* Re: DVD ROM on 2.6
@ 2003-08-20  0:09 Bryan D. Stine
From: Bryan D. Stine @ 2003-08-20  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

* Re: DVD ROM on 2.6
@ 2003-08-20 18:06 ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-08-20 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <200308192009.11298.admin@kentonet.net>,
Bryan D. Stine <admin@kentonet.net> wrote:

| Try passing the -t iso9660 option to mount or (if that doesn't work) you
|  could go so far as to removing the UDF support from the kernel.
|
| On Tuesday 19 August 2003 07:34 pm, Wakko Warner wrote:
| > I'm trying out 2.6 on one of my test boxes with an IDE dvd drive.  I'm
| > using ide-scsi (I prefer scdx as opposed to hdx).  I noticed that any
| > attempt to mount a DVD movie (lord of the rings comes to mind) it mounts as
| > UDF.  My laptop mounts this same dvd as iso9660.
| >
| > I've also been unable to play DVDs on this machine, but I don't have the
| > same packages installed as I do on my laptop.

If iso9660 looks enough like UDF to confuse the f/s typing logic, would
the problem go away if the iso9660 were checked first? It seems iso9660
can be mistaken for UDF, is the converse true?

In any case it can be set explicitly.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: DVD ROM on 2.6
@ 2003-08-20 23:59   ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-08-20 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mer, 2003-08-20 at 19:06, bill davidsen wrote:
> If iso9660 looks enough like UDF to confuse the f/s typing logic, would
> the problem go away if the iso9660 were checked first? It seems iso9660
> can be mistaken for UDF, is the converse true?
>
> In any case it can be set explicitly.

Disks can be mastered with both

* Re: DVD ROM on 2.6
@ 2003-08-21 10:33     ` Bill Davidsen
From: Bill Davidsen @ 2003-08-21 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 21 Aug 2003, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Mer, 2003-08-20 at 19:06, bill davidsen wrote:
> > If iso9660 looks enough like UDF to confuse the f/s typing logic, would
> > the problem go away if the iso9660 were checked first? It seems iso9660
> > can be mistaken for UDF, is the converse true?
> >
> > In any case it can be set explicitly.
>
> Disks can be mastered with both

Good point, but I hope that if that is the case it would work as either,
and the UDF mount would have worked. Perhaps that also would have worked
with a bit of option support.

--

@ 2003-08-20 18:13         ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-08-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <20030820114719.A26833@animx.eu.org>,
Wakko Warner  <wakko@animx.eu.org> wrote:
| > >I do have DVDs playing now on 2.6.0-test3.  I used ide-cd instead of
| > >ide-scsi.  apparently the scsi layer didn't like it.
| > >Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7651
| > >Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7652
| > >Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7653
| > >end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 660400
| > >
| > >I would get tons of Buffer I/O errors and some end_requests like the above
| > >
| > I thought ide-scsi was broken?
|
| I can't tell if this is in the ide-scsi driver or the scsi cdrom driver.  I
| still personally wish that the ide drivers were modules of scsi instead of
| being a seperate block device.  USB storage creates scsi adapters, ide-scsi
| allows ATAPI access via scsi.  Why not do this for ide in general (if that
| starts a flame war, please don't contribute =)

Probably because IDE and ATAPI are not the same thing. There are devices
which electrically connect to the IDE bus which don't speak ATAPI.
--

@ 2003-08-20 15:47       ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2003-08-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Axelsson; +Cc: Bryan D. Stine, linux-kernel

@ 2003-08-20 13:54     ` Christian Axelsson
From: Christian Axelsson @ 2003-08-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wakko Warner; +Cc: Bryan D. Stine, linux-kernel

Wakko Warner wrote:

>>Try passing the -t iso9660 option to mount or (if that doesn't work) you could
>>go so far as to removing the UDF support from the kernel.
>>

>I had a brain fart.  I was using -o instead of -t =(
>
>I do have DVDs playing now on 2.6.0-test3.  I used ide-cd instead of
>ide-scsi.  apparently the scsi layer didn't like it.
>Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7651
>Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7652
>Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7653
>end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 660400
>
>I would get tons of Buffer I/O errors and some end_requests like the above

I thought ide-scsi was broken?

--
Christian Axelsson
smiler@lanil.mine.nu

* Re: DVD ROM on 2.6
       [not found] ` <200308192003.22182.admin@kentonet.net>
@ 2003-08-20  0:21   ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2003-08-20  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bryan D. Stine; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Try passing the -t iso9660 option to mount or (if that doesn't work) you could
> go so far as to removing the UDF support from the kernel.

I had a brain fart.  I was using -o instead of -t =(

I do have DVDs playing now on 2.6.0-test3.  I used ide-cd instead of
ide-scsi.  apparently the scsi layer didn't like it.
Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7651
Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7652
Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 7653
end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 660400

I would get tons of Buffer I/O errors and some end_requests like the above

> > I'm trying out 2.6 on one of my test boxes with an IDE dvd drive.  I'm
> > using ide-scsi (I prefer scdx as opposed to hdx).  I noticed that any
> > attempt to mount a DVD movie (lord of the rings comes to mind) it mounts as
> > UDF.  My laptop mounts this same dvd as iso9660.
> >
> > I've also been unable to play DVDs on this machine, but I don't have the
> > same packages installed as I do on my laptop.

* DVD ROM on 2.6
@ 2003-08-19 23:34 Wakko Warner
       [not found] ` <200308192003.22182.admin@kentonet.net>