* hi-res fb console with 2.6.0-testX ?
@ 2003-09-07 19:51 cheapisp
From: cheapisp @ 2003-09-07 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The kernel command lines which work with vesafb and matroxfb in 2.4 do not

work for me in 2.6.0-testX.

kernel (hd0,0)/bz-2.6.0-t4mm3 root=/dev/hdc2 video=matrox:vesa:0x11A

kernel (hd0,0)/bz-2.6.0-t4mm3 root=/dev/hdc2 vga=794

both result in something resembling a Vesa 101 mode under 2.6.0-test4-mm3.

(640x480, 60 Hz)

I'd expect 1280x1024 in 60 Hz, which is what I get with a 2.4 kernel.

Doing fbset "vesa11A" causes the monitor to lose the sync.

Current vc then reports :

mode "1280x1024-61"

    # D: 109.890 MHz, H: 63.594 kHz, V: 61.089 Hz

    geometry 1280 1024 1280 1024 16

    timings 9100 288 32 14 1 128 2

    accel true

    rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0

endmode

which looks about right, but the neighbor vc reports:

mode "640x480-203"

    # D: 109.890 MHz, H: 101.002 kHz, V: 203.223 Hz

    geometry 640 480 1280 1024 16

    timings 9100 288 32 14 1 128 2

    accel true

    rgba 5/11,6/5,5/0,0/0

endmode

which appears to be a little off the mark....

(Got this by typing 'fbset', 'alt-F2, 'fbset' while the monitor was blanked.

I got my /etc/fb.modes from here:

http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/linux/matrox-latest/fb.modes.vesa60.gz

Hardware:

Matrox G450DH + Hansol 19" LCD panel. Analog connection.

X works perfectly:

(II) MGA(0): I2C Monitor info: 0x867c2a8

(II) MGA(0): Manufacturer: HSL  Model: 603b  Serial#: 0

(II) MGA(0): Year: 2003  Week: 18

(II) MGA(0): EDID Version: 1.3

(II) MGA(0): Analog Display Input,  Input Voltage Level: 0.714/0.286 V

(II) MGA(0): Sync:  Separate

(II) MGA(0): Max H-Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 34  vert.: 27

(II) MGA(0): Gamma: 1.00

(II) MGA(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off; RGB/Color Display

(II) MGA(0): redX: 0.608 redY: 0.342   greenX: 0.286 greenY: 0.565

(II) MGA(0): blueX: 0.141 blueY: 0.089   whiteX: 0.291 whiteY: 0.314

(II) MGA(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:

(II) MGA(0): 720x400@70Hz

(II) MGA(0): 640x480@60Hz

(II) MGA(0): 640x480@67Hz

(II) MGA(0): 640x480@72Hz

(II) MGA(0): 640x480@75Hz

(II) MGA(0): 800x600@56Hz

(II) MGA(0): 800x600@60Hz

(II) MGA(0): 800x600@72Hz

(II) MGA(0): 800x600@75Hz

(II) MGA(0): 832x624@75Hz

(II) MGA(0): 1024x768@60Hz

(II) MGA(0): 1024x768@70Hz

(II) MGA(0): 1024x768@75Hz

(II) MGA(0): 1280x1024@75Hz

(II) MGA(0): 1152x870@75Hz

(II) MGA(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0

(II) MGA(0): Supported Future Video Modes:

(II) MGA(0): #0: hsize: 640  vsize 480  refresh: 60  vid: 16433

(II) MGA(0): #1: hsize: 800  vsize 600  refresh: 60  vid: 16453

(II) MGA(0): #2: hsize: 1024  vsize 768  refresh: 60  vid: 16481

(II) MGA(0): #3: hsize: 1280  vsize 1024  refresh: 60  vid: 32897

(II) MGA(0): Supported additional Video Mode:

(II) MGA(0): clock: 108.0 MHz   Image Size:  338 x 270 mm

(II) MGA(0): h_active: 1280  h_sync: 1328  h_sync_end 1440 h_blank_end 1688
h_border: 0
(II) MGA(0): v_active: 1024  v_sync: 1025  v_sync_end 1028 v_blanking: 1066
v_border: 0
(II) MGA(0): Ranges: V min: 56  V max: 77 Hz, H min: 30  H max: 81 kHz,
PixClock max 140 MHz
(II) MGA(0): Monitor name: H950

(II) MGA(0): end of I2C Monitor info

../get-edid: get-edid version 1.4.1

        Performing real mode VBE call

        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f00 bx=0x0 cx=0x0

        Function supported

        Call successful

        VBE version 300

        VBE string at 0xc5597 "Matrox Graphics Inc."

        VBE/DDC service about to be called

        Report DDC capabilities

        Performing real mode VBE call

        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x0 cx=0x0

        Function supported

        Call successful

        Monitor and video card combination does not support DDC1 transfers

        Monitor and video card combination supports DDC2 transfers

        0 seconds per 128 byte EDID block transfer

        Screen is not blanked during DDC transfer

Reading next EDID block

VBE/DDC service about to be called

        Read EDID

        Performing real mode VBE call

        Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0

        Function supported

        Call successful

[+ a little binary crap here.....]
Is the fbconsole support in 2.6 somewhat broken, or am I missing something
obvious?

Dag

* Re: hi-res fb console with 2.6.0-testX ?
@ 2003-09-07 21:58 ` Dave Jones
From: Dave Jones @ 2003-09-07 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cheapisp; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:51:51PM +0200, cheapisp@sensewave.com wrote:
 > The kernel command lines which work with vesafb and matroxfb in 2.4 do not
 > work for me in 2.6.0-testX.
 >
 > kernel (hd0,0)/bz-2.6.0-t4mm3 root=/dev/hdc2 video=matrox:vesa:0x11A
 > kernel (hd0,0)/bz-2.6.0-t4mm3 root=/dev/hdc2 vga=794
 >
 > both result in something resembling a Vesa 101 mode under 2.6.0-test4-mm3.
 >
 > (640x480, 60 Hz)
 >
 > I'd expect 1280x1024 in 60 Hz, which is what I get with a 2.4 kernel.

vga= seems to have changed semantics. (Which is a polite way of saying
"has regressed" IMO), this has been reported several times before, but
it doesn't seem to be too high on peoples 'must fix' list.

 > Doing fbset "vesa11A" causes the monitor to lose the sync.

last I looked, fbset needed updates for the changes in 2.6

		Dave

--
 Dave Jones     http://www.codemonkey.org.uk

* Re: hi-res fb console with 2.6.0-testX ?
@ 2003-09-09  8:54     ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-09  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vandrovec
  Cc: Dave Jones, Linux Kernel Development, cheapisp,
	Linux Frame Buffer Device Development

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:57:34PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> > > And whole fb subsystem changed semantic, so do not build both
> > > vesafb & matroxfb into the kernel - either one or another, or
> > > you'll be definitely surprised what will happen (and I'm almost
> > > sure that blank screen is not what you want).
> >
> > What's wrong with the resource system that prevents this from working?
>
> vesafb ignore failures... for framebuffer it just prints warning only, and
> for 0x3C0 region it just completely ignores warning (due to vgacon
> clash). But it should not be serious, user should just get console
> on matroxfb, and vesafb on /dev/fb1 doing nothing.

OK.

> Main thing which prevents this from working as users expects is that
> modular fbdevs cannot be used by fbcon. So people cannot create
> initrd scripts which load proper fbdev driver anymore, after detecting
> hardware and making sure that hardware & user wishes & driver are
> compatible. They now have to build fbdevs to the kernel, and hope for
> the best...

Ugh, didn't know that...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: hi-res fb console with 2.6.0-testX ?
@ 2003-09-08 22:38   ` Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-09-08 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Dave Jones, Linux Kernel Development, cheapisp,
	Linux Frame Buffer Device Development

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 10:57:34PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
>
> > And whole fb subsystem changed semantic, so do not build both
> > vesafb & matroxfb into the kernel - either one or another, or
> > you'll be definitely surprised what will happen (and I'm almost
> > sure that blank screen is not what you want).
>
> What's wrong with the resource system that prevents this from working?

vesafb ignore failures... for framebuffer it just prints warning only, and
for 0x3C0 region it just completely ignores warning (due to vgacon
clash). But it should not be serious, user should just get console
on matroxfb, and vesafb on /dev/fb1 doing nothing.

Main thing which prevents this from working as users expects is that
modular fbdevs cannot be used by fbcon. So people cannot create
initrd scripts which load proper fbdev driver anymore, after detecting
hardware and making sure that hardware & user wishes & driver are
compatible. They now have to build fbdevs to the kernel, and hope for
the best...
					Best regards,
						Petr Vandrovec

* Re: hi-res fb console with 2.6.0-testX ?
@ 2003-09-08 20:57 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-08 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Vandrovec
  Cc: Dave Jones, Linux Kernel Development, cheapisp,
	Linux Frame Buffer Device Development

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On  7 Sep 03 at 22:58, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:51:51PM +0200, cheapisp@sensewave.com wrote:
> >  > The kernel command lines which work with vesafb and matroxfb in 2.4 do not
> >  > work for me in 2.6.0-testX.
> >  >
> >  > kernel (hd0,0)/bz-2.6.0-t4mm3 root=/dev/hdc2 video=matrox:vesa:0x11A
> >  > kernel (hd0,0)/bz-2.6.0-t4mm3 root=/dev/hdc2 vga=794
> > vga= seems to have changed semantics. (Which is a polite way of saying
> > "has regressed" IMO), this has been reported several times before, but
> > it doesn't seem to be too high on peoples 'must fix' list.
> >
> >  > Doing fbset "vesa11A" causes the monitor to lose the sync.
> >
> > last I looked, fbset needed updates for the changes in 2.6
>
> video= changed sematic too. Now you have to do
> video=matroxfb:...., not video=matrox:....
>
> And /dev/fb* changed semantic too, so forget about using fbset on your
> box.

I really like to see this fixed. IMHO fbcon should be build on top of fbdev,
not vice-versa.

@ 2003-09-08 10:29 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-09-08 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Jones; +Cc: linux-kernel, cheapisp