* RE: Toshiba ACPI battery status - ACPI errors
@ 2003-11-24 21:04 Nakajima, Jun
From: Nakajima, Jun @ 2003-11-24 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suspect this is a known issue with AML code from Toshiba. Their _STA
does not return a value explicitly, but (wrongly) expects the AML
interpreter to get the return value returned by the function _STA is
calling, like
	Method (_STA, ....) {
		AAA(...)
	}
Instead of
	Method (_STA, ....) {
		Return (AAA(...))
	}

If you can provide ACPI dump data of the machine, that would be helpful
when identifying the cause. Copy the ACPI mailing list and Len.

	Jun

@ 2003-11-24 21:25 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2003-11-24 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jun,

I'd be happy to provide any data to get this problem fixed... how do I
generate an ACPI dump?  I've never done that before.

Bernt

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 01:04:22PM -0800, Nakajima, Jun wrote:
> I suspect this is a known issue with AML code from Toshiba. Their _STA
> does not return a value explicitly, but (wrongly) expects the AML
> interpreter to get the return value returned by the function _STA is
> calling, like
> 	Method (_STA, ....) {
> 		AAA(...)
> 	}
> Instead of
> 	Method (_STA, ....) {
> 		Return (AAA(...))
> 	}
>
> If you can provide ACPI dump data of the machine, that would be helpful
> when identifying the cause. Copy the ACPI mailing list and Len.
--
Bernt Hansen     Norang Consulting Inc.

* Re: [ACPI] RE: Toshiba ACPI battery status - ACPI errors
@ 2003-11-24 22:55 ` Michael Holzt
From: Michael Holzt @ 2003-11-24 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I suspect this is a known issue with AML code from Toshiba.

Sorry, but unfortunately your guess is wrong (would have been too easy). A
few days ago i reported about the Tecra S1 problems on the acpi-devel list
as well, maybe you missed my post, which can be found in the archives here:

  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3511931&forum_id=6102

Included was a link to the disassembled dsdt, which can be found here:

  http://www.kju.de/data/dsdt.dsl

As you can see, the _STA-Methods of both BAT0 and BAT1 do proper return
calls. I'm sorry, but i'm do not have any knowledge about acpi or dsdts to
debug this myself. The DSDT has some other errors as well.

It is somewhat strange, that toshiba as one of the core members of ACPI
seems to be unable to provide sane DSDTs for years now. Something is real
wrong with this company.

Regards
Michael

--
Michael Holzt, DL3KJU, kju@fqdn.org, kju@debian.org, kju@IRCNet

* Re: [ACPI] RE: Toshiba ACPI battery status - ACPI errors
@ 2003-11-25 10:47   ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-11-25 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Holzt

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:55:39PM +0100, Michael Holzt wrote:
> > I suspect this is a known issue with AML code from Toshiba.
>
> Sorry, but unfortunately your guess is wrong (would have been too easy). A
> few days ago i reported about the Tecra S1 problems on the acpi-devel list
> as well, maybe you missed my post, which can be found in the archives here:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3511931&forum_id=6102

Sorry, I missed your post.

> Included was a link to the disassembled dsdt, which can be found here:
>
>   http://www.kju.de/data/dsdt.dsl
>
> As you can see, the _STA-Methods of both BAT0 and BAT1 do proper return
> calls. I'm sorry, but i'm do not have any knowledge about acpi or dsdts to
> debug this myself. The DSDT has some other errors as well.

I posted last week at acpi-devel a patch which fake a ECDT.  That should
at least fix your embedded error you encounter.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6561311

Looking your DSDT, the parameter you have to pass at boot are:

ecdt_fake=0x66:0x62:0x10:-1:\\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0

I hope that at least that will correct some obivous errors.

> It is somewhat strange, that toshiba as one of the core members of ACPI
> seems to be unable to provide sane DSDTs for years now. Something is real
> wrong with this company.

Indeed.  They should change their ODM.

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.