* Complaint: Wacom driver in 2.6
@ 2003-09-29 12:21 Simon Ask Ulsnes
From: Simon Ask Ulsnes @ 2003-09-29 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello there!
I am the lucky owner of a Wacom Graphire 2 tablet, which works great with the
latest 2.4-kernels. However, the 2.6-drive is unusually and utterly broken.
Frankly, it doesn't work at all.

When I load up X11 with the proper /dev-symlinks and all that stuff in place
(2.6 names the tablet /dev/input/event1 as opposed to 2.4, which names it /
dev/input/event0), the tablet simply doesn't respond. I can see in my
XFree86.0.log file that the tablet is recognized correctly by the kernel, but
that's about it.

Of course, I tried the linux-wacom (linux-wacom.sourceforge.net) drivers, but
they fail to compile most miserably (the beta dev-version). From what I could
deduce of the compiler output, it is incompatible with 2.6.

I filed a bug report a long time ago (2.5.65-ish), but no one really seemed to
care.

I would really like some info on what progress is being made in this area, as
it currently is the only thing stopping me from switching seriously to 2.6.
I suppose it is also one of those drivers that Linus keeps talking about need
to be ready before 2.6 can be finally released (in which I agree, obviously).

And finally, some relevant system specs:
Distro: Gentoo
Kernel: 2.6.0-test6
X11: XFree86 4.3.99.12

Yours sincerely,
Simon Ask Ulsnes

* Re: Complaint: Wacom driver in 2.6
@ 2003-09-29 18:56 ` Matt Gibson
From: Matt Gibson @ 2003-09-29 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Simon Ask Ulsnes

On Monday 29 Sep 2003 13:21, Simon Ask Ulsnes wrote:
> Hello there!
> I am the lucky owner of a Wacom Graphire 2 tablet, which works great with
> the latest 2.4-kernels. However, the 2.6-drive is unusually and utterly
> broken. Frankly, it doesn't work at all.

If it's any hope for you, I'm using the Wacom driver with an original
Graphire, and it's working OK for me.  I'm currently on 2.6.0-test5, and I'm
pretty sure I'm using the vanilla wacom.c (it's version 1.30 according to
the comments.)

If you want any info about how I've got things configured, feel free to give
me a shout.  In particular, I've got these relevant entries in my
XF86Config:

# Our ordinary PS/2 and Wacom mice; they're both multiplexed into
# /dev/mice by the kernel input event handling.
Section "InputDevice"
  Driver       "mouse"
  Identifier   "Mouse[1]"
  Option       "ButtonNumber" "5"
  Option       "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
  Option       "Name" "Autodetection"
  Option       "Protocol" "imps/2"
  Option       "Vendor" "Random"
  Option       "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Goodness knows if I need half those options set up; it's a
much-hacked-about-with old file that was originally set up by the SuSE SaX2
configuration tool, about three years ago!  But I tend to live by "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it."  I guess the important thing I did to get it
working under 2.6.0 was just to drop all the event interface crap and just
run it off /dev/input/mice, which is where the kernel happily feeds all the
wacom input through into.

Section "ServerLayout"
	... other stuff deleted ...
  InputDevice  "Mouse[1]" "CorePointer"
EndSection

That's all I needed to get the mouse and pen working.  Of course, to go the
whole hog and get the pressure sensitive stuff and the pointer vs. eraser
functionality etc. you'd need to use the X11 wacom driver, but I've never
actually felt the need.

Cheers,

Matt

--
"It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
 and learning how to live amongst them."

* Re: Complaint: Wacom driver in 2.6
@ 2003-09-30  6:59   ` Simon Ask Ulsnes
From: Simon Ask Ulsnes @ 2003-09-30  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gibson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thanks for replying.
You aren't even using the wacom driver!
Mine works too in that way (I think it is some kind of regular PS/2 mouse
emulation or so).

Come to think of it, maybe the problem lies in the XFree86 driver, which I
suppose isn't really compatible with the new kernel. Well, whatayaknow... ;-)

- Simon

@ 2003-09-30 17:13     ` Matt Gibson
From: Matt Gibson @ 2003-09-30 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Ask Ulsnes; +Cc: linux-kernel

[disclaimer: I am not a kernel developer!]
On Tuesday 30 Sep 2003 07:59, Simon Ask Ulsnes <simon@ulsnes.dk> wrote:
> Thanks for replying.
> You aren't even using the wacom driver!

I _am_ using the wacom driver.  I'm just using the wacom kernel driver rather
than the XFree86 wacom  driver.

> Mine works too in that way (I think it is some kind of regular PS/2 mouse
> emulation or so).

I think it goes something like this: the kernel wacom driver now interprets
wacom packets into standard kernel mouse input.  See drivers/usb/input/
wacom.c for that: it's the wacom_graphire_irq() function that's doing it for
us both.  Then /dev/mice gathers the input from all sources like this and
presents them as a single ps/2-style mouse interface.  I _think_ this is
done in mousedev.c, but I haven't really looked into it.  Someone feel free
to correct me!

On my machine, the result is that events from both my Wacom and my old PS/2
style mouse are seamlessly merged into /dev/mice, so that's all X needs to
consider, and I could use them both at once if I wanted.  Not that useful to
me, in fact, and the PS/2 mouse is only connected for those rare occasions
when I boot into some ancient program from a DOS floppy, but hey...

I think, if you want to get the XFree86 driver working, you can't use /dev/
mice as well (otherwise, for example, when using the pen,  your X mouse will
get events from both /dev/mice, as the kernel translates the pen movements
into /dev/mice events, _and_ from the Wacom driver interpreting the same
input event stream.

> Come to think of it, maybe the problem lies in the XFree86 driver, which I
> suppose isn't really compatible with the new kernel. Well, whatayaknow...
> ;-)

I think that may be your problem.  I don't know whether the standard event
interface has changed at all recently.  I haven't found any need for the
extra tablet features yet that would need me to look into the XFree driver
thoroughly (one thing I do remember, though, is that the last time I looked,
you needed to remove the mouse from the pad and drop it back down again
before the driver started working -- did you try that, or were you seeing
weird results rather than no results at all?)

Anyway.  It's quite possible that as 2.6 starts "getting about a bit", the
XFree86 driver will be naturally updated to cope with it.  I don't know what
the current status of the driver is.  The project homepage is here:
http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~flepied/projects/wacom/ ...but I'm guessing
you'd already found that.

Good luck!

@ 2003-09-30 20:59       ` Simon Ask Ulsnes
From: Simon Ask Ulsnes @ 2003-09-30 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Gibson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Exactly. Of course I never have both the IMPS/2 protocol driver and the Wacom
driver enabled at the same time in XF86Config. The only difference between
working and non-working is the kernel version. (i.e. it works perfectly with
2.4 and not at all with 2.6).

One funny thing: I haven't got the mousedev module loaded at all, only evdev,
hid and wacom.

You are right about the micro-bug about having to lift the mouse off the
tablet for the wacom driver under 2.4 to be activated. That is standard
behaviour, and has no effect with 2.6.

The reason I am not satisfied with things the way they are is that it feels
like somehow the dimensions on the tablet don't fit with the screen. E.g., my
mouse or pen might hit an edge on the tablet being several centimeters from
the edge of the screen. And mouse (not pen) movement is absolute, it should
be relative, which is a pain in a certain place.

The link you provided is outdated, the newest project is on
linuxwacom.sourceforge.net. It seems strangely stalled, though.

Sincerely yours,
Simon Ask Ulsnes

@ 2003-09-30 22:19         ` Matt Gibson
From: Matt Gibson @ 2003-09-30 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Ask Ulsnes; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tuesday 30 Sep 2003 21:59, Simon Ask Ulsnes wrote:
> One funny thing: I haven't got the mousedev module loaded at all, only
> evdev, hid and wacom.

Mousedev can only be compiled as a module if you've said yes to "Remove
Kernel Features" from the General Setup screen (usually used for lightweight
embedded kernels.)   Otherwise it's always compiled straight in.

> The reason I am not satisfied with things the way they are is that it
> feels like somehow the dimensions on the tablet don't fit with the screen.
> E.g., my mouse or pen might hit an edge on the tablet being several
> centimeters from the edge of the screen. And mouse (not pen) movement is
> absolute, it should be relative, which is a pain in a certain place.

Hmm.  Well, I think I'll give it a go and see what I can get working; I'll
probably want to use the pen/eraser stuff properly at some point.  Although
I'm not drawing much any more, they do come in handy sometimes.  I'll get
back to you after I've had a bit of a play.

> The link you provided is outdated, the newest project is on
> linuxwacom.sourceforge.net. It seems strangely stalled, though.

Thanks; I'll update my bookmarks.  It has been a while!