* BugReport: USB (ACPI), E100, SWSUSP problems (test5 vs. test3)
@ 2003-09-10 13:11 Tom Winkler
From: Tom Winkler @ 2003-09-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I recently updated my kernel on my laptop (Sony Vaio FX403, i815 chipset, PIII
1GHz CPU) from 2.6.0test3 to 2.6.0test5 (I skipped test4). I used the same
.config for test5 as for test3.

test5 (or already test4) introduced some problems that were not there in
test3:

- USB is totally dead
  This notebook has some IRQ routing problems and requires ACPI to get it
right. When using older 2.4 Kernels I always had to apply the ACPI patches to
get USB working. Because of that I suspect that the problems with test5 might
be ACPI related as well.

- The e100 driver seems to be broken
  The NIC is detected correctly and ifconfig shows eth0 as usually. But for
some reason not a single Byte seems to go over the NIC.

- SWSUSP
  In test5 there is no /proc/acpi/sleep
  In test3 suspend to disk (and resume) works in "console only" mode.
Suspending from X11 works too but resuming hangs. The last message that gets
displayed is "Waiting for DMAs to settle down...". At this point the machine
seems to freeze completely.
Remark: I had SWSUSP working on this very same machine with older 2.4 kernels
and seperat SWSUSP patches. It never worked with 2.6 so far.

full dmesg:   http://www.wnk.at/tmp/test5/dmesg-2.6.0test5.txt
.config used building the kernel:   http://www.wnk.at/tmp/test5/config.txt

Since I'm not subscribed to LKM please CC me on replys.

Tom Winkler
e-mail: tom@qwws.net

* Re: BugReport: USB (ACPI), E100, SWSUSP problems (test5 vs. test3)
@ 2003-09-10 19:28 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Winkler; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

> - SWSUSP
>   In test5 there is no /proc/acpi/sleep
>   In test3 suspend to disk (and resume) works in "console only" mode.
> Suspending from X11 works too but resuming hangs. The last message that gets
> displayed is "Waiting for DMAs to settle down...". At this point the machine
> seems to freeze completely.
> Remark: I had SWSUSP working on this very same machine with older 2.4 kernels
> and seperat SWSUSP patches. It never worked with 2.6 so far.

Test again in -test6 or -test7. Big changes are now going on.

Or take -test3 and try to find out which hardware driver needs to be
unloaded in order for swsusp to work.

									Pavel

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

* RE: BugReport: USB (ACPI), E100, SWSUSP problems (test5 vs. test3)
@ 2003-09-10 16:32 Feldman, Scott
From: Feldman, Scott @ 2003-09-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom, linux-kernel

> - The e100 driver seems to be broken
>   The NIC is detected correctly and ifconfig shows eth0 as
> usually. But for some reason not a single Byte seems to go over the
NIC.

The only change to e100 between test3 and test5 is:

-       kfree(dev);
+       free_netdev(dev);

But that's only relevant when the driver is unloaded, so I would
consider the drivers in test3 and test5 the same for your case.

What are you doing with eth0 that worked for test3, but not for test5?

-scott