* Remove kernel features (for embedded systems)
@ 2004-03-18 13:06 Felix von Leitner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Felix von Leitner @ 2004-03-18 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I propose to add the following kernel features to the removables:

  * /dev/kmem and /proc/kcore
  * core dumping
  * ptrace

And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
the IP stack, e.g. routing.  In particular, I would like to be able to
remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
of view.

Removing ptrace and kmem is mostly for security reasons, but being able
to remove them makes sense in embedded environments as well.

Felix

* Re: Remove kernel features (for embedded systems)
@ 2004-03-18 13:11 ` John Bradford
From: John Bradford @ 2004-03-18 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix von Leitner, linux-kernel

> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> the IP stack, e.g. routing.  In particular, I would like to be able to
> remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> of view.

Why not just write your own IP stack in userspace, if you're doing a
heavily embedded system?

John,

* Re: Remove kernel features (for embedded systems)
@ 2004-03-18 13:29   ` Felix von Leitner
From: Felix von Leitner @ 2004-03-18 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: linux-kernel

Thus spake John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com):
> > And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> > the IP stack, e.g. routing.  In particular, I would like to be able to
> > remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> > of view.
> Why not just write your own IP stack in userspace, if you're doing a
> heavily embedded system?

People use Linux _because_ of the IP stack.
They just normally don't need all of it.
And I propose to let them remove the parts they don't need.

@ 2004-03-18 13:39 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2004-03-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix von Leitner; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:06:40PM +0100, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> I propose to add the following kernel features to the removables:
>
>   * /dev/kmem and /proc/kcore
>   * core dumping
>   * ptrace
>
> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> the IP stack, e.g. routing.  In particular, I would like to be able to
> remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> of view.
>
> Removing ptrace and kmem is mostly for security reasons, but being able
> to remove them makes sense in embedded environments as well.

Fien with me.  Where are the patches? :)

* Re: Remove kernel features (for embedded systems)
@ 2004-03-19 19:11 ` Matt Mackall
From: Matt Mackall @ 2004-03-19 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix von Leitner; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:06:40PM +0100, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> I propose to add the following kernel features to the removables:
>
>   * /dev/kmem and /proc/kcore
>   * core dumping
>   * ptrace

These are all in 2.6-tiny already: http://selenic.com/tiny-about/

It's on my list of things to push to mainline.

> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> the IP stack, e.g. routing.  In particular, I would like to be able to
> remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> of view.

I've done small parts of this too.

--
Matt Mackall : http://www.selenic.com : Linux development and consulting

* Re: Remove kernel features (for embedded systems)
       [not found] <369036857@toto.iv>
@ 2004-03-18 22:15 ` Peter Chubb
From: Peter Chubb @ 2004-03-18 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Bradford; +Cc: Felix von Leitner, linux-kernel

>> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove
>> parts of the IP stack, e.g. routing.  In particular, I would like
>> to be able to remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from
>> the code size point of view.

John> Why not just write your own IP stack in userspace, if you're
John> doing a heavily embedded system?

You mean, like http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip/ ??

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*