* Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 11:10 Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2004-02-24 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I can't find any readme in the Documentation folder about this, and I remember
the original 'promise drivers goes gpl' thread degenerating into a license
discussion.

I've got a 378 s150 tx chipset with their fasttrak raid bios. How should I
configure the drives to use with the 2.6.3 kernel promise SATA driver? Can I
configure them as a raid array?

TIA

Andrew Walrond

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 15:21 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-02-24 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Walrond; +Cc: linux-kernel

Andrew Walrond wrote:
> I've got a 378 s150 tx chipset with their fasttrak raid bios. How should I
> configure the drives to use with the 2.6.3 kernel promise SATA driver? Can I
> configure them as a raid array?

The 2.6.3 sata_promise driver ignores any RAID configuration you set up,
and directly talks to the drives.

	Jeff

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 15:44   ` Pekka Pietikainen
From: Pekka Pietikainen @ 2004-02-24 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: Andrew Walrond, linux-kernel

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:21:23AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Andrew Walrond wrote:
> >I've got a 378 s150 tx chipset with their fasttrak raid bios. How should I
> >configure the drives to use with the 2.6.3 kernel promise SATA driver? Can
> >I configure them as a raid array?
>
> The 2.6.3 sata_promise driver ignores any RAID configuration you set up,
> and directly talks to the drives.
To boot off one you might have to setup a RAID configuration in the
card BIOS though (Which is why I have a single drive configured as a raid0 :-) )

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 15:55     ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-02-24 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pekka Pietikainen; +Cc: Andrew Walrond, linux-kernel

Pekka Pietikainen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:21:23AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>Andrew Walrond wrote:
>>
>>>I've got a 378 s150 tx chipset with their fasttrak raid bios. How should I
>>>configure the drives to use with the 2.6.3 kernel promise SATA driver? Can
>>>I configure them as a raid array?
>>
>>The 2.6.3 sata_promise driver ignores any RAID configuration you set up,
>>and directly talks to the drives.
>
> To boot off one you might have to setup a RAID configuration in the
> card BIOS though (Which is why I have a single drive configured as a raid0 :-) )

Hum, the BIOS works fine here with no arrays defined...

	Jeff

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 16:30       ` Andrew Walrond
From: Andrew Walrond @ 2004-02-24 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel

I take it the software raid thing wasn't part of the gpl'ed driver, and isn't
something that is likely to happen?

Andrew Walrond

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 16:47         ` Jeff Garzik
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-02-24 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Walrond; +Cc: linux-kernel

Andrew Walrond wrote:
> I take it the software raid thing wasn't part of the gpl'ed driver, and isn't
> something that is likely to happen?

In 2.4, RAID0 and RAID1 are supported via the pdcraid driver.

In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist.  In conversations
with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support the standard Linux
RAID, md.

	Jeff

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 17:00           ` Henrik Gustafsson
       [not found]           ` <mit.lcs.mail.linux-kernel/403B8028.1060700@pobox.com>
From: Henrik Gustafsson @ 2004-02-24 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:47:36 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:

> Andrew Walrond wrote:
>> I take it the software raid thing wasn't part of the gpl'ed driver, and
>> isn't something that is likely to happen?
>

> In 2.4, RAID0 and RAID1 are supported via the pdcraid driver.
>
> In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist.  In conversations
> with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support the standard Linux
> RAID, md.
>
> 	Jeff

Does that apply to the FastTrack S150 SX4 aswell? The hardware XOR-engine
will not be used?
What about the onboard cache?

// Henrik Gustafsson

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 17:10             ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-02-24 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Gustafsson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Henrik Gustafsson wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:47:36 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Walrond wrote:
>>
>>> I take it the software raid thing wasn't part of the gpl'ed driver,
>>> and isn't something that is likely to happen?
>>

>> In 2.4, RAID0 and RAID1 are supported via the pdcraid driver.
>>
>> In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist.  In
>> conversations with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support the
>> standard Linux RAID, md.
>>
>>     Jeff
>

> Does that apply to the FastTrack S150 SX4 aswell? The hardware
> XOR-engine will not be used?
> What about the onboard cache?

I'm glad you asked.

The SX4 is a very different story.  The hardware XOR engine and on-board
cache are not currently used, but they will be in the future.

For the TX series, there is no on-board cache, so hardware XOR engine
isn't very useful.  For the SX series, it is very useful.

Promise did some neat stuff with the SX4...  so neat it takes some
thinking to figure out how to best implement it in Linux :)

	Jeff

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 17:31               ` Henrik Gustafsson
From: Henrik Gustafsson @ 2004-02-24 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:10:31 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:

> Henrik Gustafsson wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:47:36 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
>> wrote:

>>> In 2.4, RAID0 and RAID1 are supported via the pdcraid driver.
>>>
>>> In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist.  In
>>> conversations with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support the
>>> standard Linux RAID, md.
>>>
>>>     Jeff
>>

>> Does that apply to the FastTrack S150 SX4 aswell? The hardware
>> XOR-engine will not be used?
>> What about the onboard cache?
>

> I'm glad you asked.
>
> The SX4 is a very different story.  The hardware XOR engine and on-board
> cache are not currently used, but they will be in the future.
>
> For the TX series, there is no on-board cache, so hardware XOR engine
> isn't very useful.  For the SX series, it is very useful.
>
> Promise did some neat stuff with the SX4...  so neat it takes some
> thinking to figure out how to best implement it in Linux :)
>
> 	Jeff

I'm glad for that particular response :)

I happen to have such a card in a computer here. Right now it's not used
for anything in particular (waiting for things to stabilising a bit) so
I can test out patches without worrying about any data on it, so feel
free to suggest things to try.

Is there any active development done on it?

My current working conditions (and lack of specs for the card) prevents me
 from doing much work on it myself atm, but is there perhaps another way of
following the development on that part a bit more closely?

I have done my (small, but still... :) ) share of driver development and
low-level coding (company I work for makes me write code for their embedded
devices and sometimes drivers for the PC-interfaces) so I might just be
able to pitch in with an idea or two.

// Henrik Gustafsson

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 18:15                 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-02-24 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henrik Gustafsson; +Cc: linux-kernel

Henrik Gustafsson wrote:
> I happen to have such a card in a computer here. Right now it's not used
> for anything in particular (waiting for things to stabilising a bit) so
> I can test out patches without worrying about any data on it, so feel
> free to suggest things to try.
>
> Is there any active development done on it?

Well, the basic SX4 SATA driver is pretty much done.  There is one
bugfix I need to merge for PCI-X, but that's it.

Unfortunately, it is a bit slower than average since every request must
bounce through RAM first, with no queueing.

Using the on-board DIMM as a write-through cache would boost performance
significantly.

> My current working conditions (and lack of specs for the card) prevents me
> from doing much work on it myself atm, but is there perhaps another way of
> following the development on that part a bit more closely?
>
> I have done my (small, but still... :) ) share of driver development and
> low-level coding (company I work for makes me write code for their embedded
> devices and sometimes drivers for the PC-interfaces) so I might just be
> able to pitch in with an idea or two.

Well, the specs are under NDA but are available from Promise.

However...  if you want to tackle creating the write-through cache, that
shouldn't require any specs at all.  If you are knowledgeable enough to
create generic write-through cache code for an ATA drive, that's
sufficient :)

	Jeff

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-24 22:37           ` Miquel van Smoorenburg
       [not found]           ` <mit.lcs.mail.linux-kernel/403B8028.1060700@pobox.com>
From: Miquel van Smoorenburg @ 2004-02-24 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

In article <403B8028.1060700@pobox.com>,
Jeff Garzik  <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
>Andrew Walrond wrote:
>> I take it the software raid thing wasn't part of the gpl'ed driver, and isn't
>> something that is likely to happen?
>

>In 2.4, RAID0 and RAID1 are supported via the pdcraid driver.

I looked at those drivers, but they don't support error recovery
in RAID1 mode of any kind. It's just "read from one drive,
write to both" but if one disk goes south you're SOL.

Just FYI ;)

Mike.

* Re: Promise SATA driver
       [not found]           ` <mit.lcs.mail.linux-kernel/403B8028.1060700@pobox.com>
@ 2004-02-26  4:06             ` Patrick J. LoPresti
From: Patrick J. LoPresti @ 2004-02-26  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-kernel

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:

> In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist.  In
> conversations with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support
> the standard Linux RAID, md.

Does this mean a dual-boot Linux/Windows system cannot use a Promise
RAID?

 - Pat

* Re: Promise SATA driver
@ 2004-02-26  4:17               ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-02-26  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick J. LoPresti; +Cc: linux-kernel

Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> writes:
>

>>In 2.6, Promise software RAID support does not exist.  In
>>conversations with Promise, we all agreed to encourage and support
>>the standard Linux RAID, md.
>

> Does this mean a dual-boot Linux/Windows system cannot use a Promise
> RAID?

In 2.4, you can use pdcraid driver.

In 2.6, correct, there is no Promise RAID driver.

	Jeff

* Re: promise SATA driver
@ 2003-06-11 15:05 ` David van Hoose
From: David van Hoose @ 2003-06-11 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Sabban; +Cc: linux-kernel

Manuel Sabban wrote:
> I know some people hove spoken about this several months ago. I would
> just only know if some work has been achieved since. I've a pdc20376
> and I would know, if I could make it work with SATA drives. I am not
> interested by binary drivers provided on Promise's website.
> If there's something to test, I would be happy to do so.

The binary drivers on Promise's website are not for the ASIC solutions
from what I've gathered. The supported controllers are:
pdc20318
pdc20375
pdc20618

The 376 isn't listed, and I can't get it to show up when I install any
and all of their drivers. If I am wrong, then maybe someone could help
me here. :-)

-David

* promise SATA driver
@ 2003-06-11  9:49 Manuel Sabban
From: Manuel Sabban @ 2003-06-11  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

--
Love is an ancient force, one that served its purpose in its day but is no
longer essential for the survival of the species.

  -- Bene Gesserit Axiom