* PROBLEM with intel gigabit ethernet driver bug
@ 2003-12-19  7:15 ewan paton
From: ewan paton @ 2003-12-19  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

i hate to bother you but i feel certain there is a
problem with the intel gigabit ehernet driver in the
2.6 kernel, i have an Intel Corp. 82544GC Gigabit
Ethernet Controller and run gentoo this driver works
fine with in 2.4 sources but i have tried multiple 2.6
sources and it just fails to bring the ethernet up. it
did used to work in older development releases but
when they went into the 2.6test phase.
i am sure it is present in kernels 2.6test6 to 2.6 but
cant remember the last one it worked with sorry
 if i can provide any config files etc i will gladly
send them and if this is a problem on my end i am very
sorry for wasting your time but i have spent over a
month trying to find a fix

thanks for all your fine work
Ewan Paton

* Re: PROBLEM with intel gigabit ethernet driver bug
@ 2003-12-19  7:20 ` bert hubert
From: bert hubert @ 2003-12-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ewan paton; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 07:15:39AM +0000, ewan paton wrote:
> fine with in 2.4 sources but i have tried multiple 2.6
> sources and it just fails to bring the ethernet up. it

This is very non-specific. Please read REPORTING-BUGS.

* Re: PROBLEM with intel gigabit ethernet driver bug
@ 2003-12-19 11:38 ` Zwane Mwaikambo
From: Zwane Mwaikambo @ 2003-12-19 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ewan paton; +Cc: Linux Kernel, netdev

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, [iso-8859-1] ewan paton wrote:

> i hate to bother you but i feel certain there is a
> problem with the intel gigabit ehernet driver in the
> 2.6 kernel, i have an Intel Corp. 82544GC Gigabit
> Ethernet Controller and run gentoo this driver works
> fine with in 2.4 sources but i have tried multiple 2.6
> sources and it just fails to bring the ethernet up. it
> did used to work in older development releases but
> when they went into the 2.6test phase.
> i am sure it is present in kernels 2.6test6 to 2.6 but
> cant remember the last one it worked with sorry
>  if i can provide any config files etc i will gladly
> send them and if this is a problem on my end i am very
> sorry for wasting your time but i have spent over a
> month trying to find a fix

Try sending in your .config and a bit more information like perhaps dmesg.
I just tested 2.6.0 with 82543GC, there might be slightly different code
paths in a few places but lets see what else you can dig up.

Thanks

* RE: PROBLEM with intel gigabit ethernet driver bug
       [not found] <C6F5CF431189FA4CBAEC9E7DD5441E0102CBDD6C@orsmsx402.jf.intel.com>
@ 2003-12-20 11:26 ` ewan paton
From: ewan paton @ 2003-12-20 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feldman, Scott; +Cc: linux-kernel

i am really sorry to have wasted anyones time but i
found when i moved
from 2.4 to 2.6 the network cards numbers got switched
around and the init
script wasn't bringing up the right card i'm not sure
why they switch
around and assume this is only a big problem to people
running gentoo

again a apologies for wasting peoples time
 regards
ewan paton