* 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-19  2:14 Steffen Schwientek
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Steffen Schwientek @ 2003-12-19  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly. Build direct into the
kernel, the monitor will be black with some stripes at startup, just the
reset button works.
Build as a modules, the same happens if I load the module.

The make xconfig script also advice me to compile some 8,16,24 and 32 bpp
packed pixel too, but I cant find them in the 2.6 kernel configuration

Steffen

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-19  8:30 ` Michael Hunold
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Hunold @ 2003-12-19  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Schwientek; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello Steffen,

> My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly. Build direct into the
> kernel, the monitor will be black with some stripes at startup, just the
> reset button works.
> Build as a modules, the same happens if I load the module.

All I can say is "me, too". 8-(

> Steffen

Can somebody definately say if "matroxfb" is working for 2.6? I haven't
tested it for a while, but I was surprised to find it non-working in 2.6...

CU
Michael.

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-19  8:47 ` Michael Hunold
From: Michael Hunold @ 2003-12-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Schwientek; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hello Steffen,

> My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly. Build direct into the
> kernel, the monitor will be black with some stripes at startup, just the
> reset button works.
> Build as a modules, the same happens if I load the module.

Hmm, I just tested with the 2.6.0 release and my both cards are working
properly now. The only thing is a huge white box around the penguin logo.

Here is "lspci -v" of the cards I tested:

00:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200 (rev
01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Subsystem: Matrox Graphics, Inc. Millennium G200 SD
	Memory at dd000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Memory at dfffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
	Expansion ROM at dffe0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP
(rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology GA-G400
	Memory at dc000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
	Memory at dfafc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Memory at df000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]
	Expansion ROM at dfae0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
	Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
	Capabilities: [f0] AGP version 2.0

> Steffen

CU
Michael.

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-19  9:41 ` Gábor Lénárt
From: Gábor Lénárt @ 2003-12-19  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Schwientek; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hmm, as I should have noticed, matrox framebuffer is totally UNUSABLE
with any 2.6.0-test kernels ;-( Several problems occured, like no
picture all, unstable picture, corruption on screen all the times, crashes,
etc. Both with G400 and G200. Everything works with 2.4.x kernel though.
This is the major point I can't upgrade to 2.6.0 ...
Maybe somebody try to port fb layer of 2.4.x to 2.6? I write this because
AFAIK in 2.6 there were a major rewrite of framebuffer support 'needed
for the embedded industry' (or something similar). As I've noticed,
somebody even thinks that framebuffer is only used for 'getting the
tux logo'. But I really need it, because of playing video on framebuffer
probably with multiple heads, hardware acceleration etc etc etc ...

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 03:14:13AM +0100, Steffen Schwientek wrote:
> My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly. Build direct into the
> kernel, the monitor will be black with some stripes at startup, just the
> reset button works.
> Build as a modules, the same happens if I load the module.
>
> The make xconfig script also advice me to compile some 8,16,24 and 32 bpp
> packed pixel too, but I cant find them in the 2.6 kernel configuration
>
> Steffen
> -

- Gábor (larta'H)

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-19 10:50   ` Helge Hafting
From: Helge Hafting @ 2003-12-19 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hunold; +Cc: Steffen Schwientek, linux-kernel

Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hello Steffen,
>
>> My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly. Build direct into the
>> kernel, the monitor will be black with some stripes at startup, just the
>> reset button works.
>> Build as a modules, the same happens if I load the module.
>

> All I can say is "me, too". 8-(
>
>> Steffen
>

> Can somebody definately say if "matroxfb" is working for 2.6? I haven't
> tested it for a while, but I was surprised to find it non-working in 2.6...

The matrox framebuffer works with 2.6.0-test11 and a matrox G550.
This is statically compiled, with smp and preempt.

It dies if I use fbcon + the ruby patch (for multiple keyboard support) though.
So something is wrong - this patch changes the console but not the fb driver
so it isn't supposed to crash.  I guess there's some problem with the driver
that gets triggered only in some circumstances.

Helge Hafting

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-12-19 16:28 ` nick black
From: nick black @ 2003-12-19 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <200312190314.13138.schwientek@web.de>, Steffen Schwientek wrote:
> My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly. Build direct into the
> kernel, the monitor will be black with some stripes at startup, just the
> reset button works.
> Build as a modules, the same happens if I load the module.

I've managed to get my AGP G400 working in the following setups under
2.6.0 since -test7:

with Petr's patch, reverting to 2.4 interfaces:
  video=matroxfb:vesa:0x1bb gives me a great fbcon.  I can either use
  X's fbdev driver at the same resolution, or the mga driver at any
  resolution, with no problems.

without Petr's patch:
  video=matroxfb:vesa:0x1bb gives me a great fbcon.  I can only use
  X's fbdev driver at the same resolution; the mga driver at any
  resolution causes massive console corruption upon switching from X to
  console and causing any screen changes.  Also, I get a large white
  block underneath the logo on boot.

--
nick black <dank@reflexsecurity.com>
"np:  nondeterministic polynomial-time

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-19 16:29   ` nick black
From: nick black @ 2003-12-19 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <3FE2BB05.1000107@convergence.de>, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hmm, I just tested with the 2.6.0 release and my both cards are working
> properly now. The only thing is a huge white box around the penguin logo.

As I said, this happens to me without Petr's patch, and goes away with
it.  Can you check out my earlier post in this thread, and analyze your
X+fbcon interaction with reagrds to fbdev vs. mga driver, and Petr's
patch?

--

@ 2003-12-19 21:37   ` Tomasz Torcz
From: Tomasz Torcz @ 2003-12-19 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:30:15AM +0100, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Can somebody definately say if "matroxfb" is working for 2.6? I haven't
> tested it for a while, but I was surprised to find it non-working in 2.6...

 Not working for me. G550 driving Samsung SyncMaster 171s (LCD).
It locked system several times in the past when switching between XFree
and fb console.
 I was told to use exact resolution and color depth wi fbcon and X.
In my case, it's 1280x1024-16bpp. It is working great in X, but
fbcon do not work - all I get is a black screen and lock when
I try to blinfly run XFree.

--
Tomasz Torcz            There exists no separation between gods and men:
zdzichu@irc.-nie.spam-.pl   one blends softly casual into the other.

@ 2003-12-20  7:36     ` Ed Sweetman
From: Ed Sweetman @ 2003-12-20  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomasz Torcz; +Cc: linux-kernel

Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:30:15AM +0100, Michael Hunold wrote:
>
>>Can somebody definately say if "matroxfb" is working for 2.6? I haven't
>>tested it for a while, but I was surprised to find it non-working in 2.6...
>

>  Not working for me. G550 driving Samsung SyncMaster 171s (LCD).
> It locked system several times in the past when switching between XFree
> and fb console.
>  I was told to use exact resolution and color depth wi fbcon and X.
> In my case, it's 1280x1024-16bpp. It is working great in X, but
> fbcon do not work - all I get is a black screen and lock when
> I try to blinfly run XFree.

last time i tried it (-test7 or so) it worked. your normal fbcon and
what not drivers do not work. They haven't been updated to handle the
new fb code. You'll need to do all your configuring via kernel or module
  Also, i never got a non-blank console when using matroxfb... once it
loaded i always had to blindly move around and start X and what not.

But, what's really the point in using X with matroxfb? You lose half
your memory off the bat that X cannot access and you get no added
performance or anything.  It really does not seem worth it.  Use
matroxfb if you need to do fb stuff in a console without X.  Otherwise,
stick to just plain console and X and forget about matroxfb.

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-20 21:58       ` Helge Hafting
From: Helge Hafting @ 2003-12-20 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Sweetman; +Cc: Tomasz Torcz, linux-kernel

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:36:49AM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:

> But, what's really the point in using X with matroxfb?
In my case, the point is to run two instances of X, one on each
of the two framebuffers.  I can then have two simultaneous users,
each using one of the two framebuffers.  Two pc's in one!

> You lose half
> your memory off the bat that X cannot access and you get no added
> performance or anything.
Another X accesses the other memory :-)

> It really does not seem worth it.  Use
> matroxfb if you need to do fb stuff in a console without X.  Otherwise,
> stick to just plain console and X and forget about matroxfb.

Sure - for single-user setups.

Helge Hafting

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-21 17:51   ` Gábor Lénárt
From: Gábor Lénárt @ 2003-12-21 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 04:28:01PM +0000, nick black wrote:
> In article <200312190314.13138.schwientek@web.de>, Steffen Schwientek wrote:
> > My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly. Build direct into the
> > kernel, the monitor will be black with some stripes at startup, just the
> > reset button works.
> > Build as a modules, the same happens if I load the module.
>
> I've managed to get my AGP G400 working in the following setups under
> 2.6.0 since -test7:
>
> with Petr's patch, reverting to 2.4 interfaces:
>   video=matroxfb:vesa:0x1bb gives me a great fbcon.  I can either use
>   X's fbdev driver at the same resolution, or the mga driver at any
>   resolution, with no problems.
>
> without Petr's patch:
>   video=matroxfb:vesa:0x1bb gives me a great fbcon.  I can only use
>   X's fbdev driver at the same resolution; the mga driver at any
>   resolution causes massive console corruption upon switching from X to
>   console and causing any screen changes.  Also, I get a large white
>   block underneath the logo on boot.

Nice. :-) and :-(
With that patch, now I'm happy user of 2.6.0 ;-)
[I was that since 2.6.0-test1, but only on one machine of mine, where fb
 was not important at all]

My only question is: why was fb layer modofied to a state which is UNUSABLE
without a patch which reverts to the 2.4 interface? I'm trying to search
archives and various document, and now I've got the feeling that several
author thinks fbcon only a toy and its ONLY purpose to get the tux logo
on booting. Which is completly false of course ;-(

SORRY (!) if I missunderstood something ...
Or at least please give me some points what is the advantage of the
framebuffer in the state it exists in the official 2.6.0 if it is unusable.
Or maybe I've missed something. My only headache that I would like know
what is the goal with fb in 2.6.x then?

And again: sorry, I would not like to be offensive or something, but I'm
really interested in this topic!

- Gábor (larta'H)

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-21 18:22       ` Tomasz Torcz
From: Tomasz Torcz @ 2003-12-21 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 02:36:49AM -0500, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> But, what's really the point in using X with matroxfb? You lose half
> your memory off the bat that X cannot access and you get no added
> performance or anything.  It really does not seem worth it.  Use

 32 MiB of videoram is more than enough.
And the point is: comfortable work in console (bigger resolution ->
more information on screen), sometimes even with small fbtv window
in corner. And ability to run browsers like mozilla in X, when
it's needed. And ability to watch movies with mplayer in both.

 I don't understand why matroxfb has regressed in 2.6 compared to 2.4.

--
Tomasz Torcz               RIP is irrevelant. Spoofing is futile.
zdzichu@irc.-nie.spam-.pl     Your routes will be aggreggated. -- Alex Yuriev

@ 2003-12-19 18:50 Petr Vandrovec
From: Petr Vandrovec @ 2003-12-19 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nick black; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 19 Dec 03 at 16:29, nick black wrote:
> In article <3FE2BB05.1000107@convergence.de>, Michael Hunold wrote:
> > Hmm, I just tested with the 2.6.0 release and my both cards are working
> > properly now. The only thing is a huge white box around the penguin logo.
>
> As I said, this happens to me without Petr's patch, and goes away with
> it.  Can you check out my earlier post in this thread, and analyze your
> X+fbcon interaction with reagrds to fbdev vs. mga driver, and Petr's
> patch?

I think that it works due to pure luck. XFree's mga driver reprograms
some accelerator registers (namely color depth and horizontal line length)
under some circumstances (like when gnome's clock applet in right upper
corner changes value - i.e. every second or every minute depending on
setting when DRI is enabled) even if XFree are not on foreground.  This
causes serious problems, as then you are running console at (say) 640x480/8bpp,
but accelerator gets set to 1280x1024/32bpp, painting 16x larger characters
to screen :-(

I know only three workarounds: either do not use DRI, or disable use of
accelerator on console (fbset -accel false), or use same vxres and depth
on console and in X (or fourth: fix XFree driver to not touch hardware
when they are not on foreground...).
                                                Petr Vandrovec
                                                vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

* Re: 2.6-test11 framebuffer Matrox
@ 2003-12-19  8:54 rwhron
From: rwhron @ 2003-12-19  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hunold, schwientek; +Cc: linux-kernel

> My Matrox-framebuffer is not working properly.

ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb-2.6.0-test7.gz
applies to 2.6.0 cleanly and works beautifully with my G400.  You have
to change your video=matrox boot command to video=matroxfb for 2.6.
--
Randy Hron
http://home.earthlink.net/~rwhron/kernel/bigbox.html