* GPL question
@ 2004-06-28 22:13 ca_tex-kernel
From: ca_tex-kernel @ 2004-06-28 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hopefully this is not going to start a huge thread war on open source
philosophy and such, but the company I work for has some proprietary code built
as a 2.4 linux kernel module for a product they sell.  They are concerned about
releasing the source code.  I noticed that what this code does and how it does
it seems pretty clean (at least GPL-wise), but it does modify sys_call_table to
add a system call which is then used to call the module from userland.  Can
they avoid releasing this code or is this crossing into a gray area?  I used to
think I more or less understood the basics of the GPL, but after talking to
their lawyers I am totally confused.  Thanks.

=====
Jarrett L. Redd (K9HMV)

* GPL Question
@ 2000-10-27 16:36 Jason Wohlgemuth
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jason Wohlgemuth @ 2000-10-27 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Consider this:

A subsystem that is statically built into the Linux Kernel is modified
to allow the registration of a structure containing function pointers.

The function pointers corrolate to a set of functions within that subsystem.
If the new structure of pointers has been registered, the original
functions will call the new functions in the structure passing all
arguments and returning the return value of the new function.

With this said, if no structure has been registered, then no
functionality is degraded within the kernel.  Only the loss of some cpu
time to check the pointers at the top of the old functions.

Now, if a module is loaded that registers a set of functions that have
increased functionality compared to the original functions, if that
modules is not based off GPL'd code, must the source code of that module
be released under the GPL?

Thanks in advance,
Jason Wohlgemuth

-