* ide-cd 2.6.0-test11 does not work
@ 2003-12-02 16:38 Andrew Ryan
From: Andrew Ryan @ 2003-12-02 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

The docs say I shouldn't need ide-scsi anymore, but ide-scsi is the only way
I can mount cds.  If I try mount /dev/hdc /mnt I get /dev/hdc is not a valid
block device.  After loading ide-scsi, mount /dev/sr0 /mnt works fine
(though if I rip music cds with xcdroast the system locks up, ide-scsi
related oops).  This is on a hp zd7000 notebook with a dvd/cd-rw
(HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE GCC-4241N).

Andy

* Re: ide-cd 2.6.0-test11 does not work
@ 2003-12-02 19:26 ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2003-12-02 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Ryan; +Cc: linux-kernel

Do you have IDE CD support compiled-in or as module (ide-cd)?

--bart

@ 2003-12-03 16:09   ` bill davidsen
From: bill davidsen @ 2003-12-03 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <200312022026.47485.bzolnier@elka.pw.edu.pl>,
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz  <B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:

| Do you have IDE CD support compiled-in or as module (ide-cd)?

I'm assuming that since OP said "loaded" that it was as a module.

| --bart
|
| On Tuesday 02 of December 2003 17:38, Andrew Ryan wrote:
| > The docs say I shouldn't need ide-scsi anymore, but ide-scsi is the only
| > way I can mount cds.  If I try mount /dev/hdc /mnt I get /dev/hdc is not a
| > valid block device.  After loading ide-scsi, mount /dev/sr0 /mnt works fine
| > (though if I rip music cds with xcdroast the system locks up, ide-scsi
| > related oops).  This is on a hp zd7000 notebook with a dvd/cd-rw
| > (HL-DT-STCD-RW/DVD DRIVE GCC-4241N).

Andrew, the recent patch from Linus seems to have fixed a lot of oopsen,
has it cured yours?
--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

* Re: ide-cd 2.6.0-test11 does not work
@ 2003-12-04  8:16     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2003-12-04  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bill davidsen; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Wed, Dec 03 2003, bill davidsen wrote:
> In article <200312022026.47485.bzolnier@elka.pw.edu.pl>,
> Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz  <B.Zolnierkiewicz@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:
> |
> | Do you have IDE CD support compiled-in or as module (ide-cd)?
>
> I'm assuming that since OP said "loaded" that it was as a module.

Well if it says 'not a valid block device' then either ide-cd isn't
loaded (likely) or he has a corrupt special file (unlikely).

--
Jens Axboe