* -final, a huge keyboard lag is back
@ 2004-10-18 15:39 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2004-10-18 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Greetings;

for the last 3 or 4 minor revisions, and 3 different kde installs I
have had a situation wherein the keyboard repeat goes down to less
than 1 per second, making it very difficult to go back and fix the
typu's my ancient fingers inevitably make.  The effect came and went
at seemingly random times.

I hadn't noticed the effect during the approaches to final, -rc4 in
particular maintained its snappiness from the keyboard very well.

This is not accompanied by an observable amount of cpu usage either.
But its back, sometimes non-stop for several minutes at a time with
-final.  I have NDI where to look, so I'll leave that to those that
breath src code in their sleep.  In this sense, I'm a dumb beta
tester making a use/feel report.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: -final, a huge keyboard lag is back
@ 2004-10-18 20:01 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2004-10-18 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gene.heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> for the last 3 or 4 minor revisions, and 3 different kde installs I
> have had a situation wherein the keyboard repeat goes down to less
> than 1 per second, making it very difficult to go back and fix the
> typu's my ancient fingers inevitably make.  The effect came and went
> at seemingly random times.

Does this happen on console, or just in X?

I am currently seeing:  fast keyboard repeat immediately after keypress,
for one second.  After that, keyboard repeat slows immediately and
dramatically, to a slower but consistent repeat rate.

This doesn't happen in console.

	Jeff

* Re: -final, a huge keyboard lag is back
@ 2004-10-18 22:26   ` Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2004-10-18 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Jeff Garzik

On Monday 18 October 2004 16:01, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> for the last 3 or 4 minor revisions, and 3 different kde installs
>> I have had a situation wherein the keyboard repeat goes down to
>> less than 1 per second, making it very difficult to go back and
>> fix the typu's my ancient fingers inevitably make.  The effect
>> came and went at seemingly random times.
>
>Does this happen on console, or just in X?

Not so far as I've checked Jeff.  I normally run x here and the
console is basicly for emergencies in my mindset.

>I am currently seeing:  fast keyboard repeat immediately after
> keypress, for one second.  After that, keyboard repeat slows
> immediately and dramatically, to a slower but consistent repeat
> rate.

I'm not seeing that, and its more than occasionally missing a keypress
I know darned well I hit.   ATM its not doing it, but then I'm
rebooted to -rc4 due to instability in final.  I've canceled an
option I had set in the -finals .config, and a fresh copy is making
now.  So we'll be able to go back to testing -final in a short.

>This doesn't happen in console.

I can't say as I've ever noticed it from the first 6 vt's.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)