* NMI appears to be stuck! (2.4.22-rc2 on dual Athlon)
@ 2003-08-17 21:28 Herbert Pötzl
From: Herbert Pötzl @ 2003-08-17 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Alan Cox

Hi All!

Still no nmi_watchdog on dual Athlon systems?

Linux version 2.4.22-rc2 on dual

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 6
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) MP 1800+
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 1533.401
cache size	: 256 KB

Total of 2 processors activated (6127.61 BogoMIPS).                                                                                      ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs                                                                                                                    ..TIMER: vector=0x31 pin1=2 pin2=0                                                                                                       activating NMI Watchdog ... done.                                                                                                        testing NMI watchdog ... CPU#0: NMI appears to be stuck!                                                                                 testing the IO APIC.......................                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        .................................... done.                                                                                               Using local APIC timer interrupts.                                                                                                       calibrating APIC timer ...

just for curiosity, if I do not give the nmi_watchdog=1
option on the kernel boot line, the nmi seems to work fine?

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:       4275       2602    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:          0          2    IO-APIC-edge  keyboard
  2:          0          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:        157        150    IO-APIC-edge  serial
  8:          1          0    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
  9:        169        186   IO-APIC-level  acpi
 15:         12          3    IO-APIC-edge  ide1
 16:       1195       1155   IO-APIC-level  aic7xxx
 17:        149        144   IO-APIC-level  eth1
 19:          1          3   IO-APIC-level  eth0
NMI:       4034       3577
LOC:       6782       6777
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

is this intentional, or have I missed something
terrible important? if you need more information,
let me know ...

TIA,
Herbert

* Re: NMI appears to be stuck! (2.4.22-rc2 on dual Athlon)
@ 2003-08-17 22:05   ` Herbert Pötzl
From: Herbert Pötzl @ 2003-08-17 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 01:40:00AM +0200, Karel Kulhavý wrote:
> It seems NMI watchdog doesn't work on nforce2 (Athlon) chipset boards when APIC
> is enabled.

hmm, this is on a
  - Tyan Tiger MPX S2466N-4M
  - AMD Dual 1.8GHZ Athlon

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]: Unknown device 700c (rev 11)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]: Unknown device 700d
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]: Unknown device 7440 (rev 05)

isn't nForce2 from nVIDIA ?

> I don't know if it works if APIC is disabled and also don't know
> about other boards.

it works perfectly, only the nmi_watchdog cannot be
enabled ...

thanks,
Herbert

@ 2003-08-17 22:11 ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2003-08-17 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Alan Cox

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:28:24PM +0200, Herbert P?tzl wrote:

> Hi All!
>
> Still no nmi_watchdog on dual Athlon systems?

Hi !

mine works fine only with nmi_watchdog=2. Don't know why. It's an ASUS A7M266D.

Cheers,
Willy

* Re: NMI appears to be stuck! (2.4.22-rc2 on dual Athlon)
@ 2003-08-17 22:28   ` Herbert Pötzl
From: Herbert Pötzl @ 2003-08-17 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Tarreau; +Cc: linux-kernel, Alan Cox

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 12:11:14AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 11:28:24PM +0200, Herbert P?tzl wrote:
> >
> > Hi All!
> >
> > Still no nmi_watchdog on dual Athlon systems?
>
> Hi !
>
> mine works fine only with nmi_watchdog=2. Don't know why.
> It's an ASUS A7M266D.

hmm, nmi_watchdog=2 on the kernel boot line gives no
difference to booting without, at least according to
the boot messages ...

ENABLING IO-APIC IRQs
..TIMER: vector=0x31 pin1=2 pin2=0
testing the IO APIC.......................

.................................... done.
Using local APIC timer interrupts.
calibrating APIC timer ...
..... CPU clock speed is 1533.4487 MHz.

maybe the nmi_watchdog is always enabled?
maybe it only fails with nmi_watchdog=1 ?
shouldn't there be a message which says that
the NMI watchdog was enabled?

TIA,
Herbert

@ 2003-08-17 22:28     ` Zwane Mwaikambo
From: Zwane Mwaikambo @ 2003-08-17 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Pötzl; +Cc: Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel, Alan Cox

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Herbert Pötzl wrote:

> > mine works fine only with nmi_watchdog=2. Don't know why.
> > It's an ASUS A7M266D.
>
> hmm, nmi_watchdog=2 on the kernel boot line gives no
> difference to booting without, at least according to
> the boot messages ...

nmi_watchdog=2 will work on the majority of i686+ (performance
counters with NMI delivery mode) boxes and you can check whether it's
enabled by doing cat /proc/interrupts and watching if the NMI line ticks
at a decent rate. nmi_watchdog=1 tends to be harder for hardware
manufacturers to get right (for some reason or other).

* Re: NMI appears to be stuck! (2.4.22-rc2 on dual Athlon)
@ 2003-08-17 22:49       ` Herbert Pötzl
From: Herbert Pötzl @ 2003-08-17 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zwane Mwaikambo; +Cc: Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel, Alan Cox

On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 06:28:46PM -0400, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Herbert Pötzl wrote:
>
> > > mine works fine only with nmi_watchdog=2. Don't know why.
> > > It's an ASUS A7M266D.
> >
> > hmm, nmi_watchdog=2 on the kernel boot line gives no
> > difference to booting without, at least according to
> > the boot messages ...
>
> nmi_watchdog=2 will work on the majority of i686+ (performance
> counters with NMI delivery mode) boxes and you can check whether it's
> enabled by doing cat /proc/interrupts and watching if the NMI line ticks

okay, but this would mean that the nmi_watchdog is
enabled if I do not specify nmi_watchdog at the kernel
boot/command line ... or how should I interpret the
steadily increasing NMI counts in this case?

don't get me wrong, I'm happy if nmi_watchdog is
enabled by default, but I would like to know/verify
that ...

> at a decent rate. nmi_watchdog=1 tends to be harder for hardware
> manufacturers to get right (for some reason or other).

no nmi_watchdog and nmi_watchdog=2, both result in
increasing NMI counts, nmi_watchdog=1, only in LOC
counts ...

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
NMI:      75378      74923
LOC:     159900     159896
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

@ 2003-08-17 23:40 ` Karel Kulhavý
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-08-17 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Pötzl; +Cc: linux-kernel

It seems NMI watchdog doesn't work on nforce2 (Athlon) chipset boards when APIC
is enabled.

I don't know if it works if APIC is disabled and also don't know
about other boards.

Cl<

@ 2003-08-18  0:16       ` Jamie Lokier
From: Jamie Lokier @ 2003-08-18  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zwane Mwaikambo; +Cc: Herbert Pötzl, Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel, Alan Cox

Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> > > mine works fine only with nmi_watchdog=2. Don't know why.
> > > It's an ASUS A7M266D.
> >
> > hmm, nmi_watchdog=2 on the kernel boot line gives no
> > difference to booting without, at least according to
> > the boot messages ...
>
> nmi_watchdog=2 will work on the majority of i686+ (performance
> counters with NMI delivery mode) boxes and you can check whether it's
> enabled by doing cat /proc/interrupts and watching if the NMI line ticks
> at a decent rate. nmi_watchdog=1 tends to be harder for hardware
> manufacturers to get right (for some reason or other).

Is it possible to try both at boot time and pick the one which works?

-- Jamie

* Re: NMI appears to be stuck! (2.4.22-rc2 on dual Athlon)
@ 2003-08-18  7:10         ` Zwane Mwaikambo
From: Zwane Mwaikambo @ 2003-08-18  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jamie Lokier; +Cc: Herbert Pötzl, Willy Tarreau, linux-kernel, Alan Cox

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> > nmi_watchdog=2 will work on the majority of i686+ (performance
> > counters with NMI delivery mode) boxes and you can check whether it's
> > enabled by doing cat /proc/interrupts and watching if the NMI line ticks
> > at a decent rate. nmi_watchdog=1 tends to be harder for hardware
> > manufacturers to get right (for some reason or other).
>
> Is it possible to try both at boot time and pick the one which works?

I believe we currently already do that if you do nmi_watchdog=2