* Re: Console on USB
@ 2003-08-20 17:28 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-08-20 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: greg, john; +Cc: linux-kernel, tmolina, zwane

> > > Buy a machine with a serial port.  That's my recommendation :)
> >
> > That could be difficult in a few years time.  What are we going to do
> > when we start getting bugs that are only reproducable on laptops with
> > no legacy ports?
>
> Use the previously mentioned netconsole code.

Yeah, I guess everything will have Ethernet onboard by then :-).

John.

* Re: Console on USB
@ 2003-08-20 17:08 John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2003-08-20 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: greg, tmolina; +Cc: linux-kernel, zwane

> > Is there any advice I might be able to use to get this going?  I really
> > want to be able to catch some oops output.
>
> Buy a machine with a serial port.  That's my recommendation :)

That could be difficult in a few years time.  What are we going to do
when we start getting bugs that are only reproducable on laptops with
no legacy ports?

John.

* Console on USB
@ 2003-08-20  3:20 Thomas Molina
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas Molina @ 2003-08-20  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just spent a very frustrating evening trying to get console on USB
working.  My laptop does not have regular DB-9 serial connectors, only
USB.  So I ordered a USB to serial converter, configured a 2.6.0-test3
kernel, added a console=/dev/ttyUSB0 to the kernel command line and
connected this to my desktop with a null modem adapter.  However, I am
unable to get output from this setup on the desktop.  On another setup I
can get a normal serial console output, so I am fairly confident I can set
things up correctly.

Googling around and doing a search on lkml archives gave some minimal
help, but I can find very little info past early to mid 2.5 kernels.  The
configuration doesn't quite seem to work the way I read documentation.
For instance, the web pages I can find indicate I should be able to build
this modular; however the configuration makes the setting of console on
usb depend on USB being y and EXPERIMENTAL being defined.

In /var/log/messages I can see the USB-to-serial converter being recogized
and the driver being loaded, just before the synaptics touchpad is probed.

It looks like things are correct, but, as I said, I am unable to get
output.  Am I headed for frustration, or is there some advice to get good
results?