* trying to get udev running with 2.6.0-test6
@ 2003-10-04  2:20 reg
From: reg @ 2003-10-04  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Im trying to get udev working with 2.6.0 (as a replacement for devfs).

Im following the instructions as I read them, but *nada*.
So, I must be mis-interpreting something...

OK, I made sysfs, actually I added the line

    none       /sysfs      sysfs   defaults        0 0

to /etc/fstab, and did a 'mount -a'.
There is 'stuff' below this node.

I built udev-0.2, and put udev in /sbin/udev

I put /sbin/udev into /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug (replacing /bin/true) with

    echo /sbin/udev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

doing a cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug shows that it is there.

I have then plugged and unplugged a USB device and /udev does not appear.
So I did a 'mkdir /udev'.
Plug and unplug again.

Still nothing.

So, what am I missing???
[[ there are numerous messages in the /var/log/messages for each plug/unplug
of the USB device ]]
--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg@dwf.com

* Re: trying to get udev running with 2.6.0-test6
@ 2003-10-04 21:39 ` Greg KH
       [not found]   ` <200310050209.h9529gSm002941@orion.dwf.com>
From: Greg KH @ 2003-10-04 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reg; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 08:20:31PM -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:
> Im trying to get udev working with 2.6.0 (as a replacement for devfs).

First off, linux-kernel is probably not the place to be asking this.
You should try this on the linux-hotplug-devel list and at least cc: the
author of udev.  Anyway...

> Im following the instructions as I read them, but *nada*.

What instructions?  :)

> So, I must be mis-interpreting something...
>
> OK, I made sysfs, actually I added the line
>
>     none       /sysfs      sysfs   defaults        0 0
>
> to /etc/fstab, and did a 'mount -a'.
> There is 'stuff' below this node.

Try mounting it at /sys instead, that's the "recommended" place for it,
but udev should still be able to figure out where it is.

> I built udev-0.2, and put udev in /sbin/udev
>
> I put /sbin/udev into /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug (replacing /bin/true) with
>
>     echo /sbin/udev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
>
> doing a cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug shows that it is there.
>
> I have then plugged and unplugged a USB device and /udev does not appear.
> So I did a 'mkdir /udev'.
> Plug and unplug again.
>
> Still nothing.
>
> So, what am I missing???

The fact that the config files are hardcoded to be looked for at
/home/greg/src/udev/ and you probably do not have that path on your
system?  :)

> [[ there are numerous messages in the /var/log/messages for each plug/unplug
> of the USB device ]]

Are they from udev?  What do they say?  Any errors?

Yes, I need to write a better install script and instructions, sorry.
It's on my list of things to do...

thanks,

greg k-h

@ 2003-10-05  3:48     ` Greg KH
       [not found]       ` <200310052342.h95NggUW004701@orion.dwf.com>
From: Greg KH @ 2003-10-05  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reg; +Cc: linux-kernel, reg

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 08:09:42PM -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> I did a couple of greps of the code, found that there was some debugging
> support, changed the syslog to print this stuff out, and ran your two tests.
>
> My problem is in the same place in both, probably 80 lines or so in, where
> I get the sequence:
>
>     Oct  4 19:41:52 orion udev: udev_init: sysfs_path = /sysfs
>     Oct  4 19:41:52 orion udev: get_class_dev: looking at
> /sysfs/class/tty/ttyUSB0
>     Oct  4 19:41:52 orion udev: get_class_dev: sysfs_open_class_device failed
>
> And, yes your code is smart enough to find the sysfs, nomatter whare it is
> mounted,
> be that /sys or /sysfs.  For the other test the middle line is replaced with
>
>     Oct  4 19:57:35 orion udev: get_class_dev: looking at /sysfs/block/sda
>
> In neither case does the LAST component of the name exist in the real /dev
> filesystem.

Then the test wouldn't have helped you out any, as it needs those
devices present.  Those tests were what I used in debugging, I need to
build them up into some real test cases.

>     Oct  4 20:06:35 orion kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: new USB device on port 2,
> assigned address 4
>     Oct  4 20:06:35 orion udev: main: looking at /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0d
> .0/usb3/3-2
>     Oct  4 20:06:35 orion udev: main: not block or class
>     Oct  4 20:06:35 orion udev: main: looking at /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0d
> .0/usb3/3-2/3-2:2.0
>     Oct  4 20:06:35 orion udev: main: not block or class

Hm, does this USB device actually work on your machine?  Do you have the
usb-storage driver and the scsi stuff loaded?  You need to have that
loaded for udev to be able to work.

> But just a REALLY dumb question, one that should be answered in the README or
> INSTALL or something.  If this *were* working, where would I expect to
> see the new fs entry appear?  in /udev, in /dev, somewhare else?  Ive
> been looking everywhere, but with the above error, havent seen
> anything yet.

You should see the device node created in /udev.  But it should also
show up in sysfs too, and it doesn't seem like that is hapening, so udev
can't really work yet.

Thanks for putting up with some very rough code.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h

@ 2003-12-10  1:03         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2003-12-10  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reg; +Cc: linux-kernel, reg

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 05:42:42PM -0600, reg@dwf.com wrote:

> Greg:-
>
> Well I do seem to be getting closer with udev.

Oops, sorry for not responding to this messages, missed it.

Does the 008 release of udev work for you now with your configuration?

thanks,

greg k-h