* 2.6.9-rc2 and Hyperthreading. (SMT)
@ 2004-09-14  0:27 hotdog day
From: hotdog day @ 2004-09-14  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have been testing the 2.6.9-rc1, and 2.6.9-rc2 kernel patches over
the past couple days and have been having some issues with
hyperthreading (SMT) turned on.

This problem first exhibited itself when I was testing
2.6.9-rc2-mm2-love2. I noticed the following quirks that ONLY show
themselves with hyperthreading enabled on my 3.0C Pentium 4.

Random HARD LOCKS. No messages from the kernel. Just a good swift hard lock.

Hard locks when mounting two cdrom drives in quick succession.

Turning off hyperthreading solves these issues.  Going back to 2.6.8.1
solves these issues.

I then tried 2.6.9-rc1 with no mm or love patches. I had the exact same issues.

Today I downloaded the prepatch to 2.6.9-rc2 and applied it to clean
2.6.8 source. The issues are still there.

I hope someone is paying attention to the way scheduler tweaks and
changes are affecting SMT enabled kernels. I don't think anyone wants
to disable features of their hardware in order to run an optimized
scheduler.

* Re: 2.6.9-rc2 and Hyperthreading. (SMT)
@ 2004-09-14  2:07 ` Nick Piggin
From: Nick Piggin @ 2004-09-14  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hotdog day; +Cc: linux-kernel

hotdog day wrote:
> I have been testing the 2.6.9-rc1, and 2.6.9-rc2 kernel patches over
> the past couple days and have been having some issues with
> hyperthreading (SMT) turned on.
>
> This problem first exhibited itself when I was testing
> 2.6.9-rc2-mm2-love2. I noticed the following quirks that ONLY show
> themselves with hyperthreading enabled on my 3.0C Pentium 4.
>
> Random HARD LOCKS. No messages from the kernel. Just a good swift hard lock.
>
> Hard locks when mounting two cdrom drives in quick succession.
>
> Turning off hyperthreading solves these issues.  Going back to 2.6.8.1
> solves these issues.
>
> I then tried 2.6.9-rc1 with no mm or love patches. I had the exact same issues.
>
> Today I downloaded the prepatch to 2.6.9-rc2 and applied it to clean
> 2.6.8 source. The issues are still there.
>
> I hope someone is paying attention to the way scheduler tweaks and
> changes are affecting SMT enabled kernels. I don't think anyone wants
> to disable features of their hardware in order to run an optimized
> scheduler.

Try turning off CONFIG_SCHED_SMT and see how you go. Thanks.

* Re: 2.6.9-rc2 and Hyperthreading. (SMT)
@ 2004-09-14  4:21   ` hotdog day
       [not found]     ` <7798951e04091322402fe830ff@mail.gmail.com>
From: hotdog day @ 2004-09-14  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Piggin; +Cc: linux-kernel

Turning off CONFIG_SCHED_SMT has apparently fixed the issue.

Three Q's:

1) Am I taking some kind of performance hit by doing this?

2) Is this something we can look forward to seeing fixed?

3) Do you need any info from me to help you?

Thanks,

Troy McFerron

@ 2004-09-14  5:44       ` hotdog day
From: hotdog day @ 2004-09-14  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Does anyone have any other suggestions on this issue? I know others
who are experincing the same thing.

@ 2004-09-15  1:11         ` Darren Williams
From: Darren Williams @ 2004-09-15  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hotdog day; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, hotdog day wrote:

> Does anyone have any other suggestions on this issue? I know others
> who are experincing the same thing.
>

> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:40:57 -0500, hotdog day <hotdogday@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Actually, it just hardlocked again. Is there anything else that could
> > be done, or am I stuck without SMP?
> >

> > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:21:05 -0500, hotdog day <hotdogday@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Turning off CONFIG_SCHED_SMT has apparently fixed the issue.
> > >
> > > Three Q's:
> > >
> > > 1) Am I taking some kind of performance hit by doing this?
> > >
> > > 2) Is this something we can look forward to seeing fixed?
> > >
> > > 3) Do you need any info from me to help you?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Troy McFerron

I have tested 2.6.9-rc2 on a 3.0 Ghz HT and all seams OK, results of LTP
message, and meminfo at:
http://quasar.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dsw/public-files/x86

Not extensive though no lockups and left running overnight.

I'll try this tonight.

> -
Darren Williams <dsw AT gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Gelato@UNSW <www.gelato.unsw.edu.au>

* Re: 2.6.9-rc2 and Hyperthreading. (SMT)
@ 2004-09-15  6:09           ` Troy McFerrron
From: Troy McFerrron @ 2004-09-15  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: dsw

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:11:14 +1000, Darren Williams
<dsw@gelato.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, hotdog day wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any other suggestions on this issue? I know others
> > who are experincing the same thing.
> >

> > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:40:57 -0500, hotdog day <hotdogday@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Actually, it just hardlocked again. Is there anything else that could
> > > be done, or am I stuck without SMP?

> I have tested 2.6.9-rc2 on a 3.0 Ghz HT and all seams OK, results of LTP
> message, and meminfo at:
> http://quasar.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dsw/public-files/x86
>
> Not extensive though no lockups and left running overnight.

> I'll try this tonight.

> > -
> > Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> Darren Williams <dsw AT gelato.unsw.edu.au>
> Gelato@UNSW <www.gelato.unsw.edu.au>

Well, I took your suggestion Nick. I cnanot recreate the lockup when I
am not running X. It happens with both the fglrx module AND the radeon
module.

Darren, could you send me your kernel .config so I can do a diff and
see what you might be doing differently?

--
Troy McFerron
Kernel Ricer and Linux Hobbyist Extrodinaire.

* Re: 2.6.9-rc2 and Hyperthreading. (SMT)
@ 2004-09-15 10:10             ` Darren Williams
From: Darren Williams @ 2004-09-15 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Troy McFerrron; +Cc: linux-kernel, dsw

Hi Troy

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Troy McFerrron wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:11:14 +1000, Darren Williams
> <dsw@gelato.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, hotdog day wrote:
> >

> Well, I took your suggestion Nick. I cnanot recreate the lockup when I
> am not running X. It happens with both the fglrx module AND the radeon
> module.

So my tests have been without X so I will rerun with X on.

> Darren, could you send me your kernel .config so I can do a diff and
> see what you might be doing differently?
>
> --
> Troy McFerron
> Kernel Ricer and Linux Hobbyist Extrodinaire.
If it is not shown in the config it was not set.

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.9-rc2
# Wed Sep 15 19:40:53 2004
#
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_MMU=y
CONFIG_UID16=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_ISA_DMA=y
CONFIG_GENERIC_IOMAP=y

#
# Code maturity level options
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_CLEAN_COMPILE=y

#
# General setup
#
CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
CONFIG_SWAP=y
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_POSIX_MQUEUE=y
CONFIG_SYSCTL=y
CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=15
CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y
CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y
CONFIG_KALLSYMS=y
CONFIG_FUTEX=y
CONFIG_EPOLL=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_NOOP=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_AS=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_DEADLINE=y
CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
CONFIG_SHMEM=y

#
# Loadable module support
#
# CONFIG_MODULES is not set

#
# Processor type and features
#
CONFIG_X86_PC=y
CONFIG_MPENTIUM4=y
CONFIG_X86_CMPXCHG=y
CONFIG_X86_XADD=y
CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7
CONFIG_RWSEM_XCHGADD_ALGORITHM=y
CONFIG_X86_WP_WORKS_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_INVLPG=y
CONFIG_X86_BSWAP=y
CONFIG_X86_POPAD_OK=y
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
CONFIG_SMP=y
CONFIG_NR_CPUS=2
CONFIG_SCHED_SMT=y
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_IO_APIC=y
CONFIG_X86_TSC=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_NONFATAL=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_P4THERMAL=y
CONFIG_X86_CPUID=y

#
# Firmware Drivers
#
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_HIGHPTE=y
CONFIG_MTRR=y
CONFIG_IRQBALANCE=y
CONFIG_HAVE_DEC_LOCK=y

#
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
#
CONFIG_PM=y

#
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
#
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y

#
# APM (Advanced Power Management) BIOS Support
#
# CONFIG_APM is not set

#
# CPU Frequency scaling
#
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=y
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=y

#
# CPUFreq processor drivers
#
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=y
CONFIG_X86_P4_CLOCKMOD=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_LIB=y

#
# Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA)
#
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_PCI_GOANY=y
CONFIG_PCI_BIOS=y
CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT=y
CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG=y
CONFIG_PCI_LEGACY_PROC=y
CONFIG_PCI_NAMES=y
CONFIG_ISA=y

#
# PCMCIA/CardBus support
#
CONFIG_PCMCIA_PROBE=y

#
# PCI Hotplug Support
#

#
# Executable file formats
#
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y

#
# Device Drivers
#

#
# Generic Driver Options
#
CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y

#
# Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
#

#
# Parallel port support
#
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y

#
# Plug and Play support
#
CONFIG_PNP=y

#
# Protocols
#
CONFIG_ISAPNP=y

#
# Block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y

#
# ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
#
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y

#
# Please see Documentation/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y
CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_IDE_TASKFILE_IO=y

#
# IDE chipset support/bugfixes
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_SHARE_IRQ=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_ADMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y

#
# SCSI device support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=y

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y

#
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
#
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y

#
# SCSI Transport Attributes
#
# CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_FC_ATTRS is not set

#
# SCSI low-level drivers
#
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=y

#
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
#

#
# Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)
#

#
# Fusion MPT device support
#

#
# IEEE 1394 (FireWire) support
#
CONFIG_IEEE1394=y

#
# Subsystem Options
#

#
# Device Drivers
#

#
# Texas Instruments PCILynx requires I2C
#
CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=y

#
# Protocol Drivers
#
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_VIDEO1394 is not set
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2_PHYS_DMA=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_DV1394=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=y

#
# I2O device support
#
# CONFIG_I2O is not set

#
# Networking support
#
CONFIG_NET=y

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_NET_IPIP=y
CONFIG_INET_TUNNEL=y

#
# IP: Virtual Server Configuration
#
CONFIG_IPV6=y
CONFIG_IPV6_PRIVACY=y
CONFIG_INET6_AH=y
CONFIG_INET6_ESP=y
CONFIG_INET6_IPCOMP=y
CONFIG_INET6_TUNNEL=y
CONFIG_IPV6_TUNNEL=y
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y

#
# IP: Netfilter Configuration
#
CONFIG_IP_NF_CONNTRACK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_FTP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_IRC=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TFTP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_AMANDA=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_QUEUE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_IPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LIMIT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_IPRANGE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MAC=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_PKTTYPE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MARK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TOS=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_RECENT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_ECN=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_DSCP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_AH_ESP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_LENGTH=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TTL=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_TCPMSS=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_HELPER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_STATE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_CONNTRACK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REJECT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_LOG=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ULOG=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TCPMSS=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_NEEDED=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MASQUERADE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_REDIRECT=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_NETMAP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_SAME=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_LOCAL=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_SNMP_BASIC=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_IRC=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_FTP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_TFTP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_NAT_AMANDA=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_MANGLE=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_TOS=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_ECN=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_DSCP=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_MARK=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_CLASSIFY=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARPFILTER=y
CONFIG_IP_NF_ARP_MANGLE=y

#
# IPv6: Netfilter Configuration
#
# CONFIG_IP6_NF_QUEUE is not set
CONFIG_IP6_NF_IPTABLES=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_LIMIT=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_MAC=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_RT=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_OPTS=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_FRAG=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_HL=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_MULTIPORT=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_OWNER=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_MARK=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_IPV6HEADER=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_AHESP=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_LENGTH=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MATCH_EUI64=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_FILTER=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_TARGET_LOG=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_MANGLE=y
CONFIG_IP6_NF_TARGET_MARK=y
CONFIG_XFRM=y

#
# SCTP Configuration (EXPERIMENTAL)
#
#
# QoS and/or fair queueing
#
# CONFIG_NET_SCHED is not set
# CONFIG_NET_CLS_ROUTE is not set

#
# Network testing
#
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=y

#
# ARCnet devices
#
# CONFIG_ARCNET is not set

#
# Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)
#
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_MII=y

#
# Tulip family network device support
#
CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
CONFIG_8139TOO=y

#
# Ethernet (1000 Mbit)
#

#
# Ethernet (10000 Mbit)
#

#
# Token Ring devices
#

#
# Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
#

#
# Wan interfaces
#

#
# ISDN subsystem
#
# CONFIG_ISDN is not set

#
# Telephony Support
#
# CONFIG_PHONE is not set

#
# Input device support
#
CONFIG_INPUT=y

#
# Userland interfaces
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=768

#
# Input I/O drivers
#
CONFIG_SOUND_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SERIO=y
CONFIG_SERIO_I8042=y

#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_KEYBOARD_ATKBD=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MISC=y
CONFIG_INPUT_PCSPKR=y

#
# Character devices
#
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y

#
# Serial drivers
#
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4

#
# Non-8250 serial port support
#
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_CORE_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_UNIX98_PTYS=y
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y
CONFIG_LEGACY_PTY_COUNT=256
CONFIG_PRINTER=y

#
# IPMI
#
# CONFIG_IPMI_HANDLER is not set

#
# Watchdog Cards
#
# CONFIG_WATCHDOG is not set
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=y
CONFIG_RTC=y

#
# Ftape, the floppy tape device driver
#
CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH=y

#
# I2C support
#
# CONFIG_I2C is not set

#
# Dallas's 1-wire bus
#
# CONFIG_W1 is not set

#
# Misc devices
#
# CONFIG_IBM_ASM is not set

#
# Multimedia devices
#
# CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV is not set

#
# Digital Video Broadcasting Devices
#
# CONFIG_DVB is not set

#
# Graphics support
#
# CONFIG_FB is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT is not set

#
# Console display driver support
#
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y

#
# Sound
#
# CONFIG_SOUND is not set

#
# USB support
#
CONFIG_USB=y

#
# Miscellaneous USB options
#
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y

#
# USB Host Controller Drivers
#
CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD=y
CONFIG_USB_UHCI_HCD=y

#
# USB Device Class drivers
#
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y

#
# USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
#
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
CONFIG_USB_HIDINPUT=y

#
# USB Imaging devices
#

#
# USB Multimedia devices
#
# CONFIG_USB_DABUSB is not set

#
# Video4Linux support is needed for USB Multimedia device support
#

#
# USB Network adaptors
#
# USB port drivers
#
# CONFIG_USB_USS720 is not set

#
# USB Serial Converter support
#
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL is not set

#
# USB Miscellaneous drivers
#

#
# USB Gadget Support
#

#
# File systems
#
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_JBD=y
CONFIG_FS_MBCACHE=y
CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=y

#
# CD-ROM/DVD Filesystems
#
CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=y
CONFIG_JOLIET=y
CONFIG_UDF_FS=y
CONFIG_UDF_NLS=y

#
# DOS/FAT/NT Filesystems
#
CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=y
CONFIG_VFAT_FS=y
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_CODEPAGE=437
CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_IOCHARSET="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NTFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NTFS_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_NTFS_RW=y

#
# Pseudo filesystems
#
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
CONFIG_PROC_KCORE=y
CONFIG_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_TMPFS=y
CONFIG_RAMFS=y

#
# Miscellaneous filesystems
#
CONFIG_HFS_FS=y
CONFIG_HFSPLUS_FS=y

#
# Network File Systems
#
CONFIG_NFS_FS=y
CONFIG_NFSD=y
CONFIG_LOCKD=y
CONFIG_EXPORTFS=y
CONFIG_SUNRPC=y
CONFIG_SMB_FS=y

#
# Partition Types
#
CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y

#
# Native Language Support
#
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="iso8859-1"
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y

#
# Profiling support
#
CONFIG_PROFILING=y
CONFIG_OPROFILE=y

#
# Kernel hacking
#
CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SLAB=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER=y
CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_STACKOVERFLOW=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_PAGEALLOC=y
CONFIG_X86_FIND_SMP_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_X86_MPPARSE=y

#
# Security options
#
# CONFIG_SECURITY is not set

#
# Cryptographic options
#
CONFIG_CRYPTO=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_HMAC=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_NULL=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD4=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD5=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA512=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DES=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLOWFISH=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_TWOFISH=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SERPENT=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CAST5=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CAST6=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEFLATE=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_TEST=y

#
# Library routines
#
# CONFIG_CRC_CCITT is not set
CONFIG_CRC32=y
CONFIG_LIBCRC32C=y
CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE=y
CONFIG_ZLIB_DEFLATE=y
CONFIG_X86_SMP=y
CONFIG_X86_HT=y
CONFIG_X86_BIOS_REBOOT=y
CONFIG_X86_TRAMPOLINE=y
CONFIG_PC=y

@ 2004-09-15 22:59             ` Darren Williams
From: Darren Williams @ 2004-09-15 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Troy McFerrron; +Cc: linux-kernel, dsw

Hi Troy

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Troy McFerrron wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:11:14 +1000, Darren Williams
> <dsw@gelato.unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, hotdog day wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have any other suggestions on this issue? I know others
> > > who are experincing the same thing.
> > >

> Darren, could you send me your kernel .config so I can do a diff and
> see what you might be doing differently?
Over night I compiled and tested with X on results are OK
Quick mount, unmount of cd drive OK
LTP tests OK

Config file and results at:
http://quasar.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dsw/public-files/x86/with-X/