* The plug and play menu is ISA only?
@ 2003-11-22  2:41 Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2003-11-22  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Is the "plug and play" menu just ISA plug and play only?  (It has nothing to
do with hotplug or anything else, right?  PCI devices are "plug and play",
but that's an actual part of the PCI spec.  USB is hotplug and play, etc.)

Or is this also used for on-motherboard devices in modern systems?  (Is it
ever likely to be needed on a laptop made in the last five years, for
eample?)

Rob

* Re: The plug and play menu is ISA only?
@ 2003-11-22  3:49 ` Måns Rullgård
From: Måns Rullgård @ 2003-11-22  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> writes:

> Is the "plug and play" menu just ISA plug and play only?  (It has nothing to
> do with hotplug or anything else, right?  PCI devices are "plug and play",
> but that's an actual part of the PCI spec.  USB is hotplug and play, etc.)
>
> Or is this also used for on-motherboard devices in modern systems?  (Is it
> ever likely to be needed on a laptop made in the last five years, for
> eample?)

The only time you ever need to select ISA plug and play, is if you
have an old PnP ISA card.  You'd know if you did.  Modern systems
don't even have ISA slots.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@kth.se

* Re: The plug and play menu is ISA only?
@ 2003-11-23  7:04   ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2003-11-23  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Måns Rullgård, linux-kernel

On Friday 21 November 2003 21:49, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> writes:
> > Is the "plug and play" menu just ISA plug and play only?  (It has nothing
> > to do with hotplug or anything else, right?  PCI devices are "plug and
> > play", but that's an actual part of the PCI spec.  USB is hotplug and
> > play, etc.)
> >
> > Or is this also used for on-motherboard devices in modern systems?  (Is
> > it ever likely to be needed on a laptop made in the last five years, for
> > eample?)
>
> The only time you ever need to select ISA plug and play, is if you
> have an old PnP ISA card.  You'd know if you did.  Modern systems
> don't even have ISA slots.

Shouldn't it be removed the "devices" menu and stuck under bus options->isa
then?  (Yeah, not a critical fix.  But is this sort of thing a 2.6.1
candidate or a 2.7 candidate?)

@ 2003-11-23 23:19     ` Adam Belay
From: Adam Belay @ 2003-11-23 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Landley; +Cc: M?ns Rullg?rd, linux-kernel

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 01:04:01AM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2003 21:49, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> > Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> writes:
> > > Is the "plug and play" menu just ISA plug and play only?  (It has nothing
> > > to do with hotplug or anything else, right?  PCI devices are "plug and
> > > play", but that's an actual part of the PCI spec.  USB is hotplug and
> > > play, etc.)

It also contains PnP BIOS support.  Basically it has protocols for legacy
isapnp cards and some onboard devices such as opl3sa2 and serial ports.

> > > Or is this also used for on-motherboard devices in modern systems?  (Is
> > > it ever likely to be needed on a laptop made in the last five years, for
> > > eample?)
> >
> > The only time you ever need to select ISA plug and play, is if you
> > have an old PnP ISA card.  You'd know if you did.  Modern systems
> > don't even have ISA slots.
>
> Shouldn't it be removed the "devices" menu and stuck under bus options->isa
> then?  (Yeah, not a critical fix.  But is this sort of thing a 2.6.1
> candidate or a 2.7 candidate?)
>
> Rob

Yes, I'm planning on doing so in 2.7, along with some additional restructuring.
Perhaps the entire "plug and play" menu could be moved in 2.6.1 to bus options.

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: The plug and play menu is ISA only?
@ 2003-11-24  4:47       ` Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2003-11-24  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Belay; +Cc: M?ns Rullg?rd, linux-kernel

On Sunday 23 November 2003 17:19, Adam Belay wrote:
> Yes, I'm planning on doing so in 2.7, along with some additional
> restructuring. Perhaps the entire "plug and play" menu could be moved in
> 2.6.1 to bus options.
>
> Thanks,
> Adam

I've got a number of changes I want to make to the menuconfig layout, but the
feature freeze was coming down by the time I started getting actual patches
done.  (The bunzip patch is on the back burner for similar reasons.)

Let me know when you have something to test and I'll try to take a look, and
possibly clean up my own menuconfig to-do list to something legible and
bounce it off you.  (Things like "Universal Serial Bus is a bus, we have a
buses menu, but USB is not under it, why?".  The config layout is somewhere
between "random" and "looney" at this point, actually...)

And in 2.6.1, can we finally move MPT fusion support into the SCSI menu?  I've
been harping on this forever, most recently submitting a patch in August...

http://lkml.org/lkml/2003/8/1/28

But I've been intermittently bugging the list about it for over two years
now...

http://linux-kernel.skylab.org/20010923/msg00093.html

Yeah, it's small and cosmetic.  But it's annoying. :)

Rob