* getrlimit for an arbitrary process?
@ 2003-11-02  9:05 Ville Herva
From: Ville Herva @ 2003-11-02  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

[I did try google, but wasn't lucky, so...]

Is there a way to query/set getrlimit/setrlimit for an arbitrary process?
Not that I absolutely need it, but it would be nice to know if a daemon
really has resource limits in effect.

Couldn't find it under /proc, at least on 2.4.x.

(A 2.4.21-pre4aa3 server just locked up hard rather horrendeously when
SpamAssassin spamd decided to fork a couple of thousand processes... Looks
like I need sprinkle ulimit lines all over /etc/init.d/*.)

-- v --

v@iki.fi

* Re: getrlimit for an arbitrary process?
@ 2003-11-03  3:14 ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2003-11-03  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Herva; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Ville Herva wrote:

> Is there a way to query/set getrlimit/setrlimit for an arbitrary process?

Nope, rlimits only work on the current process
(and a few of them work on the current UID).

> Couldn't find it under /proc, at least on 2.4.x.

Good idea for 2.7, though we might as well go
all the way and set up more arbitrary resource
groups.

Take a look at http://ckrm.sourceforge.net/  ;)

* Re: getrlimit for an arbitrary process?
@ 2003-11-03  6:22   ` Ville Herva
From: Ville Herva @ 2003-11-03  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik van Riel; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:14:11PM -0500, you [Rik van Riel] wrote:

> Nope, rlimits only work on the current process
> (and a few of them work on the current UID).

Yep.

> > Couldn't find it under /proc, at least on 2.4.x.
>
> Good idea for 2.7, though we might as well go
> all the way and set up more arbitrary resource
> groups.
>
> Take a look at http://ckrm.sourceforge.net/  ;)

Interesting. So is linux-vservers (and a bunch of other projects). I hope
the common denominator of these can be distilled out and soaked into the
mainline kernel...

thanks,

-- v --

v@iki.fi