* 2.6.0-test3+bk: ACPI does not switch off the computer
@ 2003-08-22  6:29 Alex Riesen
From: Alex Riesen @ 2003-08-22  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew.grover; +Cc: acpi-devel, linux-kernel

Actually it started happening from -test3.
The last I see on screen is "Power down." and the system is halted.
CAD reboots it.

-alex

#
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y
# CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set

#
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
#
CONFIG_ACPI_HT=y
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
# CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y

#
# APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
#
# CONFIG_APM is not set

* Re: 2.6.0-test3+bk: ACPI does not switch off the computer
@ 2003-08-22 21:41 ` Micha Feigin
From: Micha Feigin @ 2003-08-22 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kernel list

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 09:29, Alex Riesen wrote:
> Actually it started happening from -test3.
> The last I see on screen is "Power down." and the system is halted.
> CAD reboots it.

I have the same problem with some kernels (I get this with 2.4.21, don't
think with 2.6.0-test3-bk8 but not sure since its very unstable on my
machine and I don't have the time to play with it now).

The solution was to change the sleep level for ACPI when turnign of from
S5 to S4 (don't know why this works). In the file
kernel-source-2.6.0-test3-bk8/drivers/acpi/sleep/poweroff.c
function
acpi_power_off
try replacing ACPI_STATE_S5 with ACPI_STATE_S4

> -alex
>
> #
> # Power management options (ACPI, APM)
> #
> CONFIG_PM=y
> # CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND is not set
>
> #
> # ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
> #
> CONFIG_ACPI_HT=y
> CONFIG_ACPI=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
> CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
> CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
> CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
> CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
> CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
> # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
> # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
> # CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
> CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
>
> #
> # APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
> #
> # CONFIG_APM is not set
>
> -
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il

* Re: 2.6.0-test3+bk: ACPI does not switch off the computer
@ 2003-09-03  5:45   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-03  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Micha Feigin; +Cc: Kernel list

Hi!

> The solution was to change the sleep level for ACPI when turnign of from
> S5 to S4 (don't know why this works). In the file

S4 and S5 are very similar; no wonder this works.

--
				Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...