* CPU Context corruption
@ 2004-09-11 11:19 Nigel Kukard
From: Nigel Kukard @ 2004-09-11 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

What does this error mean?

CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
Bank 0: 820000001040080F

I have a Matsonic 9097c motherboard, 2.4Ghz prescott celeron cpu. This
error seems to be random. We have replaced the motherboard & cpu to no
avail.

-Nigel

* Re: CPU Context corruption
@ 2004-09-11 12:40 ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2004-09-11 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sad, 2004-09-11 at 12:19, Nigel Kukard wrote:
> What does this error mean?
>

> CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> Bank 0: 820000001040080F
>

> I have a Matsonic 9097c motherboard, 2.4Ghz prescott celeron cpu. This
> error seems to be random. We have replaced the motherboard & cpu to no
> avail.

It normally indicates a hardware problem. The precise meaning of all the
bits is in the Intel chip docs (volume 3). If you've swapped the
mainboard/cpu it might just be bad RAM.

* Re: CPU Context corruption
@ 2004-09-12  6:36   ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2004-09-12  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 01:40:55PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sad, 2004-09-11 at 12:19, Nigel Kukard wrote:
> > What does this error mean?
> >

> > CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 0000000000000004
> > Bank 0: 820000001040080F
> >

> > I have a Matsonic 9097c motherboard, 2.4Ghz prescott celeron cpu. This
> > error seems to be random. We have replaced the motherboard & cpu to no
> > avail.
>
> It normally indicates a hardware problem. The precise meaning of all the
> bits is in the Intel chip docs (volume 3). If you've swapped the
> mainboard/cpu it might just be bad RAM.

He can also get precise info with Dave Jones' parsemce tool :

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/davej/tools/

It currently says :

	Restart IP invalid.
	parsebank(0): 820000001040080f @ 0
		External tag parity error
		CPU state corrupt. Restart not possible
		Bus and interconnect error
		Participation: Local processor originated request
		Timeout: Request did not timeout
		Request: Generic error
		Transaction type : Invalid
		Memory/IO : Other

Since it says it's neither memory nor I/O, I think it might be related to
a PCI parity error with some card, either during transfers or config access.

Regards,
Willy

* Re: CPU Context corruption
@ 2004-09-12  7:57     ` Nigel Kukard