* System freeze on switching from X to console in 2.6.9
@ 2004-10-19 19:14 Vinu Moses
From: Vinu Moses @ 2004-10-19 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

My system locks up every time I try to switch from X to console using
Ctrl+Alt+x or when I log out of X. I run the system on init 3 and use
startx to get X running. Nothing but a power reset brings the system
out of it. And I'm also unable to ssh into the system from a remote box
once it locks up. The problem's reproducible with both ATI's
proprietary fglrx drivers (4.3.0-3.14.1) and the GPL'd ATI drivers
included in X.org 6.7.0.

There are no incriminating errors in the logs on rebooting.

The problem existed in all versions of 2.6 upto 2.6.7...... seemed to be
fixed in 2.6.8 and 2.6.8.1, both of which worked well. The problem
seems to have resurfaced in 2.6.9.

I'm using Fedora Core 2 with all updates applied and a plain 2.6.9
kernel from www.kernel.org. The hardware's an Asus AV333 (VIA KT-333
chipset) motherboard, Athlon XP 1800+, ATI Radeon 9800Pro AGP with
128MB ram.

Looks like an AGP problem to me (wild guess), but I don't seem to have
the brains (or talent, for that matter) to figure it out any further.

Regards,
Vinu.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2004-10-19 19:22 UTC | newest]