
current status is coherent and we don't need to repeat the rsync (after
some delay). Or is there any other mechanism that guarantees to get a
coherent repository out of rsync?

thanks,

Andrea

* Re: Fwd: Re: Bug Report: 2.4.22-pre5: BUG in page_alloc (fwd)
@ 2003-07-21 22:18         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2003-07-21 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Arcangeli; +Cc: Larry McVoy, Mike Fedyk, linux-kernel

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:00:00PM -0400, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> since we're talking about bkcvs, I also would have a feature wish for
> the repository export in rsync.kernel.org: would it be possible to
> export a sequence number increased once before a transfer

I don't manage the rsync trees, HPA does that.  Peter?
--
---

@ 2003-07-29  9:28         ` Andrea Arcangeli
From: Andrea Arcangeli @ 2003-07-29  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy, Mike Fedyk, linux-kernel; +Cc: H. Peter Anvin

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 06:00:00PM -0400, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 02:31:59PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 05:21:55PM -0400, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > > Hi Larry,

> > > I realized I could do this, and it can of course be automated with an
> > > additional bkcvs specific hack in cvsps. But the tag in every file would
> > > have kept the functionality generic with the already available -r
> > > option, and since I can't see any downside in the tag in the files, I
> > > prefer that generic way.
> >
> > The tags means that each file gets modified for each tag and then we have
> > to transfer the whole tree after a tag.  It thrashes the hell out of the
> > disk too, for no good reason.
> >
> > Also note that there are nowhere near as many tags as there are commits
> > in the CVS tree.  So by using tags you are restricting yourself to coarse
> > granularity in your bug hunts.
>
> the granularity wasn't the issue, I need this feature anyways out of
> cvsps (cvsps is exactly the thing that generates the changesets out of
> the coarse granularity of the tags). the checkout/rsync being more
> expensive sounds a fair enough argument for implementing the feature in
> cvsps where it will be zero write cost.

while writing the code to do it, I noticed the heuristic was already
there in cvsps ;), and it is generic (not hardwired to the ChangeSet
file). I had bad luck diffing with -r v2_4_22-pre3 (which is missing
from the changeset file too, so I guess the info is missing in bitkeeper
as well, not just bkcvs).  Infact probably it's a long time that you
dropped the tags from all files, and I noticed only now after getting
the error diffing against 22pre3 ;).

> since we're talking about bkcvs, I also would have a feature wish for
> the repository export in rsync.kernel.org: would it be possible to
> export a sequence number increased once before a transfer, and increased
> a second time after the tree is coherent again? When the sequence number
> is even and it didn't change before and after the rsync, we'll know the
> current status is coherent and we don't need to repeat the rsync (after
> some delay). Or is there any other mechanism that guarantees to get a
> coherent repository out of rsync?

Peter, any suggestion on this? Larry said it's all on your side, so I
assume you're running bkcvs yourself, or Larry is already providing you
a locking mechanism that serializes against bkcvs and that allows you
to fetch a coherent of the cvs repository. w/o this last locking bit
that allows to export a coherent copy of the repository, I can't easily
automate the stuff based on a local repository and I've to switch to the
remote one, despite having it local is more flexible (and much faster
for local browsing) and rsync -z is faster.

Many thanks again to both of you and last but not the least to David
Mansfiel (cvsps author).

Andrea

* Re: Fwd: Re: Bug Report: 2.4.22-pre5: BUG in page_alloc (fwd)
@ 2003-08-17 15:33           ` Andrea Arcangeli
From: Andrea Arcangeli @ 2003-08-17 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry McVoy, Mike Fedyk, linux-kernel; +Cc: H. Peter Anvin

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:28:21AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Peter, any suggestion on this? Larry said it's all on your side, so I
> assume you're running bkcvs yourself, or Larry is already providing you
> a locking mechanism that serializes against bkcvs and that allows you
> to fetch a coherent of the cvs repository. w/o this last locking bit
> that allows to export a coherent copy of the repository, I can't easily
> automate the stuff based on a local repository and I've to switch to the
> remote one, despite having it local is more flexible (and much faster
> for local browsing) and rsync -z is faster.

Any news on this? I'm still looking into a way to rsync a coherenty copy
of the cvs repository.

Andrea