* lilo and system maps?
@ 2003-12-04 17:53 Robert L. Harris
From: Robert L. Harris @ 2003-12-04 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Kernel

I'm messing around on one of my dev machines which has 4 possible
kernels installed.  2.4, 2.4-stable, 2.6, 2.6-stable (stable is the last
known good kernel).  I currently have my System.map files laid out as:

/boot/System.map-2.6.0-test11-bk2
/boot/System.map-2.6.0-test10-bk4
etc.

Would it be possible, necessary, sane to have a lilo.conf similar to
this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4
	label=current
	map=System.map-2.4
	read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.stable
	label=stable
	map=System.map-2.4.stable
	read-only
	optional

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6
	label=2.6
	map=System.map-2.6
	read-only
	optional

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.stable
	label=2.6-stable
	map=System.map-2.6.stable
	read-only
	optional

This way when I install a new kernel I can copy the System.map to
/boot/System.map-2.6 instead of keeping up with all the version numbers?
lilo doesn't seem to like the map= arguements.  Does the kernel need the
System.map in a single place, can it figure out where it's at for a
multiple config?

Robert

:wq!
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:

Life is not a destination, it's a journey.
  Microsoft produces 15 car pileups on the highway.
    Don't stop traffic to stand and gawk at the tragedy.

* Re: lilo and system maps?
@ 2003-12-04 18:09 ` Andre Tomt
From: Andre Tomt @ 2003-12-04 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert L. Harris; +Cc: Linux-Kernel

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:53, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I'm messing around on one of my dev machines which has 4 possible
> kernels installed.  2.4, 2.4-stable, 2.6, 2.6-stable (stable is the last
> known good kernel).  I currently have my System.map files laid out as:
>
> /boot/System.map-2.6.0-test11-bk2
> /boot/System.map-2.6.0-test10-bk4
> etc.
^^^

> This way when I install a new kernel I can copy the System.map to
> /boot/System.map-2.6 instead of keeping up with all the version numbers?
> lilo doesn't seem to like the map= arguements.  Does the kernel need the
> System.map in a single place, can it figure out where it's at for a
> multiple config?

Just stick with the System.map-$(uname -r) variant and it will just work
automaticly. map= in lilo is not for System.map's.

* Re: lilo and system maps?
@ 2003-12-04 18:15   ` Robert L. Harris
From: Robert L. Harris @ 2003-12-04 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andre Tomt; +Cc: Linux-Kernel

Thus spake Andre Tomt (lkml@tomt.net):

> On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 18:53, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> > I'm messing around on one of my dev machines which has 4 possible
> > kernels installed.  2.4, 2.4-stable, 2.6, 2.6-stable (stable is the last
> > known good kernel).  I currently have my System.map files laid out as:
> >
> > /boot/System.map-2.6.0-test11-bk2
> > /boot/System.map-2.6.0-test10-bk4
> > etc.
> ^^^
>
> > This way when I install a new kernel I can copy the System.map to
> > /boot/System.map-2.6 instead of keeping up with all the version numbers?
> > lilo doesn't seem to like the map= arguements.  Does the kernel need the
> > System.map in a single place, can it figure out where it's at for a
> > multiple config?
>
> Just stick with the System.map-$(uname -r) variant and it will just work
> automaticly. map= in lilo is not for System.map's.

Upon reading the man page on lilo.conf again I realized that was the
wrong map, but was hoping there was some notation that'd allow for maps
other than "/boot/System.map" for the multiple kernels.

Ok, I've tried rdev and file, is there a "cleaner" way of getting a
kernel version other than:

{0}:/usr/share/doc/lire>strings /boot/vmlinuz-2.6 | grep -i 2.[46] | head
2.6.0-test11-bk2 (root@wally) #3 SMP Thu Dec 4 12:41:42 EST 2003
M2#6gbQ+
{2 6B
.2'4]
AG2{6
b2)42
2y6&LD
2U6;
214<|7
2"6:

Yes it's functional, I can live with it, just wondering if theres a
"better" way for when I'm updating servers at work and have no idea what
kernels are in /boot on the machine (some have been up longer than the
year+ I've been here).

@ 2003-12-04 18:25 ` Maciej Zenczykowski
From: Maciej Zenczykowski @ 2003-12-04 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert L. Harris; +Cc: Linux-Kernel

If I'm not mistaken the map file specified in map= is -not- the System.map
file of the kernel, it's a lilo specific map file and has nothing to do
with System.map.  Indeed it'll probably overwrite the System.map file.
you don't want to specify map= anything other than /boot/map unless your
/boot directory is somewhere else.  As for system.map I have my boot
scripts deleting and symbolic linking /boot/System.map to
/boot/System.map-`uname -r` (these files actually exist) right after boot.
(not sure maybe this isalready done by the standard distribution of RH, I
do remember fooling around with it though...)

Cheers,
MaZe.

* Re: lilo and system maps?
@ 2003-12-04 18:41     ` Maciej Zenczykowski
From: Maciej Zenczykowski @ 2003-12-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert L. Harris; +Cc: Andre Tomt, Linux-Kernel

> {0}:/usr/share/doc/lire>strings /boot/vmlinuz-2.6 | grep -i 2.[46] | head
> 2.6.0-test11-bk2 (root@wally) #3 SMP Thu Dec 4 12:41:42 EST 2003
> M2#6gbQ+
> {2 6B

Of course the correct solution is to have the kernel version in the file
name...  and have linux-current or whatever as a symlink.  Besides truth
be told the kernel version is far too little to identify a kernel anyway,
there's also compilation options - they can change a lot - and all the
patches which were/are applied to it.  I keep System.map-`uname -r`,
vmlinuz-`uname -r`, .config-`uname -r`, descr-`uname -r` in my /boot dirs
- the first three come from the kernel and the last is a text file
containing notes about what patches were applied (I keep an up to date
descr file in each kernel source dir).

Cheers,
MaZe.

* Re: lilo and system maps?