* USB mass storage device problem
@ 2003-11-12  2:03 jim beam
From: jim beam @ 2003-11-12  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I am attempting to get a CompactFlash reader to work (Soyo SB-K7VXBP).  The
device sits in a 3.5" bay and plugs directly into a USB1 connector on my
motherboard.  It also provides two USB ports, which work.

The CompactFlash reader almost works.  At bootup, I get this message:

hub 3-0:1.0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 2
  Vendor: SOYO      Model: USB Storage-SMC   Rev: 0214
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2

The device shows up in /sys/block/sda and in
/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage.  Also, /dev/sda is created as a symlink to
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc (I am using devfs).

However, when try to mount /dev/sda, I get an error saying "No medium
found".  I have tried inserting the card after booting and also before
booting, with the same result.  I am using the 2.6.0-test9 kernel, but I
have had this device since early 2.4 and it has never worked.  It is not
damaged hardware because Windows detects it as a drive.

Trying to run fdisk on /dev/sda gives the message "Unable to open /dev/sda".
  Is there something else I need to do, or any more information I can
provide to debug this problem?

Thanks,
Jim

Is your computer infected with a virus?  Find out with a FREE computer virus
scan from McAfee.  Take the FreeScan now!

* Re: USB mass storage device problem
@ 2003-11-12  2:15 ` Matthew Dharm
From: Matthew Dharm @ 2003-11-12  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim beam; +Cc: linux-kernel