* Re: Running SMP 2.4.21 #2 SMP Kernel on single processor : Memory Leakage?
@ 2003-08-22 17:21 Dan Kegel
       [not found] ` <20030823152455.A1771@mail.north-cyprus.net>
From: Dan Kegel @ 2003-08-22 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msuzen, linux-kernel

Mehmet Ali Suzen <msuzen@mail ! north-cyprus ! net> wrote:
 > I am running RedHat Linux 9 Linux 2.4.21 SMP  ...

Then you should contact a Red Hat Linux forum for support.

linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org for the most part only discusses
fairly vanilla kernels, especially the ones published at
http://kernel.org.  Perhaps you could try loading one of
those kernels, and seeing if the problem exists there?
If it does, please write back with more info.

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com

* Re: Running SMP 2.4.21 #2 SMP Kernel on single processor : Memory Leakage?
@ 2003-08-23 12:26 ` Mehmet Ali Suzen
       [not found] ` <20030823152455.A1771@mail.north-cyprus.net>
From: Mehmet Ali Suzen @ 2003-08-23 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:21:33AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Mehmet Ali Suzen <msuzen@mail ! north-cyprus ! net> wrote:
>  > I am running RedHat Linux 9 Linux 2.4.21 SMP  ...
>
> Then you should contact a Red Hat Linux forum for support.
>
> linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org for the most part only discusses
> fairly vanilla kernels, especially the ones published at

it was a compiled kernel.

@ 2003-08-23 16:39   ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2003-08-23 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehmet Ali Suzen, linux-kernel

Mehmet Ali Suzen wrote:
>>> I am running RedHat Linux 9 Linux 2.4.21 SMP  ...
>>
>>Then you should contact a Red Hat Linux forum for support.
>
> it was a compiled kernel.

Ah, if you were running a kernel.org kernel, apologies.

> I am running RedHat Linux 9 Linux 2.4.21 SMP and
> memory usage is increasing regularly even if
> no heavy service like (radiusd,mysqld, httpd, named) is not
> running. After some time I get Out of Memory
> messages and system hungs!
>
> It sounds stupid but we are running single cpu.
> Would it be possible to have a memory leakage due to SMP
> operations? Board is Intel Server Board SE7501BR2

I haven't seen the problem you describe, so I'm shooting in
the dark, but:

How long does the problem take to occur after boot?
What kind of load are you putting on the system?
Have you checked the output of ps and /proc/slabinfo to
look for obvious bloats?

- Dan
--
Dan Kegel
http://www.kegel.com

* Re: Running SMP 2.4.21 #2 SMP Kernel on single processor : Memory Leakage?
@ 2003-08-23 16:47     ` Mehmet Ali Suzen
From: Mehmet Ali Suzen @ 2003-08-23 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Kegel, linux-kernel

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 09:39:17AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > it was a compiled kernel.
>
> Ah, if you were running a kernel.org kernel, apologies.

No need. And we didn't want to apply rc in the production.

> I haven't seen the problem you describe, so I'm shooting in
> the dark, but:
>
> How long does the problem take to occur after boot?

Actually machine was up about 2 weeks for testing. After
we got to production. It gets mad.

> What kind of load are you putting on the system?

Radiusd, mysqld, named and httpd are the most active processes.

> Have you checked the output of ps and /proc/slabinfo to
> look for obvious bloats?

Nothing in the process table generates expanding memory.
2-3 hours ago problem suddenly smears out.

We suspect that  commenting in named.conf log options and reload rncd
has solved the problem. Which is bizzare, because we have already
tried without named.

Mehmet

PS: from named.conf
logging {
 //channel syslog_errors {
 // Syslog logging: typically daemon, if we choose local1,
 // some message still go to daemon (bug), so we leave daemon for now .
 // syslog daemon;
 //syslog local1; severity info;
 //};
 //category default {
 //     syslog_errors; // you can log to as many channels
 //      default_syslog; // by default goes to daemon in syslog
 //};
 // ignore all "lame server" errors (only do this if none of the lame
 // servers belong to you; otherwise, fix them)

 category lame-servers{ null; };
 //category statistics { null; }; // We don't need stats for this server

 // enable for testing/debugging:
 //category default { file_log; syslog_errors; };
 //category panic { file_log; };
 //category packet { file_log; };
 //category eventlib { file_log; };
 //other categories; queries, cname, config, load, notify, parser,
 //response-checks, security, statistics, update, xfer-in, xfer-out
};

* Running SMP 2.4.21 #2 SMP Kernel on single processor : Memory Leakage?
@ 2003-08-22 14:42 ` Mehmet Ali Suzen
From: Mehmet Ali Suzen @ 2003-08-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

 Hi All,
I am running RedHat Linux 9 Linux 2.4.21 SMP and
memory usage is increasing regularly even if
no heavy service like (radiusd,mysqld, httpd, named) is not
running. After some time I get Out of Memory
messages and system hungs!

It sounds stupid but we are running single cpu.
Would it be possible to have a memory leakage due to SMP
operations? Board is Intel Server Board SE7501BR2 and
cpu info:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2392.346
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 4771.02

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 2392.346
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm

Many thanks for the commets
Cheers,
Mehmet
bogomips        : 4784.12