* Large-file corruption. ReiserFS? VFS?
@ 2003-09-11 20:28 Kyle Rose
       [not found] ` <20030911144732.S18851@schatzie.adilger.int>
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kyle Rose @ 2003-09-11 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I ran mkisofs (2.01a16) this morning on a 2.6.0-test4 machine with the
target on a 60GB ReiserFS partition.  The resulting file was to be
just over 4GB (around 4,360,000,000 bytes), and during most of the
course of writing the file, a small prefix looked as it should through
a hexdump: that is, just part of the iso9660 directory.

However, just as the write completed, the beginning of the file became
corrupted.  I considered a 4GB problem to be likely, and re-tested
with fewer source files such that the result would be smaller than
4GB; lo and behold, no corruption.  The same result occurs whether
mkisofs is given the -o flag, or output is redirected to a file from
stdout using the shell's redirection facility, suggesting the problem
is probably at the kernel level.

I don't have a large enough ext2/3 filesystem to compare with, so
there's no easy way for me to tell whether this is a Reiser-only
problem or not.  Can anyone confirm that they see the same problem, or
whether they see a similar problem on another file system?  Please
feel free to ask me for any other information you think might be
illuminating.

Cheers,
Kyle

[parent not found: <uGoz.5NC.7@gated-at.bofh.it>]