* Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc1-mm2-V0.7.1
@ 2004-11-04 16:22 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-04 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Karsten Wiese, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, K.R. Foley, linux-kernel,
	Florian Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano, Lee Revell,
	Rui Nuno Capela, Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt

>what priority does events/0 and events/1 have? keventd handles part of
>the mouse/keyboard workload.
The default priorities and not RT.

ps -eo pid,pri,rtprio,cmd
  6  34    -  [events/0]
  7  34    -  [events/1]
I can set those as well but then I'd probably have to follow with
the X server and everything else in the chain. The starvation problem
ripples across the system.

Will try the patch shortly and get back on the results later today.

--Mark H Johnson
  <mailto:Mark_H_Johnson@raytheon.com>

* Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc1-mm2-V0.7.1
@ 2004-11-04 19:39 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Mark_H_Johnson, Karsten Wiese, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, K.R. Foley,
	linux-kernel, Florian Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano,
	Lee Revell, Rui Nuno Capela, Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt

>there was one place missing - does the patch below fix this type of
>deadlock?

A different deadlock this time, same two actors but apparently a
different pair of locks.

Will send the full console log shortly.
  --Mark

BUG: circular semaphore deadlock detected!
ksoftirqd/1/6 is deadlocking current task ksoftirqd/0/3

1) ksoftirqd/0/3 is trying to acquire this lock:
 [dfb5c8a4] {r:0,a:-1,&n->lock}
.. held by:       ksoftirqd/1/    6 [dff886f0,   0]
... acquired at:  arp_solicit+0x167/0x230
... trying at:   neigh_update+0x2a/0x390

2) ksoftirqd/1/6 is blocked on this lock:
 [c03c8900] {r:1,a:-1,ptype_lock}
.. held by:       ksoftirqd/0/    3 [dffe8020,   0]
... acquired at:  net_rx_action+0x8e/0x200

------------------------------
------------------------------

#001:             [d9044c30] {r:0,a:-1,&tp->rx_lock}
... acquired at:  rtl8139_poll+0x48/0x180 [8139too]

------------------------------
------------------------------

#001:             [dfb5c8a4] {r:0,a:-1,&n->lock}

@ 2004-11-04 17:52 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-04 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Karsten Wiese, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, K.R. Foley, linux-kernel,
	Florian Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano, Lee Revell,
	Rui Nuno Capela, Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt

>Perhaps "should be fine" but the test I just ran indicates otherwise.
>The kernel is -V0.7.7 plus the patch you just sent me.
>All IRQ and /# tasks were set to RT priority 99.

A follow up to my previous message since the test just completed
with the following results:

2.6.10-rc1-mm2-RT-V0.7.7
181 packets lost (5%)
0.343, 2525.872, 213979, 21685 (min, average, max, deviation)
elapsed time was 3090 seconds

There was a burst of lost packets between seq 1777 and 1959,
that appears to cover all the lost ones. There was also a big
delay (up to 27305 msec) at seq 1665 through 1699 but no lost
packets. If I throw out those data points, the max drops to
something like 1800 msec and the average is in the 0.4 to 0.5
msec range.

The display lockup on the top test was a little odd. The window
that should have shown top appeared blank, stayed on the screen
for several seconds and then disappeared by itself. Apparently
top didn't even get enough CPU time to display the first cycle
before its time ran out. The audio test continued to run a while
after than & then stopped itself when the script noticed that top
was done.

The display lockups on the other tests (network and disk I/O)
were much less severe though still present at times.

@ 2004-11-04 16:53 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-04 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Karsten Wiese, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, K.R. Foley, linux-kernel,
	Florian Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano, Lee Revell,
	Rui Nuno Capela, Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt

>> I can set those as well but then I'd probably have to follow with
>> the X server and everything else in the chain. The starvation problem
>> ripples across the system.
>
>X should be scheduled on the other CPU just fine. Only per-CPU kernel
>threads (which are affine to their particular CPU) are affected by this
>problem - ordinary tasks not. I.e. the system threads that have /0 and
>/1 in their name. In theory you should not even need to chrt the hardirq
>threads, those should schedule fine too.
Perhaps "should be fine" but the test I just ran indicates otherwise.
The kernel is -V0.7.7 plus the patch you just sent me.
All IRQ and /# tasks were set to RT priority 99.

Started the X test and the display locked up almost immediately while
ping responses continued to flow on a regular basis. After several seconds
I could see the display update / move the mouse & then the display locked
up again. It went back and forth a couple cycles and did not get unstuck
until the RT audio application quit (over 250000 samples).

I will let it run to see if I can reproduce the deadlock or if the symptoms
change with one of the other tests.

@ 2004-11-04 16:04 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-04 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Mark_H_Johnson, Karsten Wiese, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, K.R. Foley,
	linux-kernel, Florian Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano,
	Lee Revell, Rui Nuno Capela, Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt

>does the ping phenomenon go away if you chrt both the networking IRQ
>thread and both ksoftirqd's to above the RT task's priority?

For the most part, yes. I reran the test with -V0.7.7 and had continuous
ping responses until the system locked up with yet another deadlock. This
did NOT fix the display / mouse movement lockups. All IRQ and ksoftirqd
tasks were RT 99 priority for this test. latencytest ran at RT 30 priority.

The response time while RT was active looked like this...

# ping dws77
PING dws77 (192.52.216.87) from 192.52.215.17 : 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from dws77 (192.52.216.87): icmp_seq=1 ttl=63 time=0.590 ms
64 bytes from dws77 (192.52.216.87): icmp_seq=2 ttl=63 time=0.468 ms
64 bytes from dws77 (192.52.216.87): icmp_seq=3 ttl=63 time=0.542 ms
64 bytes from dws77 (192.52.216.87): icmp_seq=4 ttl=63 time=0.492 ms

Note the response times are about 2x what I saw with the other kernels.
The max delay was about 200 msec.

The deadlock was between the two ksoftirqd tasks...

BUG: circular semaphore deadlock detected!
ksoftirqd/1/6 is deadlocking current task ksoftirqd/0/3

1) ksoftirqd/0/3 is trying to acquire this lock:
 [cb4640c0] {r:0,a:-1,&((sk)->sk_lock.slock)}
.. held by:       ksoftirqd/1/    6 [dff866f0,   0]
... acquired at:  tcp_delack_timer+0x22/0x220
... trying at:   tcp_v4_rcv+0x69b/0xb00

2) ksoftirqd/1/6 is blocked on this lock:
 [c03c8900] {r:2,a:-1,ptype_lock}

#001:             [d84a7c30] {r:0,a:-1,&tp->rx_lock}

------------------------------

#001:             [cb4640c0] {r:0,a:-1,&((sk)->sk_lock.slock)}
... acquired at:  tcp_delack_timer+0x22/0x220

Appears that both were working on network operations concurrently.
Will send the full serial console log separately.

  --Mark

* Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc1-mm2-V0.7.1
@ 2004-11-04 15:02 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-04 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Karsten Wiese, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, K.R. Foley, linux-kernel,
	Florian Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano, Lee Revell,
	Rui Nuno Capela, Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt

Let me follow up briefly on the regression I noticed yesterday on ping
were used for the tests, both dual 866 Mhz Pentium III systems, identical
except for the software. The "old" machine is running Red Hat 7.3 with a
2.4.24 preempt, low latency kernel. The "new" machine is running Fedora
Core 2 with a 2.6 kernel as indicated below. The other difference that may
be significant is the "old" system uses OSS and the new one uses ALSA for
the audio output (source of latencytest application is unchanged for all
three tests).

The data below is from using another machine to ping the system under test.

2.4.24 preempt + low latency on "old" machine

430 seconds for the complete series of tests
0 lost packets
0.248, 0.322, 2.82, 0.145 (min, average, max, deviation)

2.6.5-1.358smp [from fedora core 2] on "new" machine

658 seconds for the complete series of tests
0 lost packets
0.148, 0.207, 1.952, 0.097 (min, average, max, deviation)
This system also lost the mouse (screaming interrupts, IRQ 10 disabled).

2.6.9-rc3-mm3-VP-T3 on "new machine"

955 seconds for the complete series of tests
539 lost packets
0.215, 17971, 287799, 63054 (min, average, max, deviation)

I did not repeat the tests on -V0.7.7, but I expect them to come out
similar to -T3 above based on what I saw yesterday. In any case, the loss
of network data appears significant with both the voluntary preempt &
realtime preempt patches on 2.6 kernels.

@ 2004-11-03 20:40 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-03 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: Karsten Wiese, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, K.R. Foley, linux-kernel,
	Florian Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano, Lee Revell,
	Rui Nuno Capela, Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt

I reran my tests on -T3 to see if the same symptoms I saw with -V0.7.7
were present with the older (preempt, not RT) patches.

> - whenever the real time test was active, responses to ping from another
>system would basically stop until the real time test was done. In one case
>about 25 ping packets were returned after a huge delay. From that, it
>appears they were received but the return was delayed.
Same with -T3. What's really odd is that it stopped during the network
tests as well; may indicate that the network tests don't actually run
during the real time audio test. Hmm. Will modify the stress_neti and
stress_neto scripts I use to dump after each file transfer & see if
this is true or not. That certainly was not the case on 2.4 kernels
so this looks like a serious regression.

> - cat /proc/interrupts showed that LOC was increasing on both CPU's
>during the tests.
Did not check this, but I wasn't seeing the severe lockups of the display
on -T3 either. Yes - it is sometimes slow to update, but not stopping
display updates for extended periods.

> - the scheduler seems to prefer run my cpu_burn (nice'd) task instead
>of updating the X display, doing the latency timing checks, ping
>and anything else that does useful work.
To some extent, I see this symptom too. I watched the system with top
during the network and disk tests and it would stop updating for several
seconds (should be one second updates) during the test (and usually show
cpu_burn at > 90% CPU), then do a flurry of updates, and then sometimes
settle down to the one per second update for several seconds in a row.

> - the disk write test was REALLY SLOW, perhaps hundreds of Kbytes per
>second instead of what I normally see. I took much longer than the real
>time audio test. I checked with top and noticed that "fam" was taking
>near 100% of CPU time. I closed my konqueror window (just happened to be
>looking at my test directory) and fam usage went away and the disk writes
>sped up considerably.
This was much less severe in -T3. What I saw was that fam would show up
for several seconds and then disappear from the top list for several
seconds. The disk transfer speed also appeared to be much faster on -T3
than -V0.7.7 when fam was active. (based on how much clock time the
test took to perform)

@ 2004-11-03 18:24 Mark_H_Johnson
From: Mark_H_Johnson @ 2004-11-03 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ingo Molnar
  Cc: linux-kernel, Lee Revell, Rui Nuno Capela, Mark_H_Johnson,
	K.R. Foley, Bill Huey, Adam Heath, Florian Schmidt,
	Thomas Gleixner, Michal Schmidt, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano,
	Karsten Wiese

>i have released the -V0.7.1 Real-Time Preemption patch, which can be
>downloaded from:
>
>    http://redhat.com/~mingo/realtime-preempt/

V0.7.1 had build problems but after applying V0.7.7, I got a clean build
and was able to do some testing.

 - single user and telnet 5 were uneventful

 - preempt_wakeup_timing (PWT) is still generating false positives on SMP

 - after disabling PWT, I ran for over an hour without any latency
traces > 200 usec.

 - no crashes, lockups, or other fatal behavior in that same period

 - X test was generally OK. A few bursts of high overhead (> 1 msec)
on the CPU task and worst case was > 2 msec.

 - top test was a little cleaner, but its worst case was much worse
(over 17 msec).

 - network tests were similar, with even longer worst cases (21 msec and
32 msec)

 - disk I/O tests had some really odd results. The write test was much
cleaner than read / copy. All tests had > 25 msec worst cases. The read
test also had a pretty consistent variation on CPU overhead, about 500 usec
range (compared to 1160 usec nominal duration) in CPU loop timing.

A few other things I noticed:
 - whenever the real time test was active, responses to ping from another
system would basically stop until the real time test was done. In one case
about 25 ping packets were returned after a huge delay. From that, it
appears they were received but the return was delayed.
 - cat /proc/interrupts showed that LOC was increasing on both CPU's
during the tests.
 - the scheduler seems to prefer run my cpu_burn (nice'd) task instead
of updating the X display, doing the latency timing checks, ping responses,
and anything else that does useful work.
 - the disk write test was REALLY SLOW, perhaps hundreds of Kbytes per
second instead of what I normally see. I took much longer than the real
time audio test. I checked with top and noticed that "fam" was taking
near 100% of CPU time. I closed my konqueror window (just happened to be
looking at my test directory) and fam usage went away and the disk writes
sped up considerably. I don't recall seeing this symptom on -T3 or
previous tests, may try that later today to see if this is an old problem
or not.

This appears to be more stable than anything else since -T3 but the
odd spikes and scheduling symptoms are quite troubling.
  --Mark

* [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U5
@ 2004-10-18 14:50 Ingo Molnar
From: Ingo Molnar @ 2004-10-18 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel
  Cc: Lee Revell, Rui Nuno Capela, Mark_H_Johnson, K.R. Foley,
	Bill Huey, Adam Heath, Florian Schmidt

i have released the -U5 Real-Time Preemption patch:

  http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U5

this is a release intended to increase stability, but since it also
includes new debug features and related cleanups it might introduce new
regressions. Be careful.

there are two big changes:

 - debug feature: automatic semaphore/rwsem deadlock detection, based on
   the code from Igor Manyilov and Bill Huey.

this is a very nice feature that should help in debugging the remaining
deadlocks. The deadlock detection feature has already helped me fix a
bug that was causing hangs in the VFS, so it's really useful.

 - generic semaphore implementation

the generic semaphore implementation (which uses rwsems) makes it
possible to use the deadlock detection mechanism for all the mutex types
we currently have: semaphores, rw-semaphores, spinlock-mutexes and
rwlock-mutexes. Another benefit is that PREEMPT_REALTIME becomes much
more portable this way. (although it's still x86-only at the moment.)

other changes since -U4:

 - crash fix: fixed a possible "unbound recursion upon IRQ entry" bug.
   introduced preempt_schedule_irq() which now schedules without
   enabling interrupts again, preventing new IRQs from hitting this
   task again and triggering preemption. This might fix the
   'infinite stackdumps' problem Rui Nuno Capela was seeing.

 - deadlock fix: is_subdir()'s PREEMPT_REALTIME locking was buggy. This
   could perhaps fix the other problem reported by Rui Nuno Capela.

 - i8253_lock fixes: apm, hd.c, gameport.c and analog.c were all
   improperly importing the variable while overriding the prototype.
   This fixes the bug reported by Florian Schmidt.

 - possible crash fix: one particular lock in selinux has to be
   mutex-based, because while held it calls other mutex-using code.

 - two more selinux locks converted to raw spinlocks, because they were
   called from within raw-critical sections.

 - debug feature: enforce interrupts-enabled upon schedule().
   (Note that this does not break sleep_on() because sleep_on() does not
   disable interrupts in the PREEMPT_REALTIME mode. It might break with
   !PREEMPT_REALTIME though.)

 - locking cleanup: converted the IPC code from raw spinlocks & RCU to
   spinlock-mutexes.

 - code cleanup: cleaned up the generic rwsem code.

 - debug feature: implemented /proc/sys/kernel/trace_verbose runtime
   flag (default:0), which enables a much more verbose printout in
   /proc/latency_trace.  This trace format can be useful in e.g.
   debugging timestamp weirdnesses.

 - irqs-off fix: there was one codepath where irqd would call schedule()
   with interrupts disabled.

 - debug feature: the NMI entries in the latency trace now also include
   the last-observed-EFLAGS value. Can be useful in figuring out what a
   certain CPU is doing and why.

 - cleanup: fixed preemption-off ordering: often the spinlock (and
   scheduler) code would re-enable preemption and interrupts in the
   wrong order, opening up a small window for an interrupt handler to
   fit in and increase the latency of that almost-finished critical
   section.

 - cleanup: consolidated various bug-printouts. It should now be easy to
   find whether anything bad happens even amongst lots of preempt-timing
   printouts: 'dmesg | grep BUG'.

to create a -U5 tree from scratch, the patching order is:

   http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.8.tar.bz2
 + http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.9-rc4.bz2
 + http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.9-rc4/2.6.9-rc4-mm1/2.6.9-rc4-mm1.bz2
 + http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U5