* 2.6.0-test4, psmouse doesn't autoload, CONFIG_SERIO doesn't module
@ 2003-09-02  2:34 jeff millar
From: jeff millar @ 2003-09-02  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lkml

Some questions

1. Why doesn't the PS/2 mouse autoload as a module?
Running 2.6.0-test4, psmouse doesn't autoload as a module.  Oddly, neither
gpm nor X complains about the missing module, the mouse just doesn't work.
But if I modprobe psmouse, the cursor starts moving.  I verified that
/dev/psaux uses char-major-10-1 and that it has an "alias char-major-10-1
psaux" in modprobe.conf.

2. Why do I have to compile CONFIG_SERIO into the kernel?  If it's set to
module, then the link step for various modules complains about missing atkbd
symbols?

I'd appreciate any hints on what to try.

thanks, jeff

Some more questions to help me understand how this works...

1. What does kmod send to modprobe?  From looking at modprobe.conf
apparently "char-major-x-y".
2. Does kmod send any other strings to modprobe?
3. Documentation/kmod.txt says "passing the name (to modprobe) that was
requested", couldn't this be more explicit?
4. Does kmod gets the major-minor number from the device file upon open(),
or some other way?

* Re: 2.6.0-test4, psmouse doesn't autoload, CONFIG_SERIO doesn't module
@ 2003-09-02 13:44 "Andrey Borzenkov"
From: "Andrey Borzenkov"  @ 2003-09-02 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: "jeff millar" ; +Cc: linux-kernel

> 1. Why doesn't the PS/2 mouse autoload as a module?
> Running 2.6.0-test4, psmouse doesn't autoload as a module.  Oddly,  neither
> gpm nor X complains about the missing module, the mouse just doesn't work.
> But if I modprobe psmouse, the cursor starts moving.  I verified that
> /dev/psaux uses char-major-10-1 and that it has an "alias char-major-10-1
> psaux" in modprobe.conf.

because in 2.6 user-level programs do not speak with low-level hardware
drivers anymore. psmouse feeds events to input midlayer that dispatches
them to those handlers that expressed interest. And those handlers speak
with user-level tools.

/dev/psaux is an *emulated* ImPS mouse that is not related to any
real hardware. It will convert events from _any_ mouse you have into
PS/2 protocol for users but if there is no mouse it just sits there
and waits.

/dev/psaux is provided by mousemod not psmouse.

In general there seems to be no way to load low-level input drivers
on access because there is no instance that ever accesses them. And
as it stands now there is not way to auto-load using some other means.
So we are back in static configuration times ...

> 1. What does kmod send to modprobe?  From looking at modprobe.conf apparently "char-major-x-y".

only for misc devices. It is char-major-X for most others

> 2. Does kmod send any other strings to modprobe?

no.

> 3. Documentation/kmod.txt says "passing the name (to modprobe) that was
> requested", couldn't this be more explicit?

what exactly do you mean?

> 4. Does kmod gets the major-minor number from the device file upon open(),
> or some other way?

from device file on open.

-andrey

-
> 1. Why doesn't the PS/2 mouse autoload as a module?
> Running 2.6.0-test4, psmouse doesn't autoload as a module.  Oddly,  neither
> gpm nor X complains about the missing module, the mouse just doesn't work.
> But if I modprobe psmouse, the cursor starts moving.  I verified that
> /dev/psaux uses char-major-10-1 and that it has an "alias char-major-10-1
> psaux" in modprobe.conf.

because in 2.6 user-level programs do not speak with low-level hardware
drivers anymore. psmouse feeds events to input midlayer that dispatches
them to those handlers that expressed interest. And those handlers speak
with user-level tools.

/dev/psaux is an *emulated* ImPS mouse that is not related to any
real hardware. It will convert events from _any_ mouse you have into
PS/2 protocol for users but if there is no mouse it just sits there
and waits.

/dev/psaux is provided by mousemod not psmouse.

In general there seems to be no way to load low-level input drivers
on access because there is no instance that ever accesses them. And
as it stands now there is not way to auto-load using some other means.
So we are back in static configuration times ...

> 1. What does kmod send to modprobe?  From looking at modprobe.conf apparently "char-major-x-y".

only for misc devices. It is char-major-X for most others

> 2. Does kmod send any other strings to modprobe?

no.

> 3. Documentation/kmod.txt says "passing the name (to modprobe) that was
> requested", couldn't this be more explicit?

what exactly do you mean?

> 4. Does kmod gets the major-minor number from the device file upon open(),
> or some other way?

from device file on open.

-andrey