* parkbd adapter
@ 2004-01-16 20:01 Evaldo Gardenali
From: Evaldo Gardenali @ 2004-01-16 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: parkbd adapter
@ 2004-01-16 21:30 ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2004-01-16 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evaldo Gardenali; +Cc: linux-kernel, vojtech

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:01:16 -0200 Evaldo Gardenali <evaldo@gardenali.biz> wrote:

| Hi
| I've been trying to find the schematics or any documentation on building
| the parallel port to aux adapter (used by parkbd.o) so that one can plug
| a keyboard to the parallel port, and all I can find is a page saying
| 'schematics will follow sometime later' and a page referenced everywhere
| that doesnt exist anymore (http://www.suse.cz/development/input/).
| Would someone please send me any useful data/link?
| (I tried emailing Mr. Vojtech Pavlik a long time ago, but I got no reply)

The web page that you mentioned is now at
  http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~vojtech/input/
or
  http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/input/input.html
However, the parkbd reference isn't there.

Google for "parkbd +adapter" and you can find it.
parkbd adapter is mentioned here
  <http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/input/adapters.html>
but not presented...

--
~Randy
Everything is relative.

* Re: parkbd adapter
@ 2004-01-21 11:22   ` Evaldo Gardenali
From: Evaldo Gardenali @ 2004-01-21 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, rddunlap, vojtech

* Re: parkbd adapter
@ 2004-01-21 12:28     ` Vojtech Pavlik
From: Vojtech Pavlik @ 2004-01-21 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evaldo Gardenali; +Cc: linux-kernel, rddunlap

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 09:22:34AM -0200, Evaldo Gardenali wrote:

> I *KNOW* how to google...
> I actually just needeed *DOCUMENTATION* I can't find anywhere, and the
> author seems to ignore my mails (or it goes to spam trash, or whatever
> happens, the thing is I don't get a reply)
> I wonder how useful is a piece of code present in millions of boxes if
> virtually NOBODY knows how to use it. and it annoys me a bit that many
> requested features are out of the kernel, but a feature that is in the
> main tree is virtually useless (if its really useful, where's the link
> for the docs?)
> </rant>
> sorry, but I feel frustrated with that

Your mail is still hanging in my inbox, and unfortunately I don't have
the complete schematic for the parkbd adapter anywhere near me.

I was hoping I could find it, but I suppose the following might be
enough for you to build the adapter:

It's really simple, just two diodes and two resistors in this
arrangement:

            ______
+5V -------|______|--.

INPUT PIN -----------|
		     |--- KBD PIN
OUTPUT PIN ---|<|----'

Now for KBD CLOCK you use STROBE and ACK pins on the parallel port and
for KBD DATA you use AUTOFD and BUSY pins on the parallel port. I don't
remember the value of the resistor used, but something like 5k should
work OK. It's not completely necessary anyway.

And then you'll also have to connect the keyboard +5V and GND pins. For
+5V you can either use the real keyboard or mouse connectors, get +5V
from the joystick connector or from an external power supply.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR