* exiting X and rebooting
@ 2003-11-27 11:17 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-11-27 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Greetings;

I'm not sure what category this minor complaint falls under, but since
its evidenced by a 2.6 kernel and not a 2.4, this seems like the
place.

One of the things I've been meaning to mention is that if I'm running
a 2.6 kernel, and exit X to reboot, the shell that had a cursor when
I started X from it, no longer has a cursor when x has been stopped.
This occurs only for 2.6 kernels, but works as usual for 2.4 kernels
giving a big full character block for a cursor.

One can still type, and the keystrokes are echo'd properly.  But it is
a bit un-nerving at first.  Logging clear out and back in again to
re-init the shell doesn't help.  The cursor is gone.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: exiting X and rebooting
@ 2003-11-27 12:16 ` Helge Hafting
From: Helge Hafting @ 2003-11-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:17:03AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I'm not sure what category this minor complaint falls under, but since
> its evidenced by a 2.6 kernel and not a 2.4, this seems like the
> place.
>
> One of the things I've been meaning to mention is that if I'm running
> a 2.6 kernel, and exit X to reboot, the shell that had a cursor when
> I started X from it, no longer has a cursor when x has been stopped.
> This occurs only for 2.6 kernels, but works as usual for 2.4 kernels
> giving a big full character block for a cursor.
>
> One can still type, and the keystrokes are echo'd properly.  But it is
> a bit un-nerving at first.  Logging clear out and back in again to
> re-init the shell doesn't help.  The cursor is gone.

This seems like a framebuffer problem to me, are you using a framebuffer,
and if so, which one?

Helge Hafting

* Re: exiting X and rebooting
@ 2003-11-27 13:14 ` Daniel Drake
From: Daniel Drake @ 2003-11-27 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gene.heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

Which display driver are you using for X? Using Xinerama/multi-displays or similar?
I noticed this behaviour once on a dual-monitor setup. After starting X then
exiting it, I noticed the problems that you describe on the primary monitor.
However the secondary monitor was showing the output as normal (including
cursor) if I remember correctly.
Both displays were running from a single GeForce4 Ti card, using the nvidia
binary driver under X. No framebuffer.

Never found the problem, but never really investigated either.

@ 2003-11-27 15:25   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-11-27 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Helge Hafting; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thursday 27 November 2003 07:16, Helge Hafting wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:17:03AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> I'm not sure what category this minor complaint falls under, but
>> since its evidenced by a 2.6 kernel and not a 2.4, this seems like
>> the place.
>>
>> One of the things I've been meaning to mention is that if I'm
>> running a 2.6 kernel, and exit X to reboot, the shell that had a
>> cursor when I started X from it, no longer has a cursor when x has
>> been stopped. This occurs only for 2.6 kernels, but works as usual
>> for 2.4 kernels giving a big full character block for a cursor.
>>
>> One can still type, and the keystrokes are echo'd properly.  But
>> it is a bit un-nerving at first.  Logging clear out and back in
>> again to re-init the shell doesn't help.  The cursor is gone.
>
>This seems like a framebuffer problem to me, are you using a
> framebuffer, and if so, which one?
>
>Helge Hafting

Good Q Helge, see this big dummies .config snippets:

[root@coyote linux-2.6]# grep FRAME .config
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y
[root@coyote linux-2.6]# grep VESA .config
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

Since the card is an NVIDIA GForce2 MX200, and X is using its own "nv"
driver, which one should I turn off?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

* Re: exiting X and rebooting
@ 2003-11-27 15:31   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-11-27 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Drake; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thursday 27 November 2003 08:14, Daniel Drake wrote:
>Which display driver are you using for X?

XFree's nv from 4.2.1. Card is a GForce2 MX-200.  Sorry, I should have
included that info.

>Using
> Xinerama/multi-displays or similar?

No, just an elderly NEC 5FG that refuses to die of old age.