* Athlon XP-M and cpufreq freezing Asus laptop to death
@ 2003-08-24 16:48 Daniele Venzano
From: Daniele Venzano @ 2003-08-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know if I'm hunting a bug or I have to add support for my
hardware somewhere.
I succeded in making C2 work adjusting the DSDT table, I'm uploading the
new one on acpi.sf.net under Asus/L3100D

Now for cpufreq: I'm using the powernow-k7 driver, since the acpi
P-state is not supported.
Whenever I try to change the governor by echoing "powersave" in
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor everything stops
and a hard reset is required. It seemes to fall in some tight loop since
after a few seconds the fan goes on as if there is heavy processor
usage.

With some printk I have verified that it halts inside wrmsrl() at line
199, file powernow-k7.c (2.6.0-test4).
The call trace is:
powernow_target/change_speed/change_FID/wrmsrl

For what is my knowledge (very, very little) the frequency passed to
powernow_target is right, but I can't say nothing on all other
parameters...

Full dmesg and .config available here[2] and here[3], /proc/cpuinfo
and /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/{power,info} follows.

/proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M 2000+
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 1673.782
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips	: 3309.56

/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/power
active state:            C2
default state:           C1
bus master activity:     00000000
states:
    C1:                  promotion[C2] demotion[--] latency[000] usage[00653320]
   *C2:                  promotion[--] demotion[C1] latency[090] usage[04958506]
    C3:                  <not supported>

/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/info
processor id:            0
acpi id:                 1
bus mastering control:   no
power management:        yes
throttling control:      yes
performance management:  no
limit interface:         yes

Using the acpi p state driver I get a message saying something about
'unsupported address space' (see [1] for details) and the machine
stops working also by echoing 'performance' (that is already there) in
sysfs.

I don't know what to do next, someone here can give me any hint ?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

[1] http://www.ussg.lu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0308.2/1892.html
[2] http://digilander.libero.it/webvenza/download/kpatches/dmesg-cpufreq
[3] http://digilander.libero.it/webvenza/download/kpatches/config-cpufreq

Daniele Venzano
Web: http://digilander.iol.it/webvenza/

* Re: Athlon XP-M and cpufreq freezing Asus laptop to death
@ 2003-08-25  7:10 ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-08-25  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 06:48:29PM +0200, Daniele Venzano wrote:
> I don't know if I'm hunting a bug or I have to add support for my
> hardware somewhere.
> I succeded in making C2 work adjusting the DSDT table, I'm uploading the
> new one on acpi.sf.net under Asus/L3100D
>
> Now for cpufreq: I'm using the powernow-k7 driver, since the acpi
> P-state is not supported.
> Whenever I try to change the governor by echoing "powersave" in
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor everything stops
> and a hard reset is required. It seemes to fall in some tight loop since
> after a few seconds the fan goes on as if there is heavy processor
> usage.
>
> With some printk I have verified that it halts inside wrmsrl() at line
> 199, file powernow-k7.c (2.6.0-test4).
> The call trace is:
> powernow_target/change_speed/change_FID/wrmsrl
>
> For what is my knowledge (very, very little) the frequency passed to
> powernow_target is right, but I can't say nothing on all other
> parameters...

This is a known issue (at least for me :).  When the difference
between 2 vid and/or 2 fid are too big, that hang.

For now, as a quick (and mostly dirty though) solution is to go
with the userspace governor only and to go to the lowest frequency with
one or two step in-between.

I'm also wondering if those athlons have the same kind of stuff than
the opteron (Dave)?

Cheers,

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.

* Re: Athlon XP-M and cpufreq freezing Asus laptop to death
@ 2003-09-01 20:09   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

> This is a known issue (at least for me :).  When the difference
> between 2 vid and/or 2 fid are too big, that hang.
>
> For now, as a quick (and mostly dirty though) solution is to go
> with the userspace governor only and to go to the lowest frequency with
> one or two step in-between.
>
> I'm also wondering if those athlons have the same kind of stuff than
> the opteron (Dave)?

k8 has similar restriction to small steps, only.
				Pavel
--
				Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

-
Hi!

@ 2003-09-02 12:56     ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-09-02 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:09:42PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
 > > I'm also wondering if those athlons have the same kind of stuff than
 > > the opteron (Dave)?
 >
 > k8 has similar restriction to small steps, only.

The k8 docs actually specify this though, the k7 ones don't iirc.

                Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
-

@ 2003-09-05  9:23       ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-09-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 01:56:25PM +0100, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 10:09:42PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
>  > > I'm also wondering if those athlons have the same kind of stuff than
>  > > the opteron (Dave)?
>  >
>  > k8 has similar restriction to small steps, only.
>
> The k8 docs actually specify this though, the k7 ones don't iirc.

Hem, some of vid/fid combinations cant be used .  But
there is no verifications of such in powernow-k7 though.
Since there is a need to change only one at a time...