* Re: Audio problems on AMD64 with Via K8T800 chipset
@ 2004-11-24 18:51 surya
From: surya @ 2004-11-24 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Olavo B D'Antonio

I am using AMD 3400+ with fedora core -3 (alsa 1.0.6) .
It seems to be fine for me.

-surya

On Wed Nov 24 11:18 , Olavo B D'Antonio <olavobdantonio@ig.com.br> sent:

@ 2004-11-25  1:08 Eric Sharkey
From: Eric Sharkey @ 2004-11-25  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 14:36:48 EST Lee Revell wrote:

> This may have already been covered on the alsa list, but...
>
> Have any of you tried the OSS drivers?

I've just tried the OSS Trident driver.  It sounds different.

I'm still getting noticable audio dropouts in bumprace.  Timidity
sounds ok, now.  Other apps sound, oh, I don't know, scratchy is the
best word, I guess.  It's almost as if the dropouts are occuring
more frequently (much more frequently) but with shorter duration,
making it sound like scratchy sound rather than sound with punctuated
silence as it did under Alsa.

Maybe some sort of interrupt handling problem not getting the bits
where they need to be at the right time?

Eric

* Re: Audio problems on AMD64 with Via K8T800 chipset
@ 2004-11-24 23:54 ` Sven Hartge
From: Sven Hartge @ 2004-11-24 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Eric Sharkey <sharkey@netrics.com> wrote:

> There seems to be a problem with Alsa when running on the AMD64
> architecture on motherboards with the Via K8T800 chipset.  The sound
> is highly irregular, with lots of drop-outs, but also speed-ups,
> slow-downs and weird volume changes.

While using the in-kernel Alsa, my ens1371 based Soundblaster behaved
the same way, but with the seperate Alsa modules (1.0.6a from Debian
unstable) the blopping, crackling etc. is far less present, but still
audible in some cases, mostly disk I/O.

(Kernel 2.6.9 with staircase 9.1, Abit KV8 Pro, AMD64 3200+)

Grüße,
S°

* Re: Audio problems on AMD64 with Via K8T800 chipset
@ 2004-11-24 21:34 Eric Sharkey
From: Eric Sharkey @ 2004-11-24 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Wed Nov 24 2004 - 14:51:22 EST surya wrote:
> I am using AMD 3400+ with fedora core -3 (alsa 1.0.6) .
> It seems to be fine for me.

The motherboard chipset is very important.  Do you have a Via K8T800
based motherboard?  These are the only ones that seem to be affected
by this.

Eric

* Re: Audio problems on AMD64 with Via K8T800 chipset
@ 2004-11-24 18:18     ` Olavo B D'Antonio
From: Olavo B D'Antonio @ 2004-11-24 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2004-11-24 16:48   ` Lee Revell